F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have had my truck for 5 months now and have loved it! However a recent complaint I do have is that Ford didn't put a light under the hood, in the glovebox or in the center console. Sure would have been nice. I was using my truck to jump my 96' Ford Aerostar which does have a light under the hood (at least it does when you don't leave the dome light on and kill the battery) and I realized the NEW 2013 truck I have didn't have a light. With the console being a $300 upgrade they could have thrown a light in it as well. Other then the lighting issue and struggling to get over 16MPG combined city and hwy I have loved everything else about the truck. I guess I'll just have to drive it more during the day.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing tonight. The bed too, how does a $52k truck not have any lighting in the bed. The dome light is kinda week and there's no button on the dash to turn it on either... The interior and convenience lighting in these trucks certainly is lacking. Most people probably don't think about it, but I work the midnight shift so I live most of my life in the dark... LOL I've learned to appreciate lighting in key places. These are minor complaints as far as I'm concerned, but I will remedy them myself eventually.

I'll most likely upgrade the dome light with superbrite LED's and I'll put a light with a plunger switch in the center console.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Yet the 2015 has lights everywhere haha

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just thinking the same thing tonight. The bed too, how does a $52k truck not have any lighting in the bed. The dome light is kinda week and there's no button on the dash to turn it on either... The interior and convenience lighting in these trucks certainly is lacking. Most people probably don't think about it, but I work the midnight shift so I live most of my life in the dark... LOL I've learned to appreciate lighting in key places. These are minor complaints as far as I'm concerned, but I will remedy them myself eventually.

I'll most likely upgrade the dome light with superbrite LED's and I'll put a light with a plunger switch in the center console.
Yeah I'm thinking of adding lights myself! I've thought the same thing about the bed....when unloading at night there is no way to keep the rear cab light on. It times out after a while and you have to hit the unlock button on the key to put it back on....unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
That's how I kept the box light on while I unloaded. I kept unlocking my truck with the FOB when I got back to the truck. ;(

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Intensive studies by Ford marketing consultants concluded that if you can afford a $50K truck, you can afford a flashlight. Kidding! But no doubt Ford took such complaints into account for the 2015.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking of adding lights myself! I've thought the same thing about the bed....when unloading at night there is no way to keep the rear cab light on. It times out after a while and you have to hit the unlock button on the key to put it back on....unless I'm missing something.
You turn the interior lights on and the bed light stays on!

·
Registered
868 Posts
i strongly agree the cab lights are inadequate for those of us that leave for work and come home from work in the dark.
i recently purchased some colored LED strips to mount under the dash as what you might consider theater lighting, ford does offer an LED interior lighting package but it is ridiculously priced.
the strips i got were around $24 and would work under the bed rails as well.
my next issue is to figure out where i can tie these lights in after the switch relay because i asked at the stealership and they couldnt or didnt want to tell me.
they told me what fuse fed the light circuit and where i could tie into the fuse block so i didnt overload the circuit but they couldnt understand that these are LED strips that draw maybe an additional couple milliamps.
their biggest concern was if i added the extra lights down from the relay it would blow the fuse so i left it alone at that note and decided to cut my losses and move on.
i will figure it out on my own with less hassle and aggravation.

as far as not being able to turn your cab lights on unless you unlock the doors or prop the door open, yea that works for a while until the times runs down and they shut off but the dimmer switch over ride turns the cab and bed lights on
instead of tapping the dimmer switch to make the dash lights brighter you have to sorta push hard on the switch almost like it a dual analog type switch.
i cant honestly say whether it is the firm push or the fact that it is being held momentarily but it does turn the cab lights on instead of dimming the dash when done properly.
the other thing is i dont know if the turn themself back off after they are overridden, i always turn the off myself and i assume they stay on forever if you dont.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Had a buddy with a Suburban that had an under-hood light that worked like a drop light. It was possible to reel out the little 12 volt bulb like a drop light, and it extended to the nearly the rear of the vehicle. I suppose it was handy for a Chevy owner.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Haha, that's pretty cool. An extendable engine compartment light, who'd a thunk something like that wouldn't have caught on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 88 f150 had one of these
Had a buddy with a Suburban that had an under-hood light that worked like a drop light. It was possible to reel out the little 12 volt bulb like a drop light, and it extended to the nearly the rear of the vehicle. I suppose it was handy for a Chevy owner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts