F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Are you guys changing the platinum spark plugs that early or the iridium ones? Which one do you prefer over the other?
Back in 2011 the platinum plugs didn't even last 15k miles before cracking and arcing out.

Every EB was superceded to irridium.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I am going to try some NGK 90495 LTR6BHX Ruthenium HX Plugs next time. They are the stock heat range. I have tried both Motorcraft and NGK Iridium Plugs with no issues. But I wanted to see if these Ruthenium are any better (or just hype ... like most things).

But if anyone wants 1 range colder, try NGK 95605 LTR7BHX Ruthenium HX Plugs.

·
Admodistrator
2,431 Posts
I am going to try some NGK 90495 LTR6BHX Ruthenium HX Plugs next time. They are the stock heat range. I have tried both Motorcraft and NGK Iridium Plugs with no issues. But I wanted to see if these Ruthenium are any better (or just hype ... like most things).

But if anyone wants 1 range colder, try NGK 95605 LTR7BHX Ruthenium HX Plugs.
Spark plugs like engine oil have detractors and dedicated followers. People love what they love. This said, the term “any better” is such a relative/subjective term when talking spark plugs. Spark plugs have such a simple job to do, they spark. Judging from the change intervals I read on this forum, yeah I’m one of those guys too, I don’t know if any of the real benefits the precious metal, high dollar plugs can offer are actually realized.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
But it FEEEEEEEELS good to treat your motor to Filet Mignon, if you can.

Kinda like feeding your horse some expensive oats knowing you are going to likely flog it up the hill tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
So you saying they Filets?

·
Admodistrator
2,431 Posts
Yeah, always wondered about these in a Boost. They’re using them in engines with serious pressures and they aren’t blowing them out. Almost wonder if the extra protection around the electrode might not be a benefit. Then again, they claim these 10,000 HP monsters are essentially dieseling once they’re under load... I’m just spit balling here.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Yeah, always wondered about these in a Boost. They’re using them in engines with serious pressures and they aren’t blowing them out. Almost wonder if the extra protection around the electrode might not be a benefit. I’m just spit balling here.
What's wrong with me when I'm less impressed because they aren't charging enough for them?

I needed them to be $25 a piece. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
@snakebitten, I get that mindset completely. I’m the same way.
I'm convinced that there's some merit to it. But there's plenty of examples where the marketing strategy is to dupe me with that same approach.

A famous one being an IPhone. Lol

Literally less phone for more co$t.

And I'd pay it too! If it were the better phone.

By the way, the E3 plugs aren't gap-able.
I wonder what the gap is on those recommended plugs? Curious

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Yeah, always wondered about these in a Boost. They’re using them in engines with serious pressures and they aren’t blowing them out. Almost wonder if the extra protection around the electrode might not be a benefit. Then again, they claim these 10,000 HP monsters are essentially dieseling once they’re under load... I’m just spit balling here.
I think the big issue with E3s, they cannot be regapped. They "come as they are".

I remember when "Split Fire" were the big hyped spark plug on a lot of TV Auto Shows ... until incidences of the one of the "split electrodes" snapped off in your engine, scoring your cylinders and worse.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Admodistrator
2,431 Posts
That part about being regapped is certainly worth considering but here’s the question, does it matter what the gap is as long as the spark isn’t blowing out? That’s the reason we gap these plugs down. If a plug fires every time it’s supposed to you’ve achieved your goal. I wouldn’t call the E3 product the focus of the day, they’ve been around for a long time.

My whole point about mentioning this plug is that it’s run in a lot of top fuel cars. Force’s team has obviously done so successfully. I’d think they might stand up to what a Boost is asking of it.

I’ve also read comments about these plugs coming apart. That said, I can’t think of a major name brand plug on the market that I haven’t read the same thing about.

I know that this in no way is an apples to apples comparison. The fuelers have 2, 44 amp magnetos throwing about fifty thousand volts through the wires to 16 plugs. It may be that the OE Ford ignition system can’t support the wider gaps and that’s likely the case and the reason that members see benefits in gapping their plugs down. It’s not necessarily a brand of plug thing but an ignition thing.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
That part about being regapped is certainly worth considering but here’s the question, does it matter what the gap is as long as the spark isn’t blowing out? That’s the reason we gap these plugs down. If a plug fires every time it’s supposed to you’ve achieved your goal. I wouldn’t call the E3 product the focus of the day, they’ve been around for a long time.

My whole point about mentioning this plug is that it’s run in a lot of top fuel cars. Force’s team has obviously done so successfully. I’d think they might stand up to what a Boost is asking of it.

I’ve also read comments about these plugs coming apart. That said, I can’t think of a major name brand plug on the market that I haven’t read the same thing about.

I know that this in no way is an apples to apples comparison. The fuelers have 2, 44 amp magnetos throwing about fifty thousand volts through the wires to 16 plugs. It may be that the OE Ford ignition system can’t support the wider gaps and that’s likely the case and the reason that members see benefits in gapping their plugs down. It’s not necessarily a brand of plug thing but an ignition thing.

Not to mention that top fuel guys change plugs every run...

The big question is do they have the longevity!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Not to mention that top fuel guys change plugs every run...

The big question is do they have the longevity!
They may do that partly because you don’t want to lose a race or championship just because a used plug failed. That’s got to be a violent combustion chamber in those engines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How hard is it to change plugs on a 2018 2.7?
I looked under the hood a couple of days after buying it and looks like a bunch of stuff is in the way.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
How hard is it to change plugs on a 2018 2.7?
I looked under the hood a couple of days after buying it and looks like a bunch of stuff is in the way.
Definitely a little more stuff in the way compared to the 3.5 but still not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I got those NGK Ruthenium Plugs and due to the fine wire center electrode and the design of the strap, they are like two fine pieces of metal. Meaning there is no shrouding like a typical spark plug. Unfortunately, I won't get to installing them until probably the weekend.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco
61 - 78 of 78 Posts