F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at trading my 06 Cummins Ram on a 2011 xlt 4x4 supercrew with max tow. Is there anything I should look carefully at before purchase? The truck has under 10k on the clock but it did pull a small 5th wheel. It has holes in the bed where the 5th wheel hitch was installed. It also has an airbag system on the rear. I'll be using it as a daily and to pull a 27ft travel trailer occasionally. The price is 33k and its a 1 owner from a ford dealer. Although it has low miles it might be getting close to being out of warranty due to time

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
You probably can get a brand new 2013 for close to that same price.

If you plan to do a fair amount of towing, you probobly want to 3.73s with either E-Lock or LSD.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the asking price is 32,995. I'm obviously not going to pay that. It seems the max tow package trucks (which this is) are difficult to find around here

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would you trade in the cummins?
needs work. 115k miles, wife doesn't like it, like something newer and a little more refined, parking the megacab is like docking an aircraft carrier, 14mpg on a good day, 3.89 diesel, $130 fill ups. take your pick lol

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Cummins motor best in the world. Get it tuned, buddy of mine had 5.9 and gets 18mpg all day. But if u must get rid of it. Buy ecoboost get tow tune.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, that asking price was way to high. By now, you'd get a great deal on a new 3.73 w/ max tow. Worth it.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I have a '13 FX4 max tow. It's a pain for my wife to park but very easy for me. Especially compared to a 3/4 ton. One thing you will really like is the unloaded ride quality compared to your cummins. I think this would be a great truck for you-- it will tow just about anything, is fun to drive, and gets great mileage when unloaded.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going with a Screw "long"bed. I figure its still 2 feet shorter than my ram. I definitely wanted the longer bed and my kid is pushing 6 foot so the supercrew is a must. Plus I like the longer wheelbase for towing stability

·
Registered
873 Posts
My father in law has one. Drives like a tank in Austin tx lol. Just checked wheel bases, dodge mega can is 160, a crew cab f150 6.5 bed is157. Those 3 inches won't help you much.

The fuel mileage will def be better unless you tune the dodge.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I have 157" truck, and I don't if the truck is narrower or the turning radius is better, but it's much easier to park than a mega cab ram.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just pulled the trigger. Pick her up monday or tuesday depending on my work schedule. Gonna miss the dodge, but not the 14mpg on a good day and $135 fill ups. Wife says I have to leave this one alone........ yeah, right. I do wish I hadnt just put $1100 worth of tires on the dodge though

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Just pulled the trigger. Pick her up monday or tuesday depending on my work schedule. Gonna miss the dodge, but not the 14mpg on a good day and $135 fill ups. Wife says I have to leave this one alone........ yeah, right. I do wish I hadnt just put $1100 worth of tires on the dodge though
Well congrats on your purchase. So what did you finally buy? Make sure you post a picture with specs in your signature.

And, as you probably already discovered, these trucks respond very well to the basic mods (tune, exhaust and CAI) if you feel you MUST have more power.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks grim, picked up a 13 xlt supercrew 6.5bed max tow 4x4 Ruby Red 302a. Ill put up pics. Unfortunately, part of the deal is my wife says I have to "leave it alone". I have a "vehicle modification problem" that I might need professional help for. I think Ive at least got her talked into a stereo though since I have most of the equipment i need already

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks grim, picked up a 13 xlt supercrew 6.5bed max tow 4x4 Ruby Red 302a. Ill put up pics. Unfortunately, part of the deal is my wife says I have to "leave it alone". I have a "vehicle modification problem" that I might need professional help for. I think Ive at least got her talked into a stereo though since I have most of the equipment i need already
Good choices on the 6.5 bed and max tow. If you like it half as much a sI like mine you will be quite happy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts