F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tow-noob here and I have a question, but heres a bit of back story.

My friend bought a hummer up north of here. its got suspension problems and is not capable of making the 5 hour journey back to his town. hes lined up the trailer and everything and i said it shouldnt be a problem towing it, however we checked the specs on everything. i can tow a max of 8800 lbs according to the ford website with my setup (3.15 gears, screw 4x4 5.5ft box) but the setup total will be about 9700-9900 lbs. being that this isnt a usual occurance... mechanically-wise would i be putting my truck at serious risk? or is it just coming down to the legal nitpicking? i tried to source a bigger truck for the tow but i have had no luck.

Note: this will be on mostly flat land in alberta, not really anything crazy for descents or climbs.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but it's 9200 for 3.31's and 9600 is the max for 3.73 gears. If you're 'at' that and not towing uphill you should be fine with 3.31

Reactions: Sherman

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395955619.362093.jpg it's a lot more than gearing. Bed size. Screw or Scab. Real truck or 2wd. Hope this helps.

eH

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think your biggest issue is going to be hitch weight and tongue weight. The truck is only rated for 500lbs on the ball and something like 1100 with a distribution hitch. Anything more than 500lbs and you need a weight distributing hitch.
And then you need to worry about your tongue weight...it varies depending on your payload and what all you have in the truck.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Is you breaking your truck worth your friendship? What's a tow truck worth $300? What's your truck worth $35,000?

Hmmm. Tough one.

Anyways. 2chances. Are those max tow values or standard hitch values?

Because there is a difference between the ratings for the 2 different hitch set ups from factory.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
it's from the tech site on our trucks. I will try to get the website so more info can be read.

eH

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be the standards. i would imagine the trucks would be built the same (for ease of build) so in theory every trucks max rated would be the 11,000 or whatever they rate from factory... they just derate based on other factors.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Is you breaking your truck worth your friendship? What's a tow truck worth $300? What's your truck worth $35,000?

Hmmm. Tough one.

Anyways. 2chances. Are those max tow values or standard hitch values?

Because there is a difference between the ratings for the 2 different hitch set ups from factory.
I don't think he will have an issue. I never have a weight distributing hitch and I tow way over 5k with no issues. And a five hour tow will be way over $300. Try over $1k

Black Sheep of the Family

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That would be the standards. i would imagine the trucks would be built the same (for ease of build) so in theory every trucks max rated would be the 11,000 or whatever they rate from factory... they just derate based on other factors.
Yeah, they are derated from the 11000+ pounds based on the fact they don't have the max tow hitch, so I would ignore that number.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah, they are derated from the 11000+ pounds based on the fact they don't have the max tow hitch, so I would ignore that number.
i believe any truck with a tow package (max or otherwise) have the same hitch from what im reading.. but to achieve those you need the WD hitch.. which i will be using.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
i believe any truck with a tow package (max or otherwise) have the same hitch from what im reading.. but to achieve those you need the WD hitch.. which i will be using.
No there is a full 2" tube frame. That bolts to the frame.

And the one thy bolts in behind the bumper like mine has.

I believe the terminology is receiver not hitch.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well "good" news i guess. didn't end up pulling it. it was a pile of garbage. thanks for all the replies! my trucklives another day :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts