F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Littleton Colorado. Elevation is around 5400 Ft.
Our Octane is 85-87- & 91.
When I go to higher elevations, such as Bailey, Breckenridge etc. I always fill up before my trip home.
I know most of it is downhill but I always get 2 or 3 miles per gallon.
My last trip home, after filling up in Bailey, on top of Crow Hill. When I hit C-470 I was getting 39.2 M.P.Gallon.
When I got home it was 22 MPG.
After a few days it’s still 18-19 mpg , until I fill up again?
question is.
The High County Octane is the same as down here. What makes more MPG? I know it’s down hill butthe gas is better. Who blends the Gasoline?
The Oil Co. can give us a better product?
My $.02.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Sounds like the simple combination of elevation and the lie-o-meter.

The only difference you could see would high quality (ie top tier) vs low quality gas. While towing, I always used 91 from a reputable retailer (Shell, etc...).

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,645 Posts
I don't know why but mine runs better on Citgo ethanol free 93 than any other gas. Not sure if Citgo is top tier but 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
The same happens to me when I go down a long mountainous road downhill in one direction vs the other - and I set my cruise to the same speed both ways. I reset one of my trip meters when I head out each way.

I get slightly better mileage downhill than uphill. Also, when I go downhill my tank is full vs almost half going uphill (so uphill has a slight weight advantage). I use the same tank of gas and don't refill.

It's a 1-2 mpg discrepancy.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I don't know why but mine runs better on Citgo ethanol free 93 than any other gas. Not sure if Citgo is top tier but 🤷🏻‍♂️
I wrote that poorly. Top tier is about additives, not necessarily better gas. You should not see a difference in MPG or even power with so called top tier. You should see longer term benefits from keeping your internals cleaner.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
🤷🏻‍♂️ Says on the pump there are additives.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I wrote that poorly. Top tier is about additives, not necessarily better gas. You should not see a difference in MPG or even power with so called top tier. You should see longer term benefits from keeping your internals cleaner.
What @madmuaxmutt is saying is that usually it is the same "tanker truck" delivering all the gas, and the only thing the person does, is add the specific additives unique to the major brands.

Techron for Chevron and V-Power for Shell, just as an example.

I know this to be true as I one day saw the same Fuel Truck pull up to the Shell across the road while I was filling up my truck at a Chevron, and then the same truck pulled up to the Chevron Station to deliver fuel.

The day when specific brands did everything, including delivery to their stations is gone.

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
As a resident on the outskirts of the Energy Capital Of The World, (and the heart of refining belt along the Texas/Louisiana coast), delivery to multiple brands is still appearingly "regional". Everyone in one area is buying very similar gas.

Fortunately we get pretty good stuff in respect to 93 octane with 10% corn.

Even at the airport, although we have 6 competitors selling various "branded fuels" (JetA), it all comes from the same fuel-farm (big tank) and provided by a single supplier.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The same happens to me when I go down a long mountainous road downhill in one direction vs the other - and I set my cruise to the same speed both ways. I reset one of my trip meters when I head out each way.

I get slightly better mileage downhill than uphill. Also, when I go downhill my tank is full vs almost half going uphill (so uphill has a slight weight advantage). I use the same tank of gas and don't refill.

It's a 1-2 mpg discrepancy.
I believe you can get better Mileage not using your Cruise control unless your driving on a flat road.
When your going down hill the cruise control holds you back with higher rpm’s.
When going up hill the engine is at or near full throttle.
I coast down hill. Your mpg will increase. You trick the computer.
West of the Front Range is all Mountain Driving.
Not many options for Cruise control.
The 10 speed trans is a real asset.
This does not represent Union or Management.
My own$.02.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Based on my experience, I disagree. I have found cruise gives better mileage than manual driving, especially on hills. This is based on driving my truck on the same route for over 7 years on a particular round trip of 500 miles.

No one drives EXACTLY at the same speed for any long distance. Especially on hills. You will either start to go slow and then accelerate to catch up (burns gas). And then slowly increase in speed. And that results in wasted gas. The real KILLER of fuel economy on the 3.5s is when you start going over 60 mph.

I've driven the same 500 mile (250 each way) stretch many times, and tried various speeds, both cruise and not. On my truck, cruise actually gave better mileage. And also gave the most consistent mileage.

And when I go down hill, I slip it into M and that stops the transmission trying to hold you back. And if it's a steep hill, often you must put it in a lower gear or you'll burn your brakes out prematurely. Some of these hills are very long.

And many times, I have filled up before starting the first 250 miles "downhill" and then refilled for the next 250 miles uphill. I am not relying on the Lie-O-Meter but the actual fuel consumed and the actual amount to fill.

The uphill trip ALWAYS (if driven the same) gave worse mileage.

Finally, when the truck is set with cruise, I just listen to music and don't vary my speed (unless I hit traffic ... but usually not, as I typically drive very early in the morning before the traffic builds).

With no cruise, even if a person can hold it at a certain speed for a long distance, most people will get bored trying to drive the same speed and start to vary. It's just human nature.

Reactions: butthead

·
Registered
2020 XLT Max Tow SWB
54 Posts
Altitude matters. The higher the altitude (elevation) the less dense the air is. So a normally aspirated engine will demand less fuel, and will also have lower combustion chamber pressures, so there is less need for higher octane. Because there is less fuel being used, the miles per gallon will go up. I do not know how this works with a boosted engine though.

The other point is it usually costs more to deliver the pump gas to the mountains so lower octane does not equal lower prices.

This is not a scientific explanation, but is one that can be proven by experience.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I leave it on cruise and lock out gears as I approach hills. 6th then 5th then 4th until I top the hill then plus them back and sometimes start locking out again when going down a long steep one but with cruise off. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I leave it on cruise and lock out gears as I approach hills. 6th then 5th then 4th until I top the hill then plus them back and sometimes start locking out again when going down a long steep one but with cruise off. I hope that makes sense.
I do pretty much the same thing as you do. With my mods and over 535 RWTQ, my truck hasn't found a hill that it can't pull 6th gear @ 60mph, and that's some very steep grades (8% grades). The road is called the Coquihalla and is one of the worse roads for steep grades in the province, if not the country. The 8% grade section is nicknamed "The Smasher" by truckers.

But, on some of the steeper hills, even though it CAN pull in 6th gear, I prefer not , and I will typically knock it down to 5th, as I hate pulling 10+psi boost @ 1,500 rpm. I have datalogs showing my stock oem HPFP is having a problem feeding my engine at 10+psi boost at low rpms. Putting in 5th, both reduces the boost required as well pulls higher revs to help the mechanically driven HPFP.

Something I am hoping to resolve shortly when I get that XDI-35 HPFP installed.

Also, I find it is better to not let the tranny to shift by itself at low speeds; it goes to high a gear and then I face the same problem - high boost demand while travelling low rpms.

I purposely try to keep the engine above 1,500 rpms at a minimum to avoid the low fuel from HPFP due to insufficient rpms.

At 30-40 mph - 3rd gear. 40-50 mph - 4th, 50-60 mph - 5th and 60+ - 6th.

Also, funny enough, I found using those speed range/gear - I get my best fuel economy.

Reactions: butthead

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Yes. I shift down and limit boost and get better mpg while towing and probly not towing also.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Yes. I shift down and limit boost and get better mpg while towing and probly not towing also.
Try unloaded. And you may find a bit more fuel economy too.

I remember my brother's F250 with a 460. Loaded, unloaded, and any speed under 60 mph; his fuel economy was identical (and worse than my 3.5 ever gets ... and I have even more RWTQ than his 460 had). Over 60, his got horrible mileage in the "single digits".

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Try unloaded. And you may find a bit more fuel economy too.

I remember my brother's F250 with a 460. Loaded, unloaded, and any speed under 60 mph; his fuel economy was identical (and worse than my 3.5 ever gets ... and I have even more RWTQ than his 460 had). Over 60, his got horrible mileage in the "single digits".
Been there !

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
The recent V10 Ford could arguably be today's 460, or up until recently anyway. And it was known for shear grunt under load, rather than economy.

Jury is out on the new 7.3, but once the teething is done it looks like a worthy torch carrier of the Big Ford Gas motor. Yet when it is under load and at full steam, it isn't moving the bar up that much on fuel economy either.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The first 460's were equivalent in power and torque to the gen 1 3.5 eco. The later ones built in 72 and after had less HP and about 400 lb ft TQ.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Going down hill with your foot off the gas your fuel usage should be zero for that length of time. The test reports I read said coasting, with foot off gas, fuel was cut off until somewhere around 18 mph. Not sure if that would work in neutral.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts