F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some new tires (Continental H/T) and my truck made all tread scrapping noise from 27-40 mph that sounded like the tires are misaligned. So I took my truck into the dealership to get an oil change and alignment check and they said nope all good and everything else is fine.

so I went backto the tire dealer and said these tires have a noise issue, he said really? I said you drive it. He did and was like. Hmmm that’s not right and swapped out the tires for Duellers. They seem to be much quieter but Still there is a noise there.

I am concerned there is a wheel bearing issue but would be suprised with a truck only having 85k 2018 garage kept. Here in KS we get some snow but not that much and yes I go to CO to ski but that shouldn’t be that hard on it.

additionally, I thought wheel bearings made noises different noises more or less when going side to side. Furthermore, I can’t figure out where it is coming from. Maybe a transfer case issue that is stuck? It makes the noise even rolling in neutral.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
11,016 Posts
4WD?
If so, does the noise go away in 4WD?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. I haven’t changed the diff fluid or transmission fluid on it. I’m concerned that this is what is going on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or maybe rear diff ?
@snakebitten yes it is 4x4 and I will give that a try in the AM to see if it goes away in the morning when o engage 4WD high. I have a feeling the roaring sound is a bearing since it is rhythmic to the turning of wheels. It just came up in the past 2k miles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$100 fake internet dollars that it goes away in 4x4.
Well I get the $100 fake dollars. Issue sounds same in 4H, 4A and 2H. This seems concerning :( Nevertheless whatever it is, it will be less than the cost of getting a new truck :) I'll let you all know what the dealer says on Tuesday. Any other suggestions on things to try?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well I get the $100 fake dollars. Issue sounds same in 4H, 4A and 2H. This seems concerning :( Nevertheless whatever it is, it will be less than the cost of getting a new truck :) I'll let you all know what the dealer says on Tuesday. Any other suggestions on things to try?
Wheel bearing? Any axle work done?

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
12 Posts
I’ve not had to do any wheel bearings on my 18 with 67k, but my wife had a 16’ explorer that i had to do all four wheel bearings by 90k.

can you take a video or recording of the sound?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My service advisor wanted to have a quick listen to it today and drove it around and heard the same. After that we tossed it up on the lift. Everything was tight, no grinding when it was in 4WD. So wheel bearings seem to be ruled out.

it seems to be between the trans and wheels. They are doing a stethoscope on it Tuesday. I tried to video it but the phone noise cancelling gets rid of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts