F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some input from the experts. I have read some threads that call for a brown colored PCV valve as part of a "fuel in oil" TSB that was issued for my year truck. When I look up this part, it does not come up as compatible for my vehicle and I am redirected to the black colored PCV. Does this TSB no longer apply? I think it's #15-0003.

Is this brown PCV different from the black in any way? If I run a catch can does it matter which valve I use? Truck info is in my sig. Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
The brown one is off the 2015+ models and does in fact fit your 2012 Ecoboost.

Call your local dealer and see if they have one in stock, I think I paid a little over $7 dollars for mine from the dealership

Part #[h=1]AA5Z-6A666-D[/h]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that's the correct part number. Why haven't parts houses updated their fitments? This seems like a change implemented years ago but they are still pushing the black ones.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
I have the brown one on my 2012. I went to the dealer(part stores didn't have it at that time)and paid $9. I just asked for a 2015 PCV valve and got the brown one

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bringing this back. Did anyone figure out the difference between the two? It feels as if the Brown pcv valve has a different spring in it. Also the actual diameter of the hole is a bit smaller than the black.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I dug a little deeper and actually took the two pcv’s apart.
The black pcv has a larger ID hole and a larger plunger with a stiff spring. The brown pcv has a smaller ID hole with a skinnier plunger and the spring is a bit stiffer yet a different design.
If I’m not mistaken did they intend for the brown pcv to flow more?
I blew into both and the black seemed to flow more air(as expected due to larger ID) but it was hard to tell if the brown pcv actually took less effort for the plunger to move. Which I believe what they were going for.

I'm going to look into this further yet many would say its very unnecessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the smaller size of the opening and the change in the design, I would say they tried to get it to evacuate LESS gasses into the intake but over a wider range of intake pressures. The issues on the early models was accumulation of moisture, then a sudden amount of moisture all at once. It appears they were trying to constantly evacuate a lower volume of air, but more often. I wonder if this is a moot point if you're running a catch can. I mean if it goes through the CAN wouldn't I just want a straight pipe there?

I have since installed the brown one per the TSB, but haven't noticed any difference in the amount of junk in the CC, frequency or composition. It's the same as it was before with the black one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I do agree with you that it seems they wanted it to evacuate more often at a lower volume. I'm more so curious why they made the change. That small of a change shouldn't make that huge of a difference. If anything I'd want the larger ID of the two to evacuate the crankcase easily but there should be enough vacuum anyways to open either check valves.

For the time being I did at one point gut the PCV valve and ran UPR's upgraded check valve on the intake side of my catch can. I actually gathered more gunk that way. Could it be that the pcv valve actually keeps some gunk in the valve cover?

What I failed to point out between the two valves is the bottom plate of the two plungers are significantly different. The brown pcv has a perfect square which is pretty large and the black pcv has a much smaller square on the plunger. (Ill post those pics momentarily) You can barely see the differences on the picture i posted but its not a good angle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Which brown pcv valve did you take apart? Saw this on tascaparts.com... looks like the part has been superseded again

AA5Z-6A666 replaced with KR3Z-6A666?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep that is the correct one. Not sure what they supersede as the parts are identical. I believe they just listed it for the 19-20s and “updated” the part. The brown is EV297 compared to the black PCV that was EV289.

Funny thing is ford no longer lists the black pcv valve for the 11-14s. It’s still a part you can purchase and use but they list it as no longer “compatible” which is odd. So maybe they updated everything to the brown pcv?

The odd thing is (it can totally be placebo) my truck has always ran more smooth with the black pcv rather than brown. Idle smoother and no hesitation.
Edit: The part superseded is identical. The EV290 was used in the tsb and later “updated” for the newer ecoboost. Still identical.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
@SrpRacing Is the black and brown part themselves the same ID?

Just the metal o ring inside is larger vs smaller? The reason I ask is because I am ordering an extra PCV to completely gut, if the plastic itself is different size, I want the bigger one.

That being said, when i look up 14 and older, it still shows black. 15 and newer is the brown, yet mine came with brown. Anyone remaining stock should order a 15+ IMO.

·
Registered
182 Posts
@SrpRacing Is the black and brown part themselves the same ID?

Just the metal o ring inside is larger vs smaller? The reason I ask is because I am ordering an extra PCV to completely gut, if the plastic itself is different size, I want the bigger one.

That being said, when i look up 14 and older, it still shows black. 15 and newer is the brown, yet mine came with brown. Anyone remaining stock should order a 15+ IMO.
Correct. The parts are completely interchangeable. The black pcv can be used on 15+ vehicles. The black PCV has a larger ID metal ring and plunger. The brown has a smaller ID and plunger. The black would be the go-to for gutting.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Correct. The parts are completely interchangeable. The black pcv can be used on 15+ vehicles. The black PCV has a larger ID metal ring and plunger. The brown has a smaller ID and plunger. The black would be the go-to for gutting.
I am talking about the actual body of the PCV. Is there any difference in size? That metal o ring will be pulled out when gutting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts