F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Castrol GTX Magnatec 10w-30:

Noack is on 6.95 and HTHS of 3.2. Not bad at all.

I ran the 5W-30 for a while.
The Magnatec is apparently a very good oil. Some say even better than the Edge. It’s a pretty well known oil on the mustang forums.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
The Magnatec is apparently a very good oil. Some say even better than the Edge. It’s a pretty well known oil on the mustang forums.
I see a ton of people on BITOG raving about it for Ecoboosts.

For some reason, only the 10W-30 data sheet shows the HTHS and NOACK. The 5W-30 has neither.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I managed to find this website that actually provides the additive packages on certain oils they’ve tested. The list is quite large.

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum is actually a pretty solid oil because its derived from natural gas instead of oil, hence the Gas to liquids advertising.

The only negative I’ve really heard about it is that it tends to be pretty thin from the get-go. In other words the 5w-30 is on the light end of a 30 weight oil.

I guess this is a Shell only technology and don’t share it. Pennzoil, Quaker State, Rotella and a few other brands fall under the Shell name.
I'm about due for a change. I don't put enough miles on any more to change it enough to justify the Ams PC fee. I've always used PP when I don't use Ams, but this statement has me wondering. Now that I only drive basically short trips (mile one way twice a day) if this oil starts out thin should I look elsewhere? I'm not willing to change the viscosity until I'm out of warranty.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I'm about due for a change. I don't put enough miles on any more to change it enough to justify the Ams PC fee. I've always used PP when I don't use Ams, but this statement has me wondering. Now that I only drive basically short trips (mile one way twice a day) if this oil starts out thin should I look elsewhere? I'm not willing to change the viscosity until I'm out of warranty.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Quaker State Ultimate Durability gets a ton of recommendation on BITOG for Ecoboosts. I guess a lot of people have gotten really good oil analysis back specifically in Ecoboosts and its fairly inexpensive.

Castol GTX Magnatec too. I posted the Castrol GTX 10W-30 datasheet a few posts back and it looks decent but they dont publish the HTHS or NOACK for the 5W-30.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·

Killed two birds with one stone this morning at walmart. Got my Covid vaccine and picked up some of the new Supertech Advanced in a 10w-30 for my Lexus. Im gunna run this this summer since i will probably tow with it, and then switch back to the 0W-20 I have for next winter. Its probably a bit of a waste since That might not even be very many miles.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
According to this, Penzoil Platinum is very overhyped. It gets pretty thin and it’s additive package is alright. Almost seems like a downgrade from Motorcraft SB.

Here is Motorcraft SB which actually seems to be very nice oil. Especially for a SB.

I have heard the same thing. I would definitely go thicker on it, like maybe run the 40 instead of a 30 weight.

PP does have a higher TBN though, which is what allows an oil to run longer before it needs to be replaced. As the oil ages and has to contend with the acids and whatever gets into it, the TBN will drop.

I believe MC SB is made by Phillips66.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I have heard the same thing. I would definitely go thicker on it, like maybe run the 40 instead of a 30 weight.

PP does have a higher TBN though, which is what allows an oil to run longer before it needs to be replaced. As the oil ages and has to contend with the acids and whatever gets into it, the TBN will drop.

I believe MC SB is made by Phillips66.
Agreed, TBN was really the only thing that stood out. I would rather still have a thicker oil. Someone like me doing 3-4K intervals wouldn’t necessarily be worried about TBN. Who knows, I’m no expert lol.

I noticed SuperTech had a TBN of 7.9 which isn’t bad at all.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Welp, I have enough oil for the next 50 years. Snagged 10 qts of the Mobil 1 EP 10W-30.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,967 Posts
This thread is going in circles and same things being said over and over ! You people are obsessed with oil !

WOW. JIMINY CRICKET !!!

JUST USE FULL SYNTHETIC AND CHANGE 5000 OR LESS ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
This thread is going in circles and same things being said over and over ! You people are obsessed with oil !

WOW. JIMINY CRICKET !!!

JUST USE FULL SYNTHETIC AND CHANGE 5000 OR LESS ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Pretty much. And pretty much why I keep recommending Supertech Full-syn for people who don't feel like looking for coupons/rebates. Its an API SP and Dexos1 Gen2 rated oil, it has to be good to meet those standards and cost $16.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Isnt supertech made by Warren? Same as Amazon oil and Kirkland at costco. Last i check costco was by far cheaper than those other ones.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Isnt supertech made by Warren? Same as Amazon oil and Kirkland at costco. Last i check costco was by far cheaper than those other ones.
Yes it is, and yes its cheaper by a couple of $.

Walmart just seems easier for a lot of people. My closest Costco is 1 hour each way in a direction I rarely travel so I don't even have a membership.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts