F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the recommended maintenance schedule I was surprised that it recommends far less oil changes, no coolant flush (change out after 100k) etc. I have yet to tow anything so I selected normal driving conditions and it just says change my oil when the oil monitor says so or at least yearly. Tire rotation every 10k ( I used to do my mazda every oil change 5k), spark plugs at 100k to name a few things. What are your guys routines/ schedules? Anyone with over 100k?

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/maintenance-schedule.html#/details

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I see this is your second post so I'll make a gentle notion that you will do really well to look through the literal plethora of knowledge already shared here. There are more oil change interval threads than you will care to read, spark plug threads, air filter threads, and so on. Use the search button and prepare for an information overload. You'll also spare yourself getting razed by a handful of members for posting topics that have been discussed ad nauseum.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
After looking at the recommended maintenance schedule I was surprised that it recommends far less oil changes, no coolant flush (change out after 100k) etc. I have yet to tow anything so I selected normal driving conditions and it just says change my oil when the oil monitor says so or at least yearly. Tire rotation every 10k ( I used to do my mazda every oil change 5k), spark plugs at 100k to name a few things. What are your guys routines/ schedules? Anyone with over 100k?

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/maintenance-schedule.html#/details
Unless you drive on the hwy at 60mph non stop, no traffic, no hot or cold conditions, normal parameters do not apply.
Oil changes every 5K-6K with synthetic and a quality oil filter (Motorcraft FL500s is hard to beat for quality/value ratio) is what we here seem to agree on.
If you plan on going longer, and plan on keeping the truck long term, I would spend the money on an oil analysis to make sure the oil is up to it, and that it's not all diluted with fuel, which is one of the side effects of having high fuel pressures of Direct Injection.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I like 5k oil changes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see this is your second post so I'll make a gentle notion that you will do really well to look through the literal plethora of knowledge already shared here. There are more oil change interval threads than you will care to read, spark plug threads, air filter threads, and so on. Use the search button and prepare for an information overload. You'll also spare yourself getting razed by a handful of members for posting topics that have been discussed ad nauseum.
I appreciate the kind warnings. I don't mind the surly comments though, that's just a part of the internet. For some reason its easier (possibly more enjoyable) to flame somebody than answer a question lol.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I do have to agree with Chris though....kind of like your kids or grandkids asking you "why" or the same thing over and over...drives ya crazy sometimes...is a lot of info in here if ya look.

But I also agree with you...to a point...but ya is fun to get digs in occasionally...not everyone appreciates that though...depends on your disposition.

Fuel dillution is terrible but that is going to depend on your individual driving style. Agree on oil analysis 100%. I would never just take someone's suggestion and apply to my truck. Everyones own situation is different ....to many variables. Still learning my truck....first oil change....summer driving was 6% fuel dillution at about 5000 miles. This last one...winter driving was at 12% right at 5000.....so I know I need to shift my interval depending on the season. Mostly do short trips all year long.

Ford's interval is for the "average" consumer...which I still think is weak...but you need to figure out how you drive and what conditions and adjust accordingly.....then shorten up the interval a smidge...in the long run if you change the oil or any other maintenance sooner it is only going to help and really not cost much extra.

Welcome to the forum.....

Oh by the way...you are invited to jump in and make surly comments whenever you like...you will fit right in!:cool:

Forgot the rest of your question....have gone through and changed ALL fluids, plugs/boots, coils, belts, filters, shocks, etc. Has 103,000+ miles....... Have put just under 10,000 miles on from when I bought last year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have to agree with Chris though....kind of like your kids or grandkids asking you "why" or the same thing over and over...drives ya crazy sometimes...is a lot of info in here if ya look.

But I also agree with you...to a point...but ya is fun to get digs in occasionally...not everyone appreciates that though...depends on your disposition.

Fuel dillution is terrible but that is going to depend on your individual driving style. Agree on oil analysis 100%. I would never just take someone's suggestion and apply to my truck. Everyones own situation is different ....to many variables. Still learning my truck....first oil change....summer driving was 6% fuel dillution at about 5000 miles. This last one...winter driving was at 12% right at 5000.....so I know I need to shift my interval depending on the season. Mostly do short trips all year long.

Ford's interval is for the "average" consumer...which I still think is weak...but you need to figure out how you drive and what conditions and adjust accordingly.....then shorten up the interval a smidge...in the long run if you change the oil or any other maintenance sooner it is only going to help and really not cost much extra.

Welcome to the forum.....

Oh by the way...you are invited to jump in and make surly comments whenever you like...you will fit right in!:cool:

Forgot the rest of your question....have gone through and changed ALL fluids, plugs/boots, coils, belts, filters, shocks, etc. Has 103,000+ miles....... Have put just under 10,000 miles on from when I bought last year.
Appreciate all the advice. I actually noticed that the dealership I bought the truck from a couple of weeks ago used 5-W20! I changed the oil today and it smelled very much of fuel. I read (from a forum search) :) about the fuel dilution but I didn't picture it being that strong. So now I have 5-W30 and will be doing the 5k intervals. I want to do a catch can just nervous about codes being thrown.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Catch Can by itself will not...or should not throw a code by itself.....all it does is run crank case gasses through a can with baffles and drops or condenses volatiles/water vapor out of suspension. This is a very personal mod for everyone here....a lot have....a lot don't.....you make up your own mind based on your perception of benefits for your driving style...it is not a $10 mod....for me pretty big chunk of change like most people....as long as you are happy that is all that matters. I did...get appr. 16 ozs of crap out every fillup...does it make a difference? Don't know...makes me happy that's all that matters....now you can look at it from another perspective....if I didn't think it mattered then I sure pissed a lot of money down the drain for nothing and would be fairly pissed off.....much rather be happy. Actually would have paid for a good portion of another AR....and that would have been cool too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts