F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost F150.....I am towing a 34ft, 6500lb pull behind camper, and from Louisiana to Austin Texas, only could manage 7.0 miles per gallon! Is anyone else having this poor mileage?...I am rated for 9600lbs as I have tow package w/ 3.55 gears.
Even around town, I struggle to hit 14 mpg....7500 miles on truck, and the best on Hwy I can get is 18.2. Average speed of 70 mph.

Just looking for some feedback from other Eco owners.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have a 2014 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost F150.....I am towing a 34ft, 6500lb pull behind camper, and from Louisiana to Austin Texas, only could manage 7.0 miles per gallon! Is anyone else having this poor mileage?...I am rated for 9600lbs as I have tow package w/ 3.55 gears.
Even around town, I struggle to hit 14 mpg....7500 miles on truck, and the best on Hwy I can get is 18.2. Average speed of 70 mph.

Just looking for some feedback from other Eco owners.
I haven't seen over 15.5 on my truck even cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a 2014 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost F150.....I am towing a 34ft, 6500lb pull behind camper, and from Louisiana to Austin Texas, only could manage 7.0 miles per gallon! Is anyone else having this poor mileage?...I am rated for 9600lbs as I have tow package w/ 3.55 gears. Even around town, I struggle to hit 14 mpg....7500 miles on truck, and the best on Hwy I can get is 18.2. Average speed of 70 mph. Just looking for some feedback from other Eco owners.
I get the same pulling a 31' travel trailer. I only get about 10 pulling a 24' nautical star.

·
Registered
510 Posts
18.2 isn't bad for a full size truck on the hwy IMO.
+1

As far as towing. Moderate to heavy side or head wind and 65mph, 7mpg is about right. You can help a little running premium, in my experience.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I pulled 300 miles 6500# TT recently and got computer averaged 11 mpg 3.73 rear max tow. Have not done the paper math economy yet.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Maybe downhill with a tail wind, both directions.

Reactions: IanG

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
My last pull from Phoenix to Prescott...105°and I have a 33'...8k+ TT loaded. I got 8-10, altitude was 5500' above sea level. Round trip from Phoenix to San Diego I pulled in 12.2 on 87 pump gas!
Sometimes it depends on how much ethanol is mixed in....the more E85 the worse it can get. But then unhook and get 18-22 on 3:73 max tow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You might want to use 91 gas, I went from 11-12 mpg to 14-15, Costco gas. I pull a 8,000 trailer, moderate hills, and lock out 6th gear at times to keep the revs into the power band. (over 2200-2300). Best mileage so far has been 19mpg. The truck does have the 3.73 gears. Love the power !!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Traveled from Baton Rouge to Austin, Tx...
How fast where you towing? I think that's likely your biggest issue.
Over 65 and you're mileage is REALLY going to go suffer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you decided to buy an Ecoboost you bought the hype about highway gas mileage but did not do your research on towing. Anyway towing anything gets 10 mpg at best, I don't care if it's a Hemi, diesel, Ecoboost or whatever they call it, if you can get to 10 (and I agree that's probably down hill with a tailwind both ways) settle for that. Besides, if you are buying new pickups to pull new trailers, what's a few bucks in the gas tank.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Where do you live? Altitude has a huge effect on these trucks.
From Louisiana to Austin TX, There isn't much altitude there!!!! :)
18.5-20 around town, 21-22 on the highway. My dog sticks his head out the window and it goes down 1mpg. Ya, that's how bad these trucks are and just how little it takes to bring it down.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
How are you computing the mpg's? If using the computer and the 'instant mpg' meter and resetting it on the fly, I can get anywhere from 5 mpg to 30+ mpg.. ;)

Just depends on when you 'reset' it and what your current driving conditions are..

My routine is to set the trip meter just before I pull out of the driveway and leave it alone for the entire trip.. I'll also reset the instant mpg at that time too.. When I get gas along the way, I'll only reset the instant mpg depending on if I get the gas after I've parked the TT and I'm now just cruising around sight seeing.. :)

Once I hookup the TT again, I'll reset the instant mpg again and go with it for my estimated mpg's during that time. It's only to give me a rough idea of how the rig is running at that time. Head winds simply KILL mpg's.... Rolling hills and grades KILL mpg's... Going down the back side of the grade only nets back a few tenths...

Again, I only really care about the total amount of gas used for the entire trip and the mpg's it computes to... Ultimately, the trip meter usually nets me around 11.5 mpg overall. Even if the instant mpg only shows 9 mpg because of that dang head wind or different grades along the way.. :)

Your mileage may vary.. :)

Mitch

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
When you decided to buy an Ecoboost you bought the hype about highway gas mileage but did not do your research on towing. Anyway towing anything gets 10 mpg at best, I don't care if it's a Hemi, diesel, Ecoboost or whatever they call it, if you can get to 10 (and I agree that's probably down hill with a tailwind both ways) settle for that. Besides, if you are buying new pickups to pull new trailers, what's a few bucks in the gas tank.
That is so not true! My diesel far outperforms my Eco-boost when it comes to towing a fuel economy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hope you don't tow that thing every weekend... If you do then you should have bought a diesel truck.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts