F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '19 3.5 EB for about 2 weeks and am itching to do a couple of things to it...primarily intake and exhaust. I came from a RAM 1500 HEMI, and I know an EcoBoost will never sound like a V8, but it could definitely sound better than stock. I'm also well aware that any performance gains are minimal...if any. I'm pretty much decided on the Borla S Type dual exhaust (maybe Ford Performance, but prob the Borla) and am down to the S&B Intake with dry filter, or the AFE Momentum GT with Pro Dry R filter. I can get the AFE for about $250 new which is much less than the $450 MSRP, but would also be happy to get the S&B for $300 if it is the better option. Does anybody have experience with these two intakes, and which do you like better? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Oh boy.
As long as you go into it knowing that no matter what exhaust you put on it it may sound pretty good at idle or low RPMs but it's going to sound like crap at wot, like a wet fart or a bullfrog. And actually no, unfortunately stock is the best sounding with these engines.

I bought an S&B intake for my 19 and I liked it for what it was, I ended up selling it about two months later for what I bought it for though. Absolutely no change in performance but I expected that, what I was hoping for was a little change in sound and it really didn't even do that

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Look into the awe exhaust that recently came out for these trucks, and my opinion it's the best sounding one, it still does sound like a bullfrog at certain RPMs but all other areas I think it's the best sounding

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look into the awe exhaust that recently came out for these trucks, and my opinion it's the best sounding one, it still does sound like a bullfrog at certain RPMs but all other areas I think it's the best sounding

Just don't want it to be louder than the Borla S type. I have 3 little kids that ride in my truck. I want it to sound nice and not be an annoyance.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Just don't want it to be louder than the Borla S type. I have 3 little kids that ride in my truck. I want it to sound nice and not be an annoyance.
I hear you, that's why I'm leaving my exhaust alone. Would drive the kid in the backseat crazy.

The good thing about the awe and borla supposedly is there's no drone.

I did do a resonator delete though with a 3-inch pipe and that is very tolerable yet a nice little change

·
Administrator
7,776 Posts
I recommend reading through this thread and then saving your money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did anybody know that Home Depot sells AFE filters? I just ordered the Momentum GT with Pro Dry filter for $246! Not sure why they're charging so little, but my order went through!

·
Registered
45 Posts
So your instinct to go intake and exhaust is totally wrong..... tune it. Intakes and exhaust are ineffecive....don’t do much on the hemi either. If you wanted v8 sound you should have stuck with the hemi or gotten a 5.0 coyote. This is coming from a guy who’s last 3 trucks were 2013 ram hemi, 2014 ram ecodiesel (loved it for 150k miles), and 2016 gmc sierra 5.3 (junk). The 3.5 spanks them all stock for stock, and even more so tuned.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Leave it stock then. You don’t need a hot rod. The power is there, and it’s quiet. That’s the perfect scenario. $500, 5 star tune on an sct. Get the trans tune, 93 and one other and drive it. Save the rest for college tuition for those 3 little ones.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leave it stock then. You don’t need a hot rod. The power is there, and it’s quiet. That’s the perfect scenario. $500, 5 star tune on an sct. Get the trans tune, 93 and one other and drive it. Save the rest for college tuition for those 3 little ones.
How do tunes affect warranty? On the Ram it was an immediate warranty void.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
5star tune and an intercooler! I started with intake and exhaust and quickly removed the exhaust. I did do a resonator delete which is $110 and sounds better than the catback. Bully dog intake for $170 and it adds a nice turbo whistle and growl. The intercooler is where it’s at though! Genuine power increase all across the rpm range and super smooth it was $500. I have about $1300 into those mods and they are great but if done again just tune and intercooler would be perfect

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not opposed to going tune instead of exhaust. The CAI is on its way, and I know the gain is minimal without a tune, but it was a very good deal. Still surprised Home Depot is selling them at all, especially at the price I paid! I'll consider a 5 Star Tune...the larger monitor includes 5 tunes for $750, so it's a really good value. I'm only concerned about warranty issues surrounding a tune. When you flash it back to stock, does the dealer know?

·
Administrator
7,776 Posts
How do tunes affect warranty? On the Ram it was an immediate warranty void.

There is absolutely no way that it is an "Immediate warranty void".

I'm not opposed to going tune instead of exhaust. The CAI is on its way, and I know the gain is minimal without a tune, but it was a very good deal. Still surprised Home Depot is selling them at all, especially at the price I paid! I'll consider a 5 Star Tune...the larger monitor includes 5 tunes for $750, so it's a really good value. I'm only concerned about warranty issues surrounding a tune. When you flash it back to stock, does the dealer know?
I would send that CAI back unless your plan was to buy it just for the added noise. It literally is a waste of money. Go buy a BDX or an X4 and get custom tunes from a reputable supporting vendor here (Unleashed/5* Tuning/Gearhead). The only way to really wake these trucks up is by a tune...you will see right away once you purchase one.

Your best bet is to read through this sticky...it will answer MOST of your questions:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Don't waste your money on intake or exhaust. No benefit other than noise. Enjoy having the quietest, most powerful (with tune) half ton money can buy.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So now I'm about to pull the trigger on a tune. Can't decide between 5 Star or Unleashed. And also GTX or BDX tuner? The guys at 5 Star said that the GTX has some issues and that the nGauge is a better option, but it looks really dated to me. I know appearance shouldn't be a deciding factor, but it kind of is.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
So now I'm about to pull the trigger on a tune. Can't decide between 5 Star or Unleashed. And also GTX or BDX tuner? The guys at 5 Star said that the GTX has some issues and that the nGauge is a better option, but it looks really dated to me. I know appearance shouldn't be a deciding factor, but it kind of is.
5 star gets my vote. I just switched to the Ngauge. It takes some getting used to but like anything else it’s all about usage. It’ll grow in you like it has been with me

Their tunes are awesome

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
5 star gets my vote. I just switched to the Ngauge. It takes some getting used to but like anything else it’s all about usage. It’ll grow in you like it has been with me

Their tunes are awesome

What did you have before the N gauge? Why did you switch to it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
An X4 and a Livewire Ts+. The Ngauge is the best option for 2017+

Why? I’ve pretty much decided between the GTX or BDX. If the GTX has issues I’ll go with the BDX.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts