F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
This can totally be in my head but ever since I threw on the brown pcv valve into my 2011 the truck never felt right. I performed many kam resets etc and nothing changed. Power actually seemed to go down. So I dug deeper.

I gathered some very information from a Ford Technician regarding the tsb and what changes it made. He states these engines are very sensitive to changes. On the brown pcv valve for the updated ecoboost, Ford actually reduced the size of the hole for crankcase evacuation to decrease the amount of blowby going back into your intake. But what they failed to mention was that reducing the hole increases crankcase pressure. With this change required them to reflash the trucks ecu. While they were at it they reduced the amount of fuel used on start up to warm up the cats to aid fuel dilution.

He recommended to anyone with a 11-12 to stick with the black pcv unless you have the tsb performed. He said not all trucks exhibit the fuel in oil issue and that most that were affected were in wet/cold climates.The amount that goes through is presumably compensated for in the ECU somewhere. If you change the calibrated orifice , the compensation probably adjusts just fine - but some trucks behave different than others. 13+ trucks must use the now standard brown pcv valve as with any newer ecoboosts.

Ever since I heard that I threw the black pcv back in and my truck was back to normal.
Hmm. Curious about that. I went to the brown valve years ago and have never had fuel in my oil after the addition of the catch can. However I've always seemed to have a rough idle with it. But PCV really has nothing to do with idle, which sensor is pulling the pressure or vac reading due to this smaller orifice?

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Well the reasoning behind the rough idle is because the newer(current) pcv valve actually stays open more than the black PCV at idle.

The newer pcv valve actually helps tremendously with the blowby the truck produces as its evacuating the crankcase more frequently than before. Not only that but its supposedly less prone of leaking when in boost.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
To update from my last post >>>>>

Doing a idle relearn DOES in fact fix the high idle, but your fuel trims will still be slightly off at idle. Which is no big deal.

Final say, there is no harm in running the updated pcv valve without the reflash. I highly recommend doing an idle relearn/ KAM reset following the change.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Funny thing being is I notice a big difference when running the black valve to the brown valve (on my setup). More pep and smoother idle. Not only that but KR is considerable different. Based on the plunger and orifice size/design. Leads me to believe that the black actually evacuated the crankcase very very well and did a great job on keeping oil from passing. Also keeping the mixture correct.

Im very tempted to test this on my raptor and make the switch in the next hour.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think this is causing me to collect so much in the catch can I have on my CSS. I am running the black PCV still and definitely can "smell" the truck more when idling or stopped. If I blow on it, in the opposite direction it does leak. The brown one does not, it's more like a check valve.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I’m more so convinced they designed it (black pcv) to restrict back flow and not fully block it off like a check valve. If it were a problem I think trucks would be blowing seals left and right pulling off the lot.

You of course CAN run a check valve in front of the black pcv so that guarantees max flow and max back flow blockage.

I know some mustang owners in the past actually ran this pcv to help with blowby etc.

Who knows...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I dunno, I've been on the black for about a month now and I think I am going to switch back to the brown to see if I collect less on the CSS side. I shudder to think just how much of this condensate was dousing my air filter.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
So if you think about it, Ford engineers did in fact take into consideration for the blowby created with these engines from the beginning. They effectively reduced the amount of blowby from entering the engine all at once but did not fully stop it. Hence why ecoboosts have lower carbon deposits compared to other manufacturers. Somewhere along the line this concern went away and changes were made. (Valve cover baffle and hi flow pcv)

Yes these engines have blowby (as does any engine) but it’s not the amount you are usually accustomed to in a VW/Audi/BMW etc.

I’m not trying to start another war at all. I basically wanted to share my observations as this has really been on my mind for a while.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So which one is better? Evacuation over the entire range or high at first and decreasing as vacuum goes up?

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Evacuating over a wide range will always be better. Hence why I threw my black pcv back in my 2011. Gained a lot of my drive ability back and the idle was VERY smooth. Also the power felt like how an ecoboost should feel. Not only that but I had little to no oil on the end of the pcv hose after the switch back.

Ford switched to evacuating at idle as the now GEN 2 motors incorporate some sort of baffling on the valve cover. My ranger and raptor both have baffling.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I wonder if the question is still relevant when running a catch can?

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Evacuating over a wide range will always be better. Hence why I threw my black pcv back in my 2011. Gained a lot of my drive ability back and the idle was VERY smooth. Also the power felt like how an ecoboost should feel. Not only that but I had little to no oil on the end of the pcv hose after the switch back.

Ford switched to evacuating at idle as the now GEN 2 motors incorporate some sort of baffling on the valve cover. My ranger and raptor both have baffling.
I'll switch mine back and see if it helps the idle.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Are you sure it moves fuel trims? The idle issue may just be because it has changed but will adapt. These trucks are speed density, so nothing should need a retune.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Yeah when running the brown pcv valve without the flash. The fuel trims will actually add fuel to compensate for the added airflow at idle. Nothing wrong with that at all.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,292 Posts
@SrpRacing OK then, on a stock gen 1 3.5 eco, would you change the original PCV with the black or the newer brown one ?

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Either will do fine. But if you do a lot of short trips and/or live in a cold climate. I recommend running the brown.

A crazy thing I discovered the other day was that the 11-12 f150s with the 3.5 actually have baffling on the passenger side valve cover.

After further research and comparing strategies... there is no issue at all running either pcv. You must however be up to date on the strategy for your truck.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Trying to end any and all confusion.

So actually thinking about this and looking back.

Those who run a check valve with their catch can will notice no performance difference as the check valve alters the initial flow from the intake manifold.

Those running stock pcv line should notice a difference between running the two pcvs.

I want to clean up some of the wording in my paste posts to make it more clear* this only affects GEN1***

Black pcv flows more but leaks a tad bit when WOT. Which I believe the Engineers knew it did. Due to the open vent on the clean side they knew that pinhole leak would never be enough pressure to blow seals. Side effect of that pinhole leak is oil/blowby being shot out the clean side. Also gave off the false reading of oil being overfilled. This was their standard PCV valve. If it were really a problem with the crankcase pressurizing we would have thousands of trucks blowing seals.

Dan is completely right regarding the Brown pcv. They did in fact turn it into a PCV CHECK valve. Mishimoto actually confirmed this as they no longer offer check valves with their catch can kits. They stated the updated pcv is very efficient and is one of the best OEM check valves that seals under boost.

With the changes they made, the now PCV Check valve leaks no boost into the crankcase. Removing the excess oil/blowby being pushed out of the clean side vent. While having the ability to be open during idle to help with the fuel dilution. The fuel dilution mainly effected those customers who idled a lot and never got the truck fully up to temp to burn the gasses off. It was more popular in colder climates. Ford realized not everyone drives the ecoboost as it was intended. They designed these engines to be run hot and to be used like a truck.

The reasoning behind the smaller diameter hole on the updated pcv is because they needed the valve to evacuate at idle. If they kept the original sized hole then attempted to evacuate at idle, you would have a MASSIVE vacuum leak. So they reduced the size and implement a stronger spring.

Again this only affects gen1. Gen 2 is a completely different beast.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,292 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I have a lot to share but it will have to be another time as I have a 14 hr drive ahead of me. I just wanted to provide some insight.

As I will do my best to not piss people off but the whole marketing scheme saying “tHe PcV wAs DeSigNeD fOR aN NA aPpLiCaTiOn” was completely false the entire time. I’m sorry to say it but he(who will not be named) made some serious money off this.

The original pcv that came on the 2011 F-150 when it was released was SPECIFICALLY designed for that F/I application and the following years. It was then adapted over to the NA applications (3.7). So the story was entirely switched.

The PCV was in-fact considered for a high performance application. This pcv was designed to have slight blowback when pressurized to ensure NO “blowby” would interfere with the mixture. As you know the pcv is in fact opening at times when you are in boost. The throttle body actually opens and closes which leads to the valve opening at short times. More noticeable during shifts. It’s a very smart technic. Hence the amount of oil/blowby that came of the clean side and landed in the intercooler. As you are farther into boost/load the blowby being thrown into the intercooler easily passed and was combusted as the mixture would easily compensate. With the amount of vacuum being pulled under boost this slight amount would NEVER be enough to cause problems. In fact it aided in situations where vacuum was too sufficient and could/would pull oil from the bearings etc..

In fact the design was WAY ahead of other manufacturers. Mopar as of a couple years ago adapted the design over to their HELLCAT engines. Same plunger and spring just different mounting surface. (Threaded rather than slotted) I was able to pull up the patents and a lot was revealed that answered so much.

One flaw of this design was that Ford expected the truck to be driven like a truck and abused. Which then fuel dilution would never become an issue. Well as more and more people drove the truck, ford realized a majority of people never drove the truck as intended. Leading to fuel dilution. So Ford had to switch it up and recreate the pcv to constantly have fresh air pulled thru the crankcase. This was never a problem to those that towed frequently and got the Truck up to temp.

There’s actually a good amount of vacuum being put on the crankcase that pressure was never an issue when in boost. Full-Race was way ahead of the time with their catch can. They were the one true company knowing what to do.

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
14 Hour Drive?

Stay alert!
Get there intact.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SrpRacing
21 - 40 of 65 Posts