F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the main reasons you decided to purchase a F150 Ecoboost?

For me it was a blend between the great looking gauges, nice sporty interior (FX4 Model), large backseats for the family (Crew cab), good power/torque for towing, and better fuel economy then my last truck (Tundra).

·
Registered
2 Posts
After looking at all the trucks available, it was the 3.5L engine, I wish the ecboost motor was offered in a chevy with a dodge interior. Ive had it three months and like it a lot. I'm really a chevy guy but that same ole 5.3 engine they have used for 20 years is old tech. Dodge is underpowered

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum Mark. Yeah I agree the new Ram has some nice interior. I was actually considering a ram 2500HD diesel before I bought the f150eb. The cost of diesel + the fact it wouldn't fit in my garage were the main reasons I decided against it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wanted a crewcab upgrade over my old supercab. Upgraded to leather and all the new electronics too. Big changes in Fords compared to the 2000 F150 I had!
We love the roominess and comfort inside and the ride is excellent too.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I test drove the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford. I love the Ford room and interior over the others. The EB had plenty of power for the camper, and Ford is the only new pickup that offers a 6 1/2' box for quadcabs in a 1/2 ton. I wasn't gonna buy a $3000 hitch for my camper cause others don't offer what people need for 5th wheel campers. I must say after my 1st summer with the camper, I have no regrets.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I was going diesel until I started analysing cost vs. benefit and stumbled on the Ecoboost. Did research, filetered bs and made decision about a year ago. Started saving my nickels and dimes and pulled the pin a couple months ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Almost bought off-the-lot. For my anticipated long-term ownership I must get 6-1/2 foot bed instead. Time to upgrade my 2003 F150 SuperCrew. My wife alerted me to this in that a 5th wheeler may be in the future of our re-entry into RV'ing.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've had many iterations of motors in the many 150's I've owned. I've never been as excited by a motor in any of the prior purchases until the EB. I'm continually impressed with the power from this little motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I actually was looking for an F-250 with the 6.2, but at the time there were none to be found. I was driving an F-250 with the 5.4, but after driving the F-150 Ecoboost and sneaking out to pull my mustang on my trailer, I was totally hooked. This Ecoboost pulls my car and trailer better than my old F-250.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mark,

I am looking to replace my 2002 Super Crew 5.4 with a 2013 EB. Also have been looking at the Tundra Crewmax.

Tundra is very comfortable to drive, fits like a glove, console shift is really cool with the manual shift mode it feels like a sports car. Rear crew I believe would be appreciated by the kids with the reclining seats. The V8 is a force to be reckoned with and you have to love the way it sounds when you hit the gas.

F150 supercrew has a more functional rear cab with the flip up seats. EB power is every bit as good as the tundra 0-60 but does not feel as strong accelerating from 60 to pass. Gas mileage looks to be a solid 3 mpg better. Gotta give the F150 the nod in the looks department.

My opinion was based on testing driving a few of each. Any other words of wisdom being that you have owned both? I pull a 2000# boat or a 6000# camper. Both vehicles, I think, from a towing standpoint will outperform my 5.4 Triton with only 3 gears (OD locked out).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Several reasons, and pulling the toy hauler was paramount among them. I own an Avalanche and absolutely love the thing. Its long in tooth now and never would pull the trailer with ease but it would do it. Interior room in the F-150 is cavernous compared to the old truck. Fuel mileage is about 4 mpg better on the highway and about 3 mpg better towing. I didn't want the maintenance headache of a diesel. (my son has two diesels and watching him at oil change, fuel filter change time makes me cringe)
The EB pulls like a bull and with the firestone air bags, rides like a caddy with 1100 pounds of tongue weight. Oh, and its RED. And the price was right.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mark,

I am looking to replace my 2002 Super Crew 5.4 with a 2013 EB. Also have been looking at the Tundra Crewmax.

Tundra is very comfortable to drive, fits like a glove, console shift is really cool with the manual shift mode it feels like a sports car. Rear crew I believe would be appreciated by the kids with the reclining seats. The V8 is a force to be reckoned with and you have to love the way it sounds when you hit the gas.

F150 supercrew has a more functional rear cab with the flip up seats. EB power is every bit as good as the tundra 0-60 but does not feel as strong accelerating from 60 to pass. Gas mileage looks to be a solid 3 mpg better. Gotta give the F150 the nod in the looks department.

My opinion was based on testing driving a few of each. Any other words of wisdom being that you have owned both? I pull a 2000# boat or a 6000# camper. Both vehicles, I think, from a towing standpoint will outperform my 5.4 Triton with only 3 gears (OD locked out).
What impressed me the most about the eB was that most of its torque comes in around 2300 rpm. I pull an 8000 pound toy hauler (loaded) and with the select shift transmission, I can lock out 6th gear and forget about it. Yes is will down shift on the bigger hills but for the most part will haul along at any speed I want. It will pull 6th gear on flat ground with ease but head winds of any consequence will have it downshifting so I just lock out 6th and go. Its not a big diesel, but its close. With the trans in 5th, 70 is right in the fat part of the torque curve and I've seen as high as 15 mpg on flat ground with no head wind. But that's rare in the texas panhandle so don't take that to heart. I've never driven a toyota so can't comment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a 2002 super duty crewcab with the V-10 that was rated to pull 12,500, but the fuel mileage with the 4.30 gears was around 8 mpg city and 12 highway. I have a 2009 toyota tacoma 4 cylinder 5 speed stick that I use for my daily driver and I'm going to one truck with the F-150 purchase. The fact that the F-150 ecoboost was rated to pull 11,200 and gets a lot better mileage than my super duty was my main reason to buy it. The ride, crew cab room, navigation, and backup camera also helped me in my decision.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had an 07 FX4 Screw 6.5' bed. 5.4 engine. I was 100% happy with this truck. But one of my sons needed a better truck, so I agreed to sell him my truck.

So I went to my local dealer and basicly ordered the same truck I had only with the EB engine.

I had ordered a new SCAB 8' bed XLT for my business in 11 and they tried to sell me the EB then. But I had been burned by the 6.0 I wanted to wait a year or two on the EB. But when my 11 came in the same day as the first EB at our dealer they wanted me to test drive the EB. I WAS BLOWN AWAY!

And decided when I replaced my 07 it would be with an EB (if they were pretty much trouble free)

But I love the Sync and back up camera and well as the built in trailer brake!

So far the MPG is about the same as my 5.4 but the people I have talked to said it gets better around 5k miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was driving a 2011 Silverado ext.cab with a 5.3L and needed more room. I initially checked out the Chevy crew cabs but the Ford crew cab has way more room. I was shocked by the ride of the 2013 Ford Eco Boost. It is more comfordable than my Chevy was and gets better fuel mileage. Plus Chevrolet has done nothing in the last 6 years to keep me buying Chevy's. The interior bells and whistles along with the ride and comfort will keep me in a Ford for a long time I have a feeling.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
23 Participants
Dabmeb
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing