41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
I understand it is simple and inexpensive and I am confident with doing it myself as I have with all my vehicles. I haven't had those first signs.
@snakebitten I do not understand the age comments if it was directed at me. You and I are about the same age.
I thought he was calling me old! My eco is in AR too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I think 580 is the new part number. Check the gap but they should come pre gapped if you don't wanna worry about that.

Pull the red tabs with finger nail when warm. Pull coil packs when warm. I would also break the plugs when warm due to you having 70K miles, there is going to be carbon on the threads. Leave them in though, just break while warm. Put dielectric grease on the coil on install.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I think 580 is the new part number. Check the gap but they should come pre gapped if you don't wanna worry about that.

Pull the red tabs with finger nail when warm. Pull coil packs when warm. I would also break the plugs when warm due to you having 70K miles, there is going to be carbon on the threads. Leave them in though, just break while warm. Put dielectric grease on the coil on install.
Thanks alot ! Some on here will be proud of me when I get time to change them. Planning to gap @ .030. I also ordered boots, a brown pcv valve, and an air filter. @RockAuto of course. Been using them almost since they started.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Sweeeeet. The good stuff arrived. (25,000 miles on the current set)

Thanks @mattr66 (or thank Larz for me?)

Larz asked when I was going to put the new motor in and bring it over for a tune. I explained the delay was based on I thought I would have blown the OEM motor up before now. He suggested you "wick my tune up" and maybe we can get that to happen sooner?

I know Ryan would probably like the bin space.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Are those the same as the 580's ?

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
I think they are the "new" SP542's?

Ford now sells them as their Ford Performance Plug, if I got the story straight.

It all happened since my previous plug change. (For my dyno tune)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are those the same as the 580's ?
580’s for gen 1... 542’s for gen 2

@arkansaseco Try that gap at .03 if you like, but I’d go for .028 even if stock tunes... and the set of 580’s I got a couple months back weren’t gapped consistently. I would definitely check and adjust accordingly even though they’re supposed to be pre-gapped.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts

Try that gap at .03 if you like, but I’d go for .028 even if stock tunes... and the set of 580’s I got a couple months back weren’t gapped consistently. I would definitely check and adjust accordingly even though they’re supposed to be pre-gapped.

They came gapped by GearHead.
It's their choice for my truck and their dyno tune.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
177 Posts
I need to go that route next time... got mine at whatever color parts store!

Edit: that gapping comment was for AReco

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
They have another 100 sets coming in shortly, from what I understand. Larz puts each one on a bench and gaps them.

I appreciate the hands on personal touch, as well as I can raz him if I crack a ceramic. Lol

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

@arkansaseco Try that gap at .03 if you like, but I’d go for .028 even if stock tunes... and the set of 580’s I got a couple months back weren’t gapped consistently. I would definitely check and adjust accordingly even though they’re supposed to be pre-gapped.

Whew ! I wasn't doubting anyone tho !
Thanks, and yes sir, I always double check plug gaps. I understand they get eroded. Will see what they look like IF I can get them out. Been noticing that slightly erratic idle someone else here mentioned and all the hotrod guys on here think I've lost it leavin em in LOL FUN 🤣

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
If it's running good, you haven't exactly lost it. :)

But my oil, just 1 minute after it all drains out, is still vital oil. It was lubricating that very expensive motor when I just drove it into the bay. (barn)

But it's time. It's at least degraded. No longer 100% pristine. Less than optimal.

And yea, that almost un-perceptible miss at idle could be evidence. Maybe.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
177 Posts
Whew ! I wasn't doubting anyone tho !
Thanks, and yes sir, I always double check plug gaps. I understand they get eroded. Will see what they look like IF I can get them out. Been noticing that slightly erratic idle someone else here mentioned and all the hotrod guys on here think I've lost it leavin em in LOL FUN
I may have mentioned it here up a few posts back, but my plugs had gone from .028 to .035 in just 27k

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I may have mentioned it here up a few posts back, but my plugs had gone from .028 to .035 in just 27k

Wow thanks for that. Are you stock ? I'm 100% stock.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mostly, been running a 91+ tow tune, no engine mods

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you guys changing the platinum spark plugs that early or the iridium ones? Which one do you prefer over the other?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts