F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched quite a bit, I am sure that this question has been asked but I have narrowed it down to the sct livewire but my question is what are the differences between say the sct livewire vs sct livewire with the 5star tuning? From what I have seen supposedly the Livernois tune out beats the 5star in top end. I have no real clue since I have neither of these tunes, that's why I am asking. Who has the safest tune out there? I am really not interested in tunes that mess with the boost level. I just want to have the safest tune out there with my supporting mods which will be exhaust,intake and aftermarket inter-cooler. Should I stick with the sct livewire that all ready comes pretuned? If I am not making sense please lmk and I can re word. Reason I am asking cause I will be buying my tuning software tomorrow. Or are there tunes that maybe raise the boost level but still is safe on this engine? I have been around turbo hondas for a while so I know that turning up the boost is not always the safe thing to do unless you have the mods to support it. Anyways let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
373 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
373 Posts
The sct livewire is an amazing unit. But there are many company's that tune sct devices, I'm sure there's more then I can list. But 5 star, MPT, SoCal, unleashed.. Etc apparently SoCal is pumping out some of the most powerful ecoboost tunes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well just came across the mpt tune with the livewire damn! Those numbers are impressive is this safe? Please help!!!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well just came across the mpt tune with the livewire damn! Those numbers are impressive is this safe? Please help!!!
Absolutely.
Just be sure to log your truck and then let them review it.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I don't like to mess with tunes once I purchase them. I see that the MPT people log and send for revisions to perfect the tune to their truck... I just don't have much time to do that. MPT is putting out a great tune with very high numbers.
Nearly every tune is going to increase boost. That does not mean that it will increase it to dangerous levels. From what I've read, anything at or above 20psi is too much. LMS 93 octane dyno'ed out at 17.9 psi 380rwhp / 460tq.
I ran the 87 octane LMS for a while to get the feel from stock 87, to LMS 87, to LMS 93. The LMS 87 still had plenty of get up and the transmission calibrations were spot on. The 93v2 is basically the 87 LMS on steroids. I attempted to take a video (on a damp road) from 0-60... as soon as I gassed it, my 33.5 M/T slid out from under me and put me sideways... YES, the road was damp. This would not happen on dry ground. I chirped my tires in first and second gear on a separate pull yesterday.

That said, I feel that the tuning option will come down to preference. Many of these companies have put so much R&D in their tunes that they are all very competitive and worthy. I've seen success with the SCT canned tunes, MPT tunes, 5 star tunes, LMS tunes, and many other companies I just can't think of at 3:30 in the morning!

Do the research and make a choice you're confident with. Hell, call the company and ask them anything about their tunes... thats what I did. I informed them I would be running the 87 octane for a period of time and certain companies told me that it's a waste of my time to run an 87 tune.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
If you don't log, you have no way of knowing if your truck agrees with the tune.

Mine was being a picky little B!tch. But with logs and revisions, we got it knocked out.

Actually, I think it was the fuel I was using. That station may be selling something that's not quite 93 out of their 93 nozzle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys all the info given was great, so if I stick with the preloaded sct livewire then I wont be messing with anything correct? How long does it usually take the tuner to revise the tune does this always occur?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Thanks guys all the info given was great, so if I stick with the preloaded sct livewire then I wont be messing with anything correct? How long does it usually take the tuner to revise the tune does this always occur?
What do you mean by "messing with anything"?
If you are asking if the canned tune is safe, then yes it *should* be safe. Data log it anyway and look to see what if any knock you are recording.

When I logged my MPT tune, I got the revisions as quick as 20 minutes for some and as slow as 24 hours on others. A lot of it depends on the day of the week and time of day. The quickest turn around I got was on a Saturday when it seemed like I had Mike all to myself. (I'm sure that wasn't the case, but that's how it felt)

Keep in mind a canned tune is just that. Canned.

A custom tune that's been revised from your data logs is custom tailored to your truck and your driving style. As long as you're not on the razor's edge, I'd think a custom is safer than canned.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean by "messing with anything"?
If you are asking if the canned tune is safe, then yes it *should* be safe. Data log it anyway and look to see what if any knock you are recording.

When I logged my MPT tune, I got the revisions as quick as 20 minutes for some and as slow as 24 hours on others. A lot of it depends on the day of the week and time of day. The quickest turn around I got was on a Saturday when it seemed like I had Mike all to myself. (I'm sure that wasn't the case, but that's how it felt)

Keep in mind a canned tune is just that. Canned.

A custom tune that's been revised from your data logs is custom tailored to your truck and your driving style. As long as you're not on the razor's edge, I'd think a custom is safer than canned.
Sorry if I am bugging you, but I really do appreciate your replies man they have helped me allot. Custom tune that you are speaking of does sound more of a better tune for my specific truck and modifications. That being said do you recommend me buying all my mods first then ordering my custom tune? Seems that it would be better that way. Now all I have to decide is which one the MPT or the Socal. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Sorry if I am bugging you, but I really do appreciate your replies man they have helped me allot. Custom tune that you are speaking of does sound more of a better tune for my specific truck and modifications. That being said do you recommend me buying all my mods first then ordering my custom tune? Seems that it would be better that way. Now all I have to decide is which one the MPT or the Socal. Thanks again.
Not bugging me at all. :)
You would probably do better getting a custom tune dialed in, and then see if you still feel the need to do other mods. The tuner can tweak for your future mods as you get them installed. There could be a fee involved, but that's unfamiliar territory for me at this time. I'm tuned and lovin it, but I'll eventually do something else.

The tuner you hire is a very personal decision, and I can't tell you who to choose....
Dig deep enough and you'll find praises and complaints on each and every tuner out there.

Ultimately, it's up to you to verify the tune is safe (data log) and to your liking. That's more than most guys want to hear, but it's your wallet that gets emptied out if the motor blows. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm in the same boat as u bagged_expo. Been searching and researching for last couple weeks trying to decide which one to get. I'm leaning towards the SCT over the livernois just because is like to use the SCT in future vehicle and seem
Like have more custom tunes. I'm like u though just want it for little more power and smoother ride but don't wanna have to deal with a bunch of **** all the time as far as upgrading and messing with gauges. I just wanna plug and play. SoCal or MPT are what I've narrowed it Down too but who knows...could make last min decision and go LMS. it's hard to decide. Keep us posted on what u decide.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
If you go with the SCT route, just remember about our site vendors! Stage3motorsports will hook you up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I already bought sct 3015 , my friend install it on is truck its crazy. Monday i home put it whit afe 2 stage air intake. Do sommebody Know the best exhaust for ecoboost.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts