F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered yesterday from autoanything, because they listed as in stock ships immediately - only to receive an email saying they won't ship until May 5th!! Cancelled order.... My RAS is arriving tomorrow and I want to install together so I don't have the rear 3" higher than the front!

is there a forum sponsor that has in stock and can ship this week??

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Amazon is a good place.

·
Vendor
1,517 Posts
Stage 3 has them. Im about to order some. Been doing research first
The 5100 Fronts have had hit or miss availability for a while now. We're hoping to get a straight answer about whether we can get our paws on them sometime in the next day or so, hopefully.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are my options? I don't want a spacer.... But I don't off-road so I don't need a crazy priced lift option..

·
Vendor
1,517 Posts
What are my options? I don't want a spacer.... But I don't off-road so I don't need a crazy priced lift option..
It really depends on what you do with your truck. If it's purely a street/towing truck, then you can use Rancho QuickLifts. If you do any off-roading at all, you'll want something a little tougher.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Imo the bilsteins are a great deal because you get front and rears in the kit for 350 bucks. All the reviews I've read are good for on and off road. If you don't plan on doing crazy off road stuff these well be just fine. Plus they're adjustable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... Bilsteins ordered on Amazon.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Ok... Bilsteins ordered on Amazon.

FYI, the fronts are different than the rears, just making sure. Fronts are backordered on prime (other seller has them for $150) but rears are $78. When I bought mine from (stage 3 or somebody, I don't recall) the fronts were available and the rears were backordered -- but amazon had them. Odd. You'd think they'd make even amounts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm adding the Roadmaster Active Suspension on the rear, and hadn't intended on buying bilstein shocks for the back. I called Roadmaster directly and ordered the RAS for $350 shipped. That's to prevent sag from the boat trailer... But the preload will likely raise the rear about an inch when nothing is on the hitch. Hence the reason to lift the front.

The front ones I ordered were priced at $95 each.. Part # 24-187466. Amazon said only 14 left in stock, and now says: Only 12 left in stock. Ships from and sold by Truck & Winch. Hopefully that in stock status is valid...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm adding the Roadmaster Active Suspension on the rear, and hadn't intended on buying bilstein shocks for the back. I called Roadmaster directly and ordered the RAS for $350 shipped. That's to prevent sag from the boat trailer... But the preload will likely raise the rear about an inch when nothing is on the hitch. Hence the reason to lift the front.

The front ones I ordered were priced at $95 each.. Part # 24-187466. Amazon said only 14 left in stock, and now says: Only 12 left in stock. Ships from and sold by Truck & Winch. Hopefully that in stock status is valid...
If you're lifting the rear, you may want to go with bilsteins in the rear as well, they are 1in longer than stock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rear is only lifting due to preload of the RAS, do you really think the rear shocks should be replaced too?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The rear is only lifting due to preload of the RAS, do you really think the rear shocks should be replaced too?
For $150, a much better shock, and one that accounts for the change in rear height I don't see why you wouldn't. Takes 10 minutes to swap out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Son of a $&@?!!! I guess "in stock" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. Truck and Winch checked with the vendor and the shocks are 3-4 weeks from being available. Last time I went down this road it took me 5 months to get a set of Koni adjustable front shocks for the mustang!

n00g is costing me another $150 (probably well spent but now I'm just venting)

Im starting to think more about the Rancho quick lift option...but once I got those Koni adjustable shocks - I learned that I never needed or wanted to adjust them..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Having the RAS and rear Bilstein shocks installed as we speak. I'm upset that, due to injuring my arm, I can't install them myself! I love working on my own, but it'll be 6 months before I turn a wrench again ;(

Public service announcement, if you lift weights, be sure to stretch. Apparently, if you don't, your muscles are shortened and everything is tight. Then when you try to catch a falling stand uppaddle board, which isn't all that heavy but it's 10' 6" length generates a lot of force twisting your wrist and arm... Anyway, tendons make a loud pop when they come off the bone. :mad:

The front 5100s shipped today and should be here next week...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The install went well, considering the techs at this garage had never heard of the RAS before...and decided to throw the instructions to the side instead of reading them. First thing they did was call me back to show me that the RAS was too short for my application... Assuming they had read the instructions, I called the sales person I worked with at Roadmaster... He said "common mistake, we have to screw the pieces all the way down to ship them - simply grasp the spring and unscrew it." I let him talk to the tech directly, so nothing was translated incorrectly. (Note- This is Step 9 in the instructions) At this point, they actually let me into the garage with the tech. I may not have been able to turn the wrenches, but I made sure it was installed exactly how I wanted it...and following the "VERY IMPORTANT" notes in the instructions!

Shock body up!! Although the stock shocks were body down, visually - as we didn't even try, it does not appear the Bilsteins would fit body down with the RAS installed. Looks like there would be contact..

The RAS comes with two plastic discs to guage how much they assist the rear - white was 25% "additional load" and black was 40%. The RAS sales person suggested I use a "loose fitting white disc" given the 750lb tongue weight of the boat. I was in the garage with the technician, I could tell him where to stop tensioning the spring. Somewhere in between the white and black disks...we used a washer that was in-between to set both sides the same.

First driving impressions: Unloaded only, due to my arm injury I won't be towing the boat at least until June. Maybe a little firmer, but barely. It's certainly not Ford Super Duty stiff!! I did notice that the rear of the truck doesn't shake and wander as much over railroad crossings. I really enjoyed the 10 miles I drove yesterday..
I forgot to measure the rear before/after the install to see just how much it raised the rear of the truck...but the eye ball perception is probably 3/4" higher than before.. When the fronts arrive, I think I will have the tech set the spring clip on the middle setting - Bilstein install instructions state this is typically 1.3". This should take SOME of the rake out, so that the truck will be level when towing.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - previous reviews - reading my rants and hopefully laughing a little.
I'll update when the fronts are installed.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have towed my trailer a little over 2000 miles now with the RAS and I have been impressed with how much more stable everything is over what I experienced last year. I think the Anersen no-sway/WD hitch is adding to the stability also. I am happy with both.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the install.. Can I upload pics directly in the forum? I don't have any social media or photo hosting accounts. if I feel up to it tomorrow, I'll get a couple shots of the parts with the truck on the ground. Shouldn't be too difficult. If nothing else, when the shop does the fronts I'll get some pictures from underneath.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts