F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for getting a tuner I want to go ahead and change the plugs. I don't intend to overly modify my truck just a drop in filter and tuner. My truck will be used mostly for daily driving and towing and I will run mostly 93 oct. Since its only .10 more than 89. The tune I intend too run the most would be a performance street type tune. What plug should I use...I have seen a lot about the Motorcraft plugs for the 13s gapped at .030...would this be best? I don't need brisk. My truck is a 2011

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you don't want the Brisks, get the Motorcraft SP-534's and gap to .030. If you get any spark blow out or surge, you can drop to .028. I have a 13 and my truck like the .028 gap.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
0.28 my truck idles smoother than 0.30. Also took a slight miss at 6k out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you need to have a tuner to gap at .30-.28?
No. However, unless you are having misfire issues there is no need. More cylinder pressure produced by the changes in calibration provided by a "tune" requires a smaller gap in order to ensure good spark with the limited factory ignition system.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just do it, your mpg will improve a bit. For some reason ford did a horrible job with the plug gaps. Mine were at .044-.047, it was a big improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a a slight hesitation problem when starting from a complete stop. And didn't know if I could change the plugs and gap them different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is lean misfire. A smaller gap usually helps (stock use .
035, modified use .028). So would a bit more fuel on acceleration.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ok I will check them and change. I have no tuner. So I just wanted to make sure I could lower the gap and not hurt anything. Thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
My ford dealer told me for my stock 2012 that it changed to CYFS12YT3. Is this info correct? Haven't heard much about those at all on the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just picked up some Motorcraft sp-534's and they all came gapped to .034 re gapped to .028.. What gap do all you guys with tunes run?
BTW I bought them off rockauto for around $4 per plug shipped 3 days

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Just picked up some Motorcraft sp-534's and they all came gapped to .034 re gapped to .028.. What gap do all you guys with tunes run?
BTW I bought them off rockauto for around $4 per plug shipped 3 days
I'm down to 0.025" just because...lol

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm at .028 on my Brisk.

·
Registered
475 Posts
This is lean misfire. A smaller gap usually helps (stock use .
035, modified use .028). So would a bit more fuel on acceleration.
Wrong. It's misfire caused by spark blowout from the increased boost. The smaller gap does wonders.

A lean condition will lead to detonation. I run mine at .025--sp534's. The brisk plugs have proven to have quite a few failures, seems like they are even more susceptible to overtightening than the Motorcrafts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts