F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
The initial setup was good on the system, no changes to the setup since then. Leveling was perfect. I will adjust it in the future when I put in new struts. Just added the airbags, beginning to feel like the airbags are what I'm fighting.
Maybe but air them down all the way and see how the WDH setup looks. Use them for stability after the trailer is hitched.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
I wouldn't trade for the Sumo's. They do pretty much the same as related to towing. They are great support for the suspension AFTER the hitch-up. Just use them for support but not as the truck-camper leveling system. That's what the WDH is for.

Reactions: Cltcfreed75

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,644 Posts
Think of Airbags as "adjustable damping" AND tunable springs.
But get EVERYTHING else right first and then only ask the Airbags to support a well built towing setup, rather than determining a well built towing setup.

Airbags are awesome. I would keep them even if they only come into play occasionally.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi. I know I'm late to the party, but I went a totally different route.. :)

I've been using Hellwig overload springs to help my F150's with it's weak rear suspension.. Has worked for me on my 97 and now my 13 F150. Especially with just loading up the bed, no trailer towing at all..

It's 'set it and forget it' for the most part.. You can adjust the tension on the overloads as needed, but I have them basically cranked up pretty good to the point the OEM lower overload spring does not even touch, even with a good load in the bed.

I'm using just your most basic WD hitch setup (#1000 EAZ-Lift bar and chain setup) that's almost 20 years old and I used with the old 97 with a #5000 TT and now on the 13 with a #7000 TT..

Works great and no "friction sway device", or other expensive "sway control" hitch needed... Just a properly adjusted setup with the tongue weight in balance with the rest of the rig.. :)

I wonder how folks set their WD hitches?? I set the tongue on the hitch and it drops some 2+ inches.. Then I crank up on the tongue jack lifting the rear of the truck up some 2+ inches.. Then I set the tension on the WD bars and still need a breaker bar to synch up the chain stirrups..

Retract the tongue jack and when it all settles, it's the same height in the rear as before I dropped the tongue on it.

Lots of ways to do it of course and what I do is not by any means the only way to do it.. ha, ha.. In the end, it's what works for you and your rigs setup and then you can 'brag' about it. :)

Mitch

21 - 26 of 26 Posts