F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 F150 Lariat Special Edition Sport 4x4 157" wb
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 4x4 6.5’ bed 157” wheelbase.
I have what appears to be extra boxed sections behind each rear wheel - see photos - that are impeding me to install some splash guards.
Are these box sections on all 2018 and similar F150’s?
The picture with sun glare shows it best - to the right and behind wheel / tire.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Moderstrator
3,486 Posts
Interesting, subscribed just to find out what those are.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. Don’t laugh.
1. My truck was originally Canadian. Some provinces, I read elsewhere early today, require splash or mud guards, otherwise you get a warning or ticket.
2. I confirmed with Ford dealer I have the correct wheel liners and splash guards. They didn’t dry fit with the “box” in the rear wheel well.
3. I assume next that the “boxes” are the solution to Canadian splash guards.
4. I removed them. Three screws (not all 5 like I did on first side) are all that holds them in place.
5. Wheel liners and mud flaps line up perfectly and install as they are supposed to.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Flooring
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,100 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Cuz I know there's a few fellas around here that NOT knowing was going to drive them crazy. :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone wanting a set of pre-owned OEM Canadian splash guards, PM me. No hardware just the metal pieces.
Free + actual shipping costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Similar up front, too!
Will someone share a closeup of a front wheel well so I can see what it’s supposed to look like? Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My '20 also has those on the rears. Nothing on the front though--just the normal black plastic/rubber/whatever the heck it is 😉 but not that alum shield.

Rear:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Front:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive design

·
Moderstrator
3,486 Posts
@Boatwaco, Wondering if you might have some type of aftermarket kit, that allowed some of those large and long heavy duty rubber sheet mud flaps to fit. Some of those flaps might be too heavy to mount just on an aluminum fender lip. Those pics on the front don't look OE hardware to me.

·
Moderstrator
3,486 Posts
My '20 also has those on the rears. Nothing on the front though--just the normal black plastic/rubber/whatever the heck it is 😉 but not that alum shield.

Rear:
View attachment 174459

Front:
View attachment 174461
@LenD, Your pics look normal.

The OP's picture that resembles these pics are after he's removed the boxes. You just need to add the inner fender liners on the rear and the OE or similar flaps. I think you'd actually like both of those products.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Boatwaco, Wondering if you might have some type of kit, maybe not OE that allowed some of those large and long heavy duty rubber sheet mud flaps to fit.
I’m thinking same thing as there are screw mounts which would allow a larger heavy flap to be bolted on.

·
Moderstrator
3,486 Posts
Heck, I went looking. These aren't necessarily yours but there are kits out there.

I found a pic of one of the available kits.

Sleeve Shorts Font Technology Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
675 Posts
They look more like fender braces than splash guards. Mine is a Canadian truck (2016 though) and it has a brace that is just a strip of steel that goes from the corner of the fender to the bottom of the bed area. Those look much more robust.

Reactions: DNA Dan

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They look more like fender braces than splash guards. Mine is a Canadian truck (2016 though) and it has a brace that is just a strip of steel that goes from the corner of the fender to the bottom of the bed area. Those look much more robust.
Definitely these were there to attach heavy mud flaps. They have screw inserts embedded to attach a flap to. Once I removed them the wheel liners fit and the splash guards mounted as per instructions.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Those are not a requirement for Canadian trucks. Only fender flares within 1.5-2 of tire width.

Never see those on a truck up here either.

Ill start looking for them. Tons of guys at work driving new f150s.

Reactions: Boatwaco
1 - 15 of 15 Posts