F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Well... My 2016 4X4 2.7 liter XLT has 108,000 miles and is at the Ford dealership due to a cylinder #3 failure and now needs a new engine! This is setting us back for a refurb. engine at $10,650. I drove Toyota's for the past 20 years and got over 300K out of each of them. I'm very disappointed in the lack of longevity from the 2.7. I put 85K on this truck in the first 2 years, all highway miles and never towed with it. I loved the performance, ride and fuel economy and maintained the truck meticulously. Gave it to my son who has babied it up to the 108K. I now have a 2018 raptor that if Ford doesn't help me with some sort of compensation for a truck that has been on the road for 3.5 years, I will be trading the Raptor as well. The ball is in Ford's court to do the right thing, and I have many more trucks to buy in my lifetime!
I wouldn't be happy about a motor failing at 108k
And I definitely would be influenced by that in future purchases. But I can't imagine Ford would be willing to pay for any of it. Nor Ram, Chevy, or Toyota.

Isn't that almost double the warranty mileage?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldn't be happy about a motor failing at 108k
And I definitely would be influenced by that in future purchases. But I can't imagine Ford would be willing to pay for any of it. Nor Ram, Chevy, or Toyota.

Isn't that almost double the warranty mileage?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
You are correct, and I had an extended warranty to 100K. They have offered $2500 to date which is half of the labor to install the new engine. The fact that I just purchased a new Raptor and the 2016 puts me into them for over 150K in 3 years and not standing behind that kind of loyalty is a problem. I believe they recognize that and we'll see that happens. I don't think its enough for a truck that has been on the road for 3.5 years, IMHO.

·
Admodistrator
2,557 Posts
You are correct, and I had an extended warranty to 100K. They have offered $2500 to date which is half of the labor to install the new engine. The fact that I just purchased a new Raptor and the 2016 puts me into them for over 150K in 3 years and not standing behind that kind of loyalty is a problem. I believe they recognize that and we'll see that happens. I don't think its enough for a truck that has been on the road for 3.5 years, IMHO.
I certainly appreciate your situation and it would be nice if they gave you some help with this. However, I find your comment highlighted above interesting. Who gets to make the call when it is enough?

I’m sure Ford will own an even larger percentage of the market once they put a 200,000 mile/10 year bumper to bumper warranty on their trucks at current prices. The fact that you purchased an extended 100,000 mile warranty at 108,000 miles it means that you got what you paid for even though it may not have been your money’s worth. Unless the warranty you purchased said something to the effect of “we’ll see what we can work out if you have a problem once you get past the 100,000 mile mark”, you got nothing. Extended warranties as we all know are simply a roll of the dice some pay off in spades more often than not, not so much. The “not so much” part of things is the reason they offer the warranty, it isn’t to keep happy customers it’s because they make money.

There is no doubt some owner over in Chevy World or Dodge Nation that is in a similar situation as you are. They’ve spent $150,000 over the past coupe of years with their company of choice and if they don’t get support they’re going to go look at a Ford or Toyota and they should check the waters. Your situation though sad is not unique and no doubt the big 3 or 4 trade what should be good customers frequently.

You may get a dealer that appreciates your business and throws you a bone but I honestly don’t see Ford Cooperate stepping up to the plate for this. I don’t see corporate Dodge, GM or Toyota doing it either. I wish you the best of luck and really would like to see someone cut you a break.

·
Administrator
10,625 Posts
And I'll add, I'm afraid being "babied" was part of the problem. It seems the ecos that go the distance are the ones being given the beans.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

61 - 66 of 66 Posts