F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over at the Tundra forums today to see if I could find any power mods that might work on my GX. I stumbled across a thread about a guy whipple charging his tundra. He posted a video of another whippled tundra with headers and exhaust on a custom tune. It made . . . . .

wait for it . . . .

435 RWHP.

$8000 for a whipple and full exhaust to make 435 whp. I couldnt help but make a post suggesting that I was not impressed. I mean its his money and everything, but if you are gunna get 10 MPG at least do it on a platform that makes more hp than a tune only Ecoboost.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hahahah!!!!
15 years ago that engine was impressive, now it's a gas hog that is only relevant because toyota.

If you think that hp/dollar is bad, check out genuine GM performance exhaust on a silverado. It's around $1,200 for 7hp.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahahah!!!!
15 years ago that engine was impressive, now it's a gas hog that is only relevant because toyota.

If you think that hp/dollar is bad, check out genuine GM performance exhaust on a silverado. It's around $1,200 for 7hp.
Yeah but that silverado probably puts down 435 rwhp too :ROFLMAO:

I am kidding of course, but I bet a stock 6.2L on 93 puts down mid 300's.

·
Registered
2019 3.5 XLT/SE 4X4 Magnetic SuperCrew 6.5 box 3.55 rear
87 Posts
I was over at the Tundra forums today to see if I could find any power mods that might work on my GX. I stumbled across a thread about a guy whipple charging his tundra. He posted a video of another whippled tundra with headers and exhaust on a custom tune. It made . . . . .

wait for it . . . .

435 RWHP.

$8000 for a whipple and full exhaust to make 435 whp. I couldnt help but make a post suggesting that I was not impressed. I mean its his money and everything, but if you are gunna get 10 MPG at least do it on a platform that makes more hp than a tune only Ecoboost.

Wow hilariously absurd. Just goes to show how far some are will to go, or put up with, in the name of brand loyalty. It amazes me that these 5.7 tundras are even slightly relevant to some people. Just grossly outdated. But just as you said, different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You guys are so blinded by your ford envy that you don't even ask yourself if this is real or not. Sure, that truck may have only put down 435 but given a 5.7L with a tune can reach that then that is clearly not the norm. Maybe just an idiot installer. Reality checks are pretty simple to do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You guys are so blinded by your ford envy that you don't even ask yourself if this is real or not. Sure, that truck may have only put down 435 but given a 5.7L with a tune can reach that then that is clearly not the norm. Maybe just an idiot installer. Reality checks are pretty simple to do.
im actually a LS fan boy and my ecoboost was first time I went away from a GM vehicle lol

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You must not have seen a lot of my posts in the last year or so.

After my second warped manifold, a CRP this time, and overheating every time I tow when its 80°F+, I have not exactly been drinking the coolaid or toeing the party line. Tundra's are actually one truck I would consider switching too because I think Toyota actually gives them a real cooling system. Even though they may not be as powerful as a 3.5 EB, they are probably more consistent.

And no. 435 whp might be a little on the low side, but most guys with blowers on the tundras seem to only be making mid 400's. The one guy I found that was making upper 400's was the star of the show. Whipple only shows 484 rwhp on their dyno charts. Hell, Toytec has a blown regular cab tundra on Hoosier drag slicks on methanol fuel and only ran a 12.7 quarter. Thats full weight crew cab tune only ecoboost territory.

·
Registered
453 Posts
No I have not looked at either of your histories and didn't mean to sound too negative. I just wanted a little common sense applied and I may be a little sensitive because I like my tundra more than my f150.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts

After my second warped manifold, a CRP this time, and overheating every time I tow when its 80°F+, I have not exactly been drinking the coolaid or toeing the party line. Tundra's are actually one truck I would consider switching too because I think Toyota actually gives them a real cooling system. Even though they may not be as powerful as a 3.5 EB, they are probably more consistent.

And no. 435 whp might be a little on the low side, but most guys with blowers on the tundras seem to only be making mid 400's. The one guy I found that was making upper 400's was the star of the show. Whipple only shows 484 rwhp on their dyno charts. Hell, Toytec has a blown regular cab tundra on Hoosier drag slicks on methanol fuel and only ran a 12.7 quarter. Thats full weight crew cab tune only ecoboost territory.
I did see you on expedition portal the other day talking about your lexus. So I guess I do know you a little.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I have not looked at either of your histories and didn't mean to sound too negative. I just wanted a little common sense applied and I may be a little sensitive because I like my tundra more than my f150.

The tundra is not a bad truck at all. For truck purposes I bet it does quite well.

Slapping $8000+ worth of mods on it seems to be like peeing into the wind though.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Might want to look at this video, doesn't look like Toyota has the temp under control either.
Their trans temps do get hot. My lexus had the same issue which is why I added an external trans cooler. But my lexus also literally never went above 199F coolant temps towing my travel trailer. 3 weeks later, I pulled the exact same route in my F150 on a 10 degree colder day an was in the 220's. This was not a high speed route. It was lower speeds on a switch backed pass so i went just as fast in both cars.

So you could have high trans temps and throw on a trans cooler. Or I could have my Ecoboost that turns into a nuclear reactor, throw and oil cooler, trans cooler, intercooler, and radiator costing you $2000 and still not stay cool.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hey, I'd be a buyer but they're more expensive, when I was shopping there were zero rebates/discounts and couldn't find a trim that was in the price range I was looking, and terrible mpg.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts

Im surprised that anyone has temp issues when towing with these things. I pull a 10k loaded camper on 34" tires when its 110 degrees here in iowa. Highest temps I see are 210 engine and maybe 225 trans. And thats when Im beating on it in the hills. I feel there must be an underlying issue.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
31 Posts
I can appreciate the draw of the alleged Toyota reliability and honesty of a simple truck.

Which is why starting with a Tundra for a go fast platform seems an odd choice to me. Once it’s blown, doesn’t all that go out the window???

On the other hand, I could never fault someone for wanting MO POWA BABY!!!

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can appreciate the draw of the alleged Toyota reliability and honesty of a simple truck.

Which is why starting with a Tundra for a go fast platform seems an odd choice to me. Once it’s blown, doesn’t all that go out the window???

On the other hand, I could never fault someone for wanting MO POWA BABY!!!
Well, you’d think, but Toyota had the TRD Supercharger that was factory installed with a full warranty that bumped the 5.7L V8 from 381hp to 505hp.

So toyota apparently thinks there is plenty of overhead in the motor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I traded my 13 cc ecoboost with 60k in on a tundra two years ago. While it doesnt have as much power as my eb did (4.6l not 5.7) it does just fine with my 24’ TT and loaded with family and gear. After a turbo replacement, mysterious driveline vibration under load on highway, full set of brakes and brake hoses at 60000, bad o2 sensor, seemed to only get good fuel mileage on 93 (16 mpg on 87) bed/doors rotting at 6 years old, timing chain rattle on startup, battery replacement, I couldnt afford to own it anymore. If the truck had 100k on it i could be understanding. I loved the power and the truck but i needed something reliable and not at the dealer constantly. People complain about tundra mileage but i regularly avg 16 and better on the highway, but it is an outdated basic pickup. Prob why i like it lol. I am also not a brand loyalist, i owned two Silverados and had good luck with both

Reactions: heavyritefoot

·
Registered
235 Posts
I traded my 13 cc ecoboost with 60k in on a tundra two years ago. While it doesnt have as much power as my eb did (4.6l not 5.7) it does just fine with my 24’ TT and loaded with family and gear. After a turbo replacement, mysterious driveline vibration under load on highway, full set of brakes and brake hoses at 60000, bad o2 sensor, seemed to only get good fuel mileage on 93 (16 mpg on 87) bed/doors rotting at 6 years old, timing chain rattle on startup, battery replacement, I couldnt afford to own it anymore. If the truck had 100k on it i could be understanding. I loved the power and the truck but i needed something reliable and not at the dealer constantly. People complain about tundra mileage but i regularly avg 16 and better on the highway, but it is an outdated basic pickup. Prob why i like it lol. I am also not a brand loyalist, i owned two Silverados and had good luck with both
That's rough...I would of got rid of it also.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts