F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if there is anyone on here that has over 100K miles on their 2.7 EB?
If so, what if any issues have you experienced with this engine?

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
Got a 16 with 40,000 and another with 10,000.
So no high mileage.
Nothing but oil & filters so far.
Grateful. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Our '18 is about 3.5 WEEKS old, got almost 175 miles on it!! hahahaha

Reactions: N4HHE

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started this thread because I'm considering trading in for a new model. I absolutely love my 2016 but I'm now second guessing long term reliability. I'm coming up on 44K miles but my engine was replaced at 28K. I'm wondering if I can expect to get at least 250K out of the new engine with its 1st gen direct injection setup. I really love my truck and had planned to keep it forever but now I am thinking I should trade in before the mileage gets any higher.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I started this thread because I'm considering trading in for a new model. I absolutely love my 2016 but I'm now second guessing long term reliability. I'm coming up on 44K miles but my engine was replaced at 28K. I'm wondering if I can expect to get at least 250K out of the new engine with its 1st gen direct injection setup. I really love my truck and had planned to keep it forever but now I am thinking I should trade in before the mileage gets any higher.
Did you have any issues prior to needing a replacement motor. Has the new one shown any signs of anything negative. Some may get 300k some may get 60k there are a lot of other factors to consider. I do see a valid point in figuring a baseline, but everyone’s mileage will vary. I have a 99f250 7.3 in my driveway that is all factory minus water pump and alternator that’s got 525,000 on it and it’s still running good. Most won’t see anywhere close to that. So consider any other mileage, but at the end of the day it’s what you are comfortable doing. I know a few Ford techs personally and they strongly recommend the 5.0 is the motor to get. They simply see far less of them coming in for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have any issues prior to needing a replacement motor. Has the new one shown any signs of anything negative.
My old engine ran great up to the day it was replaced. My truck fell in the Apr16-Jan17 build date range and had a smoking on startup issue. Turns out there was metal all in the oil system. The new engine seems flawless so far.

I know a few Ford techs personally and they strongly recommend the 5.0 is the motor to get. They simply see far less of them coming in for service.
That's actually the engine I'm considering. I know they see less 5.0's in the shop but there's also less of them being sold. I think 1 in 3 new F150's sold has a V8 now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My old engine ran great up to the day it was replaced. My truck fell in the Apr16-Jan17 build date range and had a smoking on startup issue. Turns out there was metal all in the oil system. The new engine seems flawless so far.

That's actually the engine I'm considering. I know they see less 5.0's in the shop but there's also less of them being sold. I think 1 in 3 new F150's sold has a V8 now.

It might even be less now. I know my local dealers aren't really keeping more than 2-3 5.0 trucks in stock and the lot is full of 2.7's.

FWIW I'm in the same spot but 2.7 has been flawless through 45k miles. I really don't want to start over but I'm worried about this truck in 5-10 more years which is ideally how long I'll keep it.

Reactions: 2012+2019 ford f150

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine only has 23,000 miles on it but I personally know of a 2016 2.7 that has just over 160,000 miles on it. No issues. Oil changes when the dash monitor says...ie @ 10,000 mile intervals using 5w30 Motorcraft Semi/Syn.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Haven't posted for a long while. I'm about to turn 40k and haven't had any issues at all. Just keep doing my oil changes at 7k miles. Full synthetic oil. I either use valvoline or Mobil 1. Been tuned by unleashed since 500 miles. I just recently replaced the tires and the front brakes are starting to squeak once in a while. So I know those are coming in the next 5-10k.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2.7 only has 23800 miles on it. No issues at all. I'm using Motorcraft semi/syn and a Motorcraft filter and using approx 7000 miles as my change interval. I have a friend that delivers "emergency" parts all over the Southeast for a local industrial supply company. Pat's 2016 2.7 XL Super Crew 2wd had crossed 160,000 miles when I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago. He also uses the Motorcraft semi/syn and changes the oil per the oil life monitor, which has been every 10,000 miles. No catch can. No new plugs every 20,000 miles. No issues...at all.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2.7 only has 23800 miles on it. No issues at all. I'm using Motorcraft semi/syn and a Motorcraft filter and using approx 7000 miles as my change interval. I have a friend that delivers "emergency" parts all over the Southeast for a local industrial supply company. Pat's 2016 2.7 XL Super Crew 2wd had crossed 160,000 miles when I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago. He also uses the Motorcraft semi/syn and changes the oil per the oil life monitor, which has been every 10,000 miles. No catch can. No new plugs every 20,000 miles. No issues...at all.
Glad to hear about the 160K 2.7 out there!
I'm coming up on 50K (20K on engine). I have been combing the dealer lots off and on for the last month or so but the more I look at new trucks and consider starting over on the payments the more I really like my current F150. Twin panel sunroofs are kinda hard to find and my truck is also set up just the way I want it with grill guard/winch, rear air bags and front level kit. So I have decided to keep it and see just how many miles I can squeeze out of it. I think I will try and get my wife a new vehicle in the fall instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm curious if there is anyone on here that has over 100K miles on their 2.7 EB?
If so, what if any issues have you experienced with this engine?
43k on my 2016 right now, bought the 100k warrranty with it , Option 1 is to sell it privately at 90k in 2 years. Ford mechanics will tell you the turbos start having issues after 100k miles. but so do all vehicles somewhat, fed with consistent oil changes (5k for me) im sure on average you will be able to get 150 to 200k out of them. May go for the diesel version, not sure. at this point. Plan 2 , buy two brand new turbochargers and install them myself at 90k miles. Sell the used but working turbos on ebay, people with a failed turbo will buy them. I am going to do this first on my kids ford fusion ecoboost and see how it goes. Run truck to 199k and sell.
Mine is used 90% commuter truck and haul a 7k lb boat/trailer every weekend in the summer.
We love the truck, the 2.7 ecoboost is a beast. I had a Tundra 5.7 and a f150 5.4 before it and the ecoboost is equal without winding the rpms up and all the downshifting. I have towed this boat in the hills with temps in the high 90's and its never even gotten hot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Someone has to be “that guy” so I’ll be him today. Just rolled 60k in 17 2.7. Drivers side turbo replaced at 40k. Was in shop 6 weeks for that. Beginning to show signs of another leak now. Small amount of smoke on startup again. Oil changed per monitor with Motorcraft oil and filter. Used as commuter truck for work. Been a great ride other than failing turbos.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm now at 75k miles on truck (45k on engine). Oil changed every 5k miles. I do a lot of highway driving, tow a travel trailer about once a month and use the 4 wheel drive low range fairly often. No issues so far.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm now at 100K miles on truck (70k on engine). The 2.7 has been flawless. I'm getting better gas mileage now than I ever have before. I did drain and fill the tranny fluid at 90k and again at 95k miles. Still love this truck.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just about to hit 100k In the 17. Still chugging along just fine no issues other than turbo way back when. Great power and fuel mileage still, even still on factory Michelllins NEVER rotated. Been a great little truck.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts