F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
No, I agree with you, I think 3000 miles is a good number. I want to keep my engine as clean as possible. I’ve got a catch can too, and reason being like I just said in the post before this, was my 2012 3.5 I had before this 2.7, and man was it cooked, I’ll have to put a picture up.
Here’s my 2012 3.5 Ecoboosts engine. I had it for only 3 months after buying from the dealer. Had 154k miles on it. View attachment 170829

wow!! that is what you get on cheap oil and going over on intervals.

did you try to clean it or did you dump the truck?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost
139 Posts
I took it to my trusted mechanic and they were the ones who took the valve covers off to reveal that.
So I took it back to the Ford dealer where I bought it and I explained to the owner what happened and they took a look at it. He said they’d either put a new engine in it or put me in a new truck. I chose new truck because I was worried that the same treatment had been done to the whole truck. Didn’t want to have tranny issues or something else too... they gave me my full money back towards my 2016 2.7 I have now. Pretty amazing on their part.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Although his records are ridiculously meticulous, he doesn't mention what oil he used.

This is a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost and now has 250,000 miles on it. And get this: 147,000 miles are towing!

It's a farm truck and gets worked, but lots of oil love, both in the block and all inside/underneath the coach and frame.

(First 6 minutes of the video)

I know it's anecdotal, but this is evidence that it's possible to have a high mileage Gen1 with the timing chain being the original. And it isn't by babying the truck.

I really would love to know his oil change interval and the products he used.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
7 throttle bodies?!

On another note, I wanna do some more research on what specific qualities of an oil help protect a timing chain. I doubt its HTHS or anything like that since I don't think the chain pins see a tremendous amount of force and really are not moving much. They might bend 30° going around a cam or crank gear and then straighten back out. So its not like a crank bearing that is seeing 360° of rotation continuously.

If I had to guess, it might be viscosity at temperature, and maybe the friction modifiers.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Makes you wonder how many symptoms and rabbit chasing that we see on the forum might just be something a fresh throttle body would address? Lol

We are so quick to first make sure you have fresh plugs and boots before you even start chasing what has your truck running less than ideal.... while it sounds like this fella throws a new TB on because he fully expects it to deteriorate by 30K miles.

But back to the assumption of oil and intervals being the determination of short VS loooooong life of timing chain. You have to be intrigued by a truck like this. And it fits the other occasional report here of a high mileage WORKED truck still on the factory chain.

There IS a reason. It'd be fascinating to know what REALLY made the difference

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I guess I’ll take the plunge and get a OA for both Motorcraft SB/FS. Maybe even do an OA on Valvoline while I’m at it. I have quite a bit of test kits leftover in my shop.

Will I accomplish anything? Most likely not but won’t hurt to try.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
10W-30 list stollen from from BITOG:

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
A little bit of oversimplification. (lower number of VI is better)

Only say that because there are so many kinds of V-iscosity I-mprovers and the quality between them is widespread.

Or put another way, you could have a higher quantity of higher quality VI in the oil and result in "less deposits" (and other negative consequences) than another oil with less quantity, but lower quality VI

Modern oil is so complex and has so many moving-parts, literally, that it's difficult to choose one recipe that doesn't include some compromise in one aspect in order to gain in another.

Similar to folks that are fitness gurus, there's no diet or recipe that is all good and zero bad. But there are lots of diets that are healthy overall compared to what most of us eat. Lol

There's lots of great lubricants for our Ecoboost. Especially brand new out of the bottle.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I always take his opinion with a grain of salt (plus this is a single example), however...

I'm a big Pennzoil Ultra Platinum fan. I either run that or Castrol Edge. I think Amsoil makes a good oil, but not worth the extra $$ IMO. I know oil will be debated until the end of time though.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Pennzoil Platinum is actually a pretty solid oil because its derived from natural gas instead of oil, hence the Gas to liquids advertising.

The only negative I’ve really heard about it is that it tends to be pretty thin from the get-go. In other words the 5w-30 is on the light end of a 30 weight oil.

I guess this is a Shell only technology and don’t share it. Pennzoil, Quaker State, Rotella and a few other brands fall under the Shell name.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum is actually a pretty solid oil because its derived from natural gas instead of oil, hence the Gas to liquids advertising.

The only negative I’ve really heard about it is that it tends to be pretty thin from the get-go. In other words the 5w-30 is on the light end of a 30 weight oil.

I guess this is a Shell only technology and don’t share it. Pennzoil, Quaker State, Rotella and a few other brands fall under the Shell name.
Good thing I run 5w-40, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
986 Posts

From using PP on a few changes, it most certainly gets very thin right off the bat. Which steered me away. Besides that, it’s a great oil.

However, I’ve heard the Rotella Gas Truck is also an impressive oil.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
From using PP on a few changes, it most certainly gets very thin right off the bat. Which steered me away. Besides that, it’s a great oil.

However, I’ve heard the Rotella Gas Truck is also an impressive oil.
The consensus on BITOG was run the Rotella Gas truck if you find it for a decent price but otherwise there is nothing particularly special about it to really set it apart from PP or one of the other name brand full syn's. Certainly don't pay the $42/5 qt jug Advance Auto wants for it right now :ROFLMAO:

Although I think its a lot thicker than the PP. PP 5W-30:

Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30:

It is also based on the gas-to-liquid tech that PP is though.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
I believe he framed his comment that my "splurge", whether for food or Amsoil, was to impress everyone, to be exact. And yes, that I should enjoy a beer and pizza just as much as a steak.

Of course he has every right to come to that conclusion. But he couldn't be further from the truth if he knew me.

And I can't prove that everybody could tell the difference between a $25 steak and a $100 steak, but I'd be willing to bet 99% of us could. Lol

Amsoil is great oil. Too bad it comes with the emotional baggage that it does. And the true cost difference between it and many of the other premium full synthetics isn't enough for me to be bothered. What else can I say?
Deleted: This is the exact crap I didnt want in my thread so nevermind.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
So you enjoy knowing you spent big? You happily spend $50on a meal knowing “everyone” will be impressed without considering whether you enjoyed it as much as a $10 pizza and beer?
@mass-hole Did you miss this part of the quote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
55 Posts
So after reading this thread...I debated on replying. But...why not? What's the worst that can happen? You guys gunna eat me? I doubt it. I am a big dude. Would be fun! Hahaha.

I run Schaeffer's in all my motors. Full synthetic 9000 series.

In my Eco, 5W40 9000 synthetic. Dropped temps (170 degree Tstat helped immensely as well,) but the oil not only quietened the noisy (new to me) motor, it gives me (the end user) confidence because I have used this oil and have had success in many ways in the past.

Honestly it is a personal preference....in the end.

For me? It is as I stated above. For you? It may be Pennzoil, Amsoil, Mobil. It is okay.

I love the knowledge here. It makes me think. Makes me want to help others, like Snake, BK, MH, etc. All people who have given me insight, even if not directly.

This forum is awesome. Period.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco
41 - 60 of 66 Posts