F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday I (mostly) installed the Powerstop Z36 kit on my truck. My impact wrench couldn't break the front caliper bracket bolts loose, so I just changed the pads and had a Ford dealership put the new rotors on. Brakes feel great but the outer front drivers side pad isn't making full contact with the braking surface on the rotor.

Compared to the passenger side

Obviously I'm going to take it back to the dealership I'm just wondering what would cause this. Maybe they got the inboard/outboard pads mixed up?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, no they're the same. The wheels are just exactly positioned to cover up the slots on the drivers side and the cross-drills on the passenger side.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't blame me, they were right when I changed them, if they're reversed now it's the dealer's fault 😂

I'm back now waiting on them to fix it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So. Technician confirmed that outer/inner pads were in the proper positions. They said that because I kept the old rotors on for a few days (350 miles or so) the pads picked up the wear pattern of the old rotors. They said I could either live with it and let the new pads wear down until they're even or get new pads.

I'm going to email Powerstop and see what they recommend.

·
Administrator
7,822 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I just got off the phone with Powerstop and they're going to warranty the pads 😮

I explained what happened and they asked me to email them a proof of purchase and said they would send a replacement set of pads out immediately.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you need to invest in one of these and do the whole job yourself next time (for future reference)

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02847A-Unibody-Checkered-Resistant/dp/B000QYC26K/ref=zg_bs_553198_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J2H2HDA5RVQGXBXRM7JC
I have one. I beat on them with an entire battery charge out of my impact and they wouldn't budge. I tried a breaker bar, a breaker bar with a cheater pipe, and a hammer on the breaker bar with a cheater pipe and they wouldn't budge.

·
Administrator
7,822 Posts
I have one. I beat on them with an entire battery charge out of my impact and they wouldn't budge. I tried a breaker bar, a breaker bar with a cheater pipe, and a hammer on the breaker bar with a cheater pipe and they wouldn't budge.
Jesus, did your truck have the original brake pads on it and have 200K miles on them?

Did you try using a penetrating lubricant? I had no issues whatsoever when I changed my rotors out to the powerstops.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jesus, did your truck have the original brake pads on it and have 200K miles on them?

Did you try using a penetrating lubricant? I had no issues whatsoever when I changed my rotors out to the powerstops.
~63,000 miles on the original parts as far as I know. Penetrating oil had no effect. I thought about getting the torch but I didn't want to damage any sensors. I'm not a super-mechanic or anything but I've been working on my own cars for a while and never ran into anything like this.

On the bright side even with only 3/4 of the brakes working properly they feel absolutely wonderful and stop with much more authority than the factory brakes. They look awesome as hell, too.

·
Administrator
7,822 Posts
Me too. The front pad with ears on them on wrong side if I remember from other threads that looked like your uneven wear.
Correct. Wear shows up exactly as shown in his picture.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
So. Technician confirmed that outer/inner pads were in the proper positions. They said that because I kept the old rotors on for a few days (350 miles or so) the pads picked up the wear pattern of the old rotors. They said I could either live with it and let the new pads wear down until they're even or get new pads.

I'm going to email Powerstop and see what they recommend.
The tech messed up and originally installed the pads incorrectly... as if they were going to admit otherwise. The pic you posted is exactly the wear pattern of reversed brake pad installation on these trucks.
AT least you're getting a new set of pads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts