F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2019 F150 XLT 4x4 2.7 Screw
36 Posts
Just an observation. Does anyone know anything about the dyno? Is it a heart-breaker, meaning that it shows a low number but the vehicle goes to the track and runs great/higher than expected mph for elevation/DA/etc? Other vehicles run on that dyno, are their numbers lower/normal/higher than other dynos?

Dynos are just a tool. I wouldn't take a number from them without reference from another source. 435rwhp doesn't sound impressive, but if it is a low reading dyno, he could still surprise a few people.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
It’s a “super flow” Dyno which I know nothing about.

Keep in mind that the 435whp is on 91 octane, Canadian 91.

They did a pull with e30 and were at 478whp.

I would assume that they would see some good numbers on US 93.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
435RWHP would have been daydreaming not too long ago. We aren't easy to impress these days.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It’s a “super flow” Dyno which I know nothing about.

Keep in mind that the 435whp is on 91 octane, Canadian 91.

They did a pull with e30 and were at 478whp.

I would assume that they would see some good numbers on US 93.

I guess i am surprised that a DOHC 5.7L V8 isnt throwing down way bigger numbers with a blower. 435 whp seems like what the 6.0 or 6.2L GM V8 could do NA with some boltons and maybe a cam. And i dont mean the current DI motors, I am talking LS2/LS3 and their truck variants.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah seems really low. There was a guy that lived near me that had a supercharged Titan and it ran with my turbo tacoma pretty good. I wasn't a crazy amount faster and I had 430 wheel. This has got to be either b!tch tuned or bad numbers

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah seems really low. There was a guy that lived near me that had a supercharged Titan and it ran with my turbo tacoma pretty good. I wasn't a crazy amount faster and I had 430 wheel. This has got to be either b!tch tuned or bad numbers
right but I have not really seen any trucks more than 500 rwhp. I found one guy at like 494 or something and everyone was asking what he had done like it was some amazing feat.

Maybe its the stroke? The 5.7L is the same exact motor as the 4.6L, just with a longer stroke and it is under-square(94mm bore/102mm stroke) The GM LS based motors are all oversquare and the 6.0 is 102mm x 92mm. The Toyota just can't breath I guess?

No one elses motors are under-square but no one else is making peak torque at 3600 rpm either.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know if that's the case either, its basically the same motor they use in Nascar and those things are making 800 with a carburetor

·
Registered
2019 F150 XLT 4x4 2.7 Screw
36 Posts
Then he should us a 6/71 blower with a carb on top of that 'yoda engine. (being silly of course)

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I guess i am surprised that a DOHC 5.7L V8 isnt throwing down way bigger numbers with a blower. 435 whp seems like what the 6.0 or 6.2L GM V8 could do NA with some boltons and maybe a cam. And i dont mean the current DI motors, I am talking LS2/LS3 and their truck variants.
You’re falling into the trap of the number. Unless there is a baseline, it’s not much of a indicator. Put a LS in the same Dyno, with the same fuel and compare numbers.

My truck has been on a lot of Dynos, and with minimal to no changes, there was a massive spread in numbers. One Dyno was 450 and another was 509.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You’re falling into the trap of the number. Unless there is a baseline, it’s not much of a indicator. Put a LS in the same Dyno, with the same fuel and compare numbers.

My truck has been on a lot of Dynos, and with minimal to no changes, there was a massive spread in numbers. One Dyno was 450 and another was 509.

So if it made 10% more you would be impressed?

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
So if it made 10% more you would be impressed?
I guess I should have relayed on my expectations as well, sorry about that. IMO on 91 a 430-480whp number is pretty solid for that configuration. I seriously mean that. It's not high boost and SC's are not near as efficient as Turbo's. Yes, you can say that there are 5.0's out there that are making 1000+whp with blowers, however they are few and far between. There are WAY more folks in the F150 world targeting performance, then in the Tundra world. It's just the reality that knowledge leads to support, which leads to results. We are all also aware that more displacement, doesn't lend to more power, if there are mechanical limits like the stock cams or injectors.

Keep in mind that the 91 octane on the island is not as good as what US guys see, I know as I ran it. It wasn't even as good as mainland 91. I actually used my tuner to pull global timing 2 points over my usual 91 tune at the time. This is also a case where a Shop has experience with tuning, but appeared as though it was there first of this set up. I also may have missed it, but didn't see/hear the actual PSI this pulley and kit was creating.

We are also very jaded when comparing everything to the eco platform and see numbers from Dyno's that are obviously inflated. We constantly compare, it's in our nature. I've watched too many MPT and 5* videos I guess, but a unloaded, 3-4second pull is hardly a properly set up Dyno. I've also noticed on a few Dynojet videos, that the Dyno temp sensors are poorly placed (one was even just sitting on the fricken control box that generates heat!) and mysteriously, they post awesome numbers.

All I'm trying to say is that certain platforms accel over others when it comes to performance and there are a lot of factors.

A LS 6.0 is not much stock. I had a 2004 AWD Silverado SS as a company truck. I thought it was a rocket, lol! I could take the same vintage Mustang GT's at any light. They put down a whopping ~260awhp stock. Stock 6.0 injectors are MAXED at 320whp. Example of heavier modded truck, 425 to the wheels with ported/decked heads, 224 cam, e-fans, e-water pump, aftermarket roller rockers, thinner head gasket, headers, muffler, CAI, and underdrive pulley. This was on the stock intake and a tune that was a little rich. I later put down 465 with a victor jr intake and 90mm tb and a tune that was right on the money. Don't know the fuel uses. That's a RWD truck (2005) and smaller diameter tires than a Tundra.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
35 Posts
Well said @Blown F-150. Dyno is just a diagnostic tool. Any figures don't compare to anything other than incremental changes on the same platform, same dyno, same conditions. I view it no different than how EPA mpg ratings are simply relative to other vehicles, and NOT representative of what you'll see.

In the video, they don't show a dyno run before the s/c, but they mention it was 295rwhp (no specs on tq).
Improvement of 140rwhp / 48% (to 435) is absolutely nothing to sneeze at.

Edit: btw 295rwhp was with headers & exhaust. Which means that dyno IS a heart breaker - even if those didnt add any power, that's a 23% driveline loss from mfr crank rating.

Cut to results:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts