F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, when I was changing my oil the other day I looked around the truck and noticed the driver side cab corner is bubbled and on its way out. Not through yet but not looking too hot. I live in Kansas and they love to salt and brine the roads. My truck has less than 100k and I really would love to drive it for a lot longer as it is mechanically pristine. If you were in my position would you get the corner fixed now before it comes through OR just fluid film the **** out of the insides of the rockers again and wait until spring once the salt has washed away to get it taken care of?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Fix it well, the sooner the better. Nothing worse than having your eye jump to a certain spot on your vehicle every time you see it. Instead you can be enjoying the truck with little worry.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I've decided to oil the inside and outside like mad using rust 3000 aerosol. My 2011 is seeing a Lil bit on the drivers side too. However mine is black so the oil doesn't catch your eye as bad as a colored vehicle. I also had the local shop drill the rear cab pillars and just load the area full of oil. (pillars are full of foam too)

You'd think these automakers after years and years of salt etc would stop using moisture holding foam inside the panels. I noticed the front kick panels/pillars are full of foam too. I pulled those interior panels and loaded that full of oil too. Noticed a bit of bubbling there.

Also pull your plastic door sills and oil the snot out of the clip holes going thru the floor. They are wide open to salt and rust fast.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
The pillars as in, top of cab? How does water get into the pillars?

Some manufacturers have done the rust prevention, Ford. Aluminum, lol.
No not the top of the pillars, at the bottom where they meet the rockers. Mine had moisture from the AC dripping back into the Cab on the pass side, this may have lead to a bit of bubbling but I think its more from salt moisture coming back up through behind the front fenders/ rockers.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Where are ac drip lines? I will check mine, but i read 2011 and 2012 has some seal missing near there that allowed water to get in the cab and it was later adjusted.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Where are ac drip lines? I will check mine, but i read 2011 and 2012 has some seal missing near there that allowed water to get in the cab and it was later adjusted.
It's behind the head on the firewall little plastic stub that sticks out. I put a silicone 90 on it and haven't noticed it get wet inside after that.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Can you see it with the fender liner still in place from underneath? Never had any damp inside truck but I might as well check.

BTW-OP, replace, that depends how long you want to keep the truck. It is a lot of work. I would for sure recommend spraying the inside holes (where tape is) with fluid film for now.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@WooBoost I would like to keep the truck for at least two more years and longer if possible. I am going to fluid film the snot out of them later this week but its gonna be 11 degrees F tomorrow and I am just not that tough lol. I wish I could find some semblance of a ballpark expected price.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
If only 2 more years, Fluid film should keep it at bay for that period. If you spray with the can, they have little 360 sprayer attachment I suggest you get . You can feed it through the hole and spray.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already have the attachment, and it does work great I fluid filmed this past winter and just need to reapply badly

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I only did my rockers once inside, I check the tape every year and it is all still holding.

With no moonroof, I don't see a need to regularly do it, I assume film is still there. @winchested @SENDIT @Blown F-150

I don't even do the underside flat panels every year now. From doing it a few years in a row, the coverage still remains. If i run my finger through it, it is still film. I don't wash the underside off in the spring bc film still there.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I do underneath mine every fall. It just wash underneath a lot because of mud and gravel roads the truck often sees.
For the rockers, I pull the tape from the backside every other year and go to town with Fluid film and Krown spray (I like the spray to get into some bits vs. Fluid FIlm). I use Gorrila duct tape and it seems to hold really well. I don't use rubberize undercoating as I found that over time it traps moisture.

If you have a sunroof, be sure to keep the drains clean.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
If you're splashing through a lot of dirty water and mud AND washing it off, it would be smart to spray it every year inside. That combined with driving on gravel, you're removing paint under the truck where rocks are hitting, it is good to spray.

I only drive in rain and snow w/ brine spray. I will spray film behind the tires where the most water hits but the majority of my underside remains coated even years later. I don't feel the need to go back into the rockers if the tape is still there. I think next year I will take the time to do this since it has been a couple years. Maybe i'll get a cheap snake camera that hooks upto phone and go in there to see if film is still there and if rust is there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@WooBoost, I drive on so much mixed land and roads that I don't even know what to consider it, anything from nice asphalt to access roads rutted by tractors and combines lol I would LOVE to keep this truck as long as possible even if becomes a farm/work truck someday. Part of me feels like the 1-1.5k ive heard it'll cost may be worth it.

I shoved a garden hose into the rockers once this year to flush the crap out because I noticed the drain slits were all blocked with mud and got them running again then I left the holes open until like august here ((avg85-100 degrees)) so I need to reapply.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Is the water able to escape? If you are doing that, I would consider drilling holes in the bottom for everything to escape and you can spray in there easier. Just make sure to get 360 attachment and then really load up on the hole raw metal before putting a plug in.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@WooBoost yeah the water was able to drain and evaporate all summer, when I last checked it was dry in there. I just did it the one time because when I first crawled under to check it (new truck owner didnt know of the tape holes) most of them were gone and it was full of ****. I keep the 360 wand in my truck tool box so I just need it to get over 30 degrees and i'll attack it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts