F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I wouldn’t stress about it too much. As long as the oil meets Ford Specs - you are good to go. Intervals are WAY more important than additive packages. Oops did I say that.

Motorcraft SB has always worked great for my trucks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wouldn’t stress about it too much. As long as the oil meets Ford Specs - you are good to go. Intervals are WAY more important than additive packages. Oops did I say that.

You mean I shouldn't go 20k between oil changes? 😆

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
You mean I shouldn't go 20k between oil changes?
If Ford said you could, people would. I guarantee it.
Something about ink on paper overrides everything.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
If Ford said you could, people would. I guarantee it.
Something about ink on paper overrides everything.

Ain't that the truth.

On a side note, A good friend of mine, actually used to be on here quite often, Raidersfan Was his handle, it wasn’t rare for him to go 10,000+ miles between oil change intervals I think it was just mainly for convenience and being extremely busy.
He's never babied that truck.

This picture was I think at least a year ago, I just chatted with him the other day and he still has this 2013 3.5 along with his several other vehicles and trucks.

Still not even a slight timing chain rattle to this day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,167 Posts

Definitely this. All about them early oil change intervals

Lol just noticed dude's shirt, Didn’t even realize it when I picked the GIF but I’m digging it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ain't that the truth.

On a side note, A good friend of mine, actually used to be on here quite often, Raidersfan Was his handle, it wasn’t rare for him to go 10,000+ miles between oil change intervals I think it was just mainly for convenience and being extremely busy.
He's never babied that truck.

This picture was I think at least a year ago, I just chatted with him the other day and he still has this 2013 3.5 along with his several other vehicles and trucks.

Still not even a slight timing chain rattle to this day

Hope exist.... Did he mention if there has been any major service done to the vehicle, timing chain aside?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Hope exist.... Did he mention if there has been any major service done to the vehicle, timing chain aside?
no issues other then a warped exhaust manifold and bad throttle body

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
While I can't argue with someone's Ecoboost with that mileage and reliability record, I don't think the loooong oil change interval contributed to it, nor would I ever be brave enough to follow.

Some folks get the lemons.
Some folks get the perfect truck.

Outliers both.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I don't think the loooong oil change interval contributed to it, nor would I ever be brave enough to follow.

Oh most definitely not haha, that's all for sure luck

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
I ended up putting the PP Euro L in the truck. I figure by the time I need to change the oil again Pennzoil will probably have another rebate and can just run it again for the summer.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Still running same ol penzoil platinum 5w30 that I been running since I bought the truck used with 38k km. After the intital phaser/ timing chain change at 72k km, it's still running like a top at 160k km.

Went with a Napa Gold filter this time since I didnt feel like driving a town away to the Ford dealer.

2011. Still tuned with my easy boring 87 P/tow tune from 5star.

Still great to drive.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Finally found someone selling actual Gf-6a rated Pennzoil ultra Platinum 5w30w, from my least favorite company but all well.
Amazon is advertising theirs as Gf-6a but what you actually get is Gf-5. Not that it makes a huge difference but I wanted to give the Gf-6a a shot.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
I already put 2000 miles(almost 1400 of that towing) on my truck since the oil change so maybe it wont be that long before it gets done again.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would get the timing chain rattle on my 13 around 5k when I ran Pennzoil platinum 5w30. I switched to the Costco 5w30 and it was much less so. My last oil change I put mobile 1 5w40 tdt in it. I'm at 5k now and I haven't heard the slightest tick.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
I would get the timing chain rattle on my 13 around 5k when I ran Pennzoil platinum 5w30. I switched to the Costco 5w30 and it was much less so. My last oil change I put mobile 1 5w40 tdt in it. I'm at 5k now and I haven't heard the slightest tick.
I would be careful running TDT. The diesel oils used to be ok to run in gassers and were actual API SN rated I believe, but since they have updated to SN+ and SP the diesel oils have lost their rating because they no longer are able to meeting the LSPI requirements.

API SP also has added requirements around timing chain stretch testing and so its wise to make sure you are using an SP rated oil if you can, or something with equivalent timing chain protection capability.

I used to run Rotella T6 in my motorcycle and Subaru.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
221 Posts
Additionally there are things that need to be done to neutralize gasoline combustion byproducts, ethanol byproducts, and diesel byproducts. Each requires different techniques. Is likely is T6 still formulated for gasoline without being labeled or certified, just that Shell isn’t saying when it will disappear.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts