F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was woundering somthing. Am i able to do all the direct bolt on upgrades charge pipe, bbk TB, solo down-pipe,exhaust, intake and upgraded intercooler but except the ecu flash and still get a decent amount of power ? The reason for not wanting to go with the ecu flash is I don't want to void my warranty. Or do I need to do an ecu upgrade?

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
All those are good supporting mods and you will feel the difference, but the programmer brings everything together and makes the biggest impact.

·
Registered
523 Posts
A tuner will get you your best bang for your buck. Any modification can be the basis for voiding a factory warranty, no matter if it's software or hardware like exhaust and the other items listed. If you want to play, you have to be prepared to pay. Not all situations, dealers, technicians, and services advisers are created equal. Thus your results will vary.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
A tuner will get you your best bang for your buck. Any modification can be the basis for voiding a factory warranty, no matter if it's software or hardware like exhaust and the other items listed. If you want to play, you have to be prepared to pay. Not all situations, dealers, technicians, and services advisers are created equal. Thus your results will vary.
What he said.

My suggestion, is to drive the truck stock for maybe 1 year to ensure you don't have any latent problems from the manufacturer. As well, I would follow the posts of various members at this website to see if any of them start to encounter any problems (tranny, rear end, engine, turbos etc) after making various modifications. It's a great way to learn.

Then, when you feel comfortable that your truck is fine and has no issues; and you don't see people blowing up parts of their power train, you can start modifying. The nice thing about these trucks, you can do it slowly in phases (Intake, then exhaust, then charge pipe, then down pipe) ... each time making sure you have the appropriate tune for the modification you just made.

Each of those steps will result in power gains. But, none are too difficult for most weekend Do-It-Yourselfers who have some minor mechanical knowledge and a good set of tools. Trust me, it's a heck of a lot easier than modifying a Naturally Aspirated fuel injected engine where you need to do the heads, intake, headers, exhaust, cam shaft, fuel delivery (matched to each other too) ... plus the modifications to the computer, ... only to find out your tranny, rear end etc now were unable to handle the power lever of the modifications. Been there, done that.

It is why I chose the Ecoboost engine ... all the "hard stuff" are basically done. All that is left are things that are quite easy IMO and can be done in a weekend (and a case of beer or two).

But, for now, I too do not want to void my warranty (just bought my truck two weeks ago). So I am just waiting and learning about the Ecoboost setup. Once I am comfortable with my new truck, then I'll start modifying it - probably one step at a time.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would recommend going with the AFE Scorcher if you don't want to do a tune via a programmer. This will increase your boost with a simple inline under the hood plug n play installation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts