F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Just yesterday, I bought a 2012 f150 platinum with the 3.5 in it.

I have a video explaining my issues but the just is, it’s slow. A lot slower than I was expecting and slower than what I’m seeing 0-60 and 0-100 videos online. Do you have any thoughts?

While on the freeway I’ll be doing 65 or 70 and I go to punch it and it doesn’t go over 4K revs and it climbs to 4K very slowly. From 70mph to 75mph takes me a solid 8-10 seconds I’d say.

Thank you guys for the help!! Here’s the video

In the video it finally goes past 4K, but this is the first and only time it does it

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,541 Posts

I have a video explaining my issues but the just is, it’s slow. A lot slower than I was expecting and slower than what I’m seeing 0-60 and 0-100 videos online. Do you have any thoughts?

While on the freeway I’ll be doing 65 or 70 and I go to punch it and it doesn’t go over 4K revs and it climbs to 4K very slowly. From 70mph to 75mph takes me a solid 8-10 seconds I’d say.

Thank you guys for the help!! Ps I can’t figure out how to upload a video
What do you mean "slow", can you elaborate on that..it IS a truck and not a sports car after all.
Given that all the torque is made at 2500 and below, 4k isn't really necessary
Upload to YouTube and drop the link in here.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,621 Posts

Thank you guys for the help!! Ps I can’t figure out how to upload a video
Not sure what you mean by slow. You sure you’re not watching videos of these things tuned? They are fast stock, but even faster tuned. Sounds like you are lugging it or something. Try this. When going about 50mph, put the pedal all the way to the floor and see what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean "slow", can you elaborate on that..it IS a truck and not a sports car after all.
Given that all the torque is made at 2500 and below, 4k isn't really necessary
Upload to YouTube and drop the link in here.
Ok, uploading now should be up here soon, My ecoboost Ford Escape was faster than it, I was just expecting alittle more I suppose. I may be out of my noggin but it just doesn’t feel right for the revs to climb so slowly

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
It still looks slow, that's similar to the acceleration when I'm pulling a trailer. If you can't spin the tires without traction control off, something is definitely up.

You can look at boost, coolant temp, see how long ago someone may have cleared a code. Did you get it at a dealership?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It still looks slow, that's similar to the acceleration when I'm pulling a trailer. If you can't spin the tires without traction control off, something is definitely up.

You can look at boost, coolant temp, see how long ago someone may have cleared a code. Did you get it at a dealership?
Ok gotcha, yes I bought it an a dealership. I’m thinking I should have a tech run through it

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,688 Posts
I'm as much an optimist as anyone, but I still am alarmed to see the number of used F150's that are bought used from dealers that the buyer doesn't seemingly have a previous relationship with, all without a proper PPI.

And if the dealer balked at whatever PPI that I wanted to perform, then they have no chance to sell me the truck.

I also admit that my own personal opinion of just what the PPI entails is not the same for every vehicle, but a used Ecoboost beyond the 5/60,000 factory warranty has a more thorough probing than one that has factory powertrain warranty left.

Anyways, it sure seems like the forum is getting far more of these "I just bought a Gen1 Ecoboost and have these symptoms" threads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm as much an optimist as anyone, but I still am alarmed to see the number of used F150's that are bought used from dealers that the buyer doesn't seemingly have a previous relationship with, all without a proper PPI.

And if the dealer balked at whatever PPI that I wanted to perform, then they have no chance to sell me the truck.

I also admit that my own personal opinion of just what the PPI entails is not the same for every vehicle, but a used Ecoboost beyond the 5/60,000 factory warranty has a more thorough probing than one that has factory powertrain warranty left.

Anyways, it sure seems like the forum is getting far more of these "I just bought a Gen1 Ecoboost and have these symptoms" threads.

I read over the inspection and they did a pretty through out sheet, however I didn’t want to bog on it hard during a test drive. Lesson learned I suppose.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ok gotcha, yes I bought it an a dealership. I’m thinking I should have a tech run through it
For sure. There's a lot of factors that can cause that acceleration, sticking caliper, bad trans, ect. Without any noises, it's hard to internet diagnose.
Or exercise whatever warranty they gave you.
What mpg do you get running 65-75?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,621 Posts
Pretty much in all ranges I am getting 12.3-12.6 mpg
Here’s what I would do if I were you. Grab a boost gauge and hook it up or get an obd2 reader you can use with your phone to see what boost is. It sounds to me like you are in limp mode maybe? Idk but you are not building boost I don’t think.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.