F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 fx4 completely stock except for a sct with the standard loaded tunes. I'm pulling a 28 ft race car trailer, not sure on the exact weight but i figure its around 8000 lbs.. I cant stand how it tows with these files. Who has the best tow, and performance tunes?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Reactions: milesej05

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Haha Vol.

I just made this same thread this morning in the towing section. I don't think you will get the same drama and BS associated with the 1/4 time and all out performance tunes, but I have been wrong before, I'll add what I can, this is towing a 25' enclosed snowmobile trailer, filled with 4 sleds and gear, my guess would put it at the 6-6.5k lb range.

I had the SCT tune on mine and outside of some shifting I could not notice any increase over stock, and in some scenarios it was worse. A few times it would hold the gear WAAAAAY to long, and it held 5th gear way to much. I tliked to shift a lot which ruined the power of the ecoboost, it seemed to search for gears instead of lock in and run. Maybe 500 miles or so towing this tune.

Next would be the LMS tune. I thought this was a pretty good tune. I liked the fact the shifting strategy was good on it. It seemd a LOT like the SCT tune as far as power, they dialed it down a lot from their performance tune to keep it safe. I put maybe 2k miles on this tune pulling but felt it lacked the power. This is how the factory tune should have been, it's predictable and sustained.

SSI is the lastest tune I used. It has great power and great shifting between gears and torque converter lock up. It would always seem to be in the best gear which in all honestly was 6th either locked or unlocked, I downshifted myself just to try 5th gear and let the big dog eat on some major mountain passes. Power was really nice, it would spool up and down and pulled like a diesel for sure, hell I looked down a few times and saw 75-80 and it seemed like it wasn't working hard at all. The only thing I didn't like was the part throttle response, I would get a lot of flutter in the throttle baldes, it liked to be kicked down. I am not sure if thats exactly what it was or not, and I also plan to swap out my BOV's in the next couple of days to see if it's not them bleeding off boost under part throttle.

I guess I like just testing and running different options, I am thinking about running 5* as I think that sounds like middle ground between LMS and SSI. Not sure who else makes good tow tunes though....

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Heard good things about MPTs tow tunes. Read some good stuff and talked to Mike about them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
5star has good tow tunes. Had this first- towed 10k easily
have Lms now and like it - also towed 10k Plus a few times and loved it !
next purchase will be MPT race tune & tow tune.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I am not a huge fan of LMS, I was right away until I started trying other tunes. They did a good job right away with tunes and marketing, but I think v10 was a step backwards and about every other brand has passed them. I am thinking 5* next.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good thing a bout mike @ 5star is you can pull max weight with their performance tune / nobody can say that.
I gotta agree with the V10 being a step back IMO - they are trying to figure out some shifting issues with mine right now as we speak.

Reactions: SkiSmuggs

·
Registered
11 Posts
I try all the tune. 5*, SSI , MPT last year and unleashed. 5 star and SSI are the best .
I only tow my 5 wheel whit 5 star cause the winter come too fast . I cant wait to try the new SSI TREX Tow .
Mpt and unleashed don t tow very well in my opinion .

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I try all the tune. 5*, SSI , MPT last year and unleashed. 5 star and SSI are the best .
I only tow my 5 wheel whit 5 star cause the winter come too fast . I cant wait to try the new SSI TREX Tow .
Mpt and unleashed don t tow very well in my opinion .
My SSI T4 are nice to tow my work daily trailler .

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have also tried several. LMS didn't have the power, nor did SCT. SSI is very strong and did well with my 9500 fiver. I haven't towed with 5* or MPT yet, but loved the way 5* drove and thought ver4 of MPT had sloppy shifting. Haven't driven ver8 yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts