F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering at what mileage everyone changes spark plugs? Mine is 2018 2.7L with 25,400 miles , no tune run 87 octane gas.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Wondering at what mileage everyone changes spark plugs? Mine is 2018 2.7L with 25,400 miles , no tune run 87 octane gas.
Not running tunes I’d do 30k-40k changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
every 25k

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I’ll be doing mine around 60k. Also not tuned. Longer then most will tell you. Mostly because it runs like new still and gas mileage has been the same. When I do it I’m sure I’ll post pics and see how big the gaps got.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I’ll be doing mine around 60k. Also not tuned. Longer then most will tell you. Mostly because it runs like new still and gas mileage has been the same. When I do it I’m sure I’ll post pics and see how big the gaps got.
I do think if you're not having issues longer is no problem, my 2.7 I never changed the factory plugs, and that was running an E30 tune the majority of the time. Had no issues at all

Reactions: EcoXLT

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I’m curious what plugs everyone is using now that the 542 has been discontinued?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
i'm about ready to drop in some sp-580's this week in my 2012.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
So the 580s are basically regular heat right? Not a step cooler

·
Registered
5,226 Posts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
542's

I did some quick searches.

542 were stock on 2.7 and are heat range 7. For those who do not know, higher heat range number is colder. The new 2.7 plug is apparently a 6 rating and different design.

the 534/580, difference unknown, is a 6 heat range.

Now the ford racing "cold" plugs are 542.

If you want the 542, order NGK 6510. It is heat range 7, i confirmed and I know a number of people running these on boosted 5.0s.

That being said, I will stick with my 534/580 now in the future unless I get some sort of issue, then I will switch to the ngk 6510.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put 30k on a 2018 3.5 in about 13 months. 10k of those miles were pulling a 7500 lbs trailer all over states east of the Mississippi. It runs like a scalded dog ,I mean "strong" . On the interstate it was get 26 without the trailer, and pulled that 7k around like nothing. The only thing I did was change oil on time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did mine at 60k and everything looked great. The factory plugs looked surprisingly good. I was originally told that the ecoboost eat plugs and dirties oil but I have not had an issue with either.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I did mine at 60k and everything looked great. The factory plugs looked surprisingly good. I was originally told that the ecoboost eat plugs and dirties oil but I have not had an issue with either.
I’m expecting the same as you. But early maintenance isn’t a bad thing. Makes me feel good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine would eat plus every 10,000 miles or so until I gapped them down to.026. I change them every year. That's about 35,000 miles or so. I am running a 93 octane tune also. I still average 18.8 mpg in mixed driving and 21+ on the road. I am thinking of taking advantage of the deals going on now, but I will keep this one. I love this truck!

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
This all started back in 2011 when Ford spec'd platinum plugs and then superceded to the SP534.

The newer plugs I'd likely go 50k miles no prob as long as your idle stays good.

I've been doing mine at 50k km however.

Haven't changed mine since they were superceded to the SP580.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts