F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
The recent V10 Ford could arguably be today's 460, or up until recently anyway. And it was known for shear grunt under load, rather than economy.
The gas V10 is the power house of the RV world right now. It pulled my motor home 21,000 lbs up and down the hills of TN and KY and the water temp never went above 210 in July with temps in the high 80’s and had plenty of power to boot.

edit: on 89 oct.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Going down hill with your foot off the gas your fuel usage should be zero for that length of time. The test reports I read said coasting, with foot off gas, fuel was cut off until somewhere around 18 mph. Not sure if that would work in neutral.
Coasting down hills in neutral or pulling the clutch in, is illegal where I live. Though coasting down in 6th (Gen 1) is almost like neutral too. 😏

That was my first surprise when I first drove this truck, even in lower gears, going downhill this engine doesn't have much engine braking.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
The gas V10 is the power house of the RV world right now. It pulled my motor home 21,000 lbs up and down the hills of TN and KY and the water temp never went above 210 in July with temps in the high 80’s and had plenty of power to boot.

edit: on 89 oct.
A buddy is looking for one of those V10s.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The recent V10 Ford could arguably be today's 460, or up until recently anyway. And it was known for shear grunt under load, rather than economy.
Jury is out on the new 7.3, but once the teething is done it looks like a worthy torch carrier of the Big Ford Gas motor. Yet when it is under load and at full steam, it isn't moving the bar up that much on fuel economy either.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Jury is out on the new 7.3, but once the teething is done it looks like a worthy torch carrier of the Big Ford Gas motor. Yet when it is under load and at full steam, it isn't moving the bar up that much on fuel economy either.
My 2020 is a 6.8 guess I should have waited until 2021 lol my motorhome now has the 7.3 for 2021

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,646 Posts
Nobody expects the 7.3 to get good mpg. The 7.3 is for if you need a 7.3.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My 2020 is a 6.8 guess I should have waited until 2021 lol my motorhome now has the 7.3 for 2021
HAHA You have diesel tho !

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Have gasser 6.8 not diesel wish I did then I could use my f150 for my toad and not my trailhawk
Wow was I ever wrong LOL Who makes the 6.8 gasser ?

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Wow was I ever wrong LOL Who makes the 6.8 gasser ?
The First On Race Day guys👍

Triton / V10
Ford
Cylinders 10
Horsepower 320 hp @ 3,900 RPM
Torque 460 ft-lbs. @ 3,000 RPM
Displacement 6.8 litres
Fuel Type Gas

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
The First On Race Day guys

Triton / V10
Ford
Cylinders 10
Horsepower 320 hp @ 3,900 RPM
Torque 460 ft-lbs. @ 3,000 RPM
Displacement 6.8 litres
Fuel Type Gas
And they are used in a diverse number of applications.

We have 2 facilities that have backup generators on natural gas using them.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Well I knew about the V10 but was thinking V8 ! Where I work, we have a few inline 16 cylinder generators that will run off natural gas or diesel. Not sure they are all Cummins, but Cummins services them.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Sorry OP didn’t mean to derail your thread on octane rating

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wrote that poorly. Top tier is about additives, not necessarily better gas. You should not see a difference in MPG or even power with so called top tier. You should see longer term benefits from keeping your internals cleaner.
Yes. Top Tier is a marketing firm. You promise to use the minimum quantity of one of many different detergent packages on Top Tier's list, pay Top Tier's fee. Then you get to advertise as "Top Tier!"

Top Tier only sells F.U.D. Anyone can do as good or better, they just can't post the TT sign without paying the fee.

·
Registered
77 Posts
🤷🏻‍♂️ Says on the pump there are additives.
All gasolines have a minimum additive package to meet EPA standards. There are different brands of additive packages, and different quantities of each required to do the same minimum EPA job. All Top Tier does is say, "use more than that."

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe you can get better Mileage not using your Cruise control unless your driving on a flat road.
I agree. A good driver can get as good or better MPG manually than on Cruise Control. However CC is useful for comparing MPG because it can do a better job of repeating conditions for comparison.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts