F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the thread about catch cans for the ecoboost, but I feel like as many people should see it as possible, instead of just attaching it onto an older thread.

Now I will say this, my truck has had this on it since 150 miles and I will say that the amount of oil is pretty mind boggling. I have never had a vehicle that sent this much oil through the pcv.

In the photos is how much oil 300 miles yielded. I know I am glad to have it going in the can and not elsewhere.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
How does this work? My mechanical knowledge is pretty limited.

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
7,395 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
So what is the worry of having some oil being recirculated into the intake providing a little extra lube to the valves and piston walls
It would also at some point raise the octane of the fuel mix since its flashpoint is significantly higher than ethanol and gasoline

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
So what is the worry of having some oil being recirculated into the intake providing a little extra lube to the valves and piston walls
It would also at some point raise the octane of the fuel mix since its flashpoint is significantly higher than ethanol and gasoline
Read the other thread going with a link to the explanation as why it's bad.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Read the other thread going with a link to the explanation as why it's bad.
If it's bad then where is the stock catch can? Or is this another "fix in future" mod that Ford is doing? Sorry but your answer just threw me for a loop after reading this forum for months about other peoples - shutters, loss of power, weird cold start noises, moisture, BOV sounds & whatever else people want to ***** about. It's all good, if I NEED a catch can cause my truck will run better with it. Then I will look to get one. Just like I NEEDED waste gate noise. It is a turbo truck you know.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
It was already stated that most 80% of people that drive are to stupid to even change their oil let alone remove a can full of oil every 2000 miles or so.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Actually, oil in the air/fuel mixture lowers the octane (read the article in the original post) and it's during WOT, when the PCV valve system is not functioning due to no vacuum to suck the gases from the crankcase that this becomes a problem.

During WOT, the oil from the blow-by in the crankcase is sucked into the intake directly and this is when you don't want oil coming into your air intake, reducing the octane level of your air/fuel mixture and causing detonation at the worst possible time.. Part throttle is not an issue as the oil goes through the regular PCV part of the system, which does some oil separation on it's own. Also, part throttle the mixture is generally not as "volitile" and prone to detonation.

I guess it really depends how hard you drive your truck, and who much detonation is an issue. If you are at "part throttle" 99.9% of the time, then the catch can is of little value because even though you may still have some boost, your mixture is not going to be as prone to detonation.

But, if you are opening up your engine all the time and especially if you have a fairly heavily modified engine (possibly bigger turbos, more aggressive tuning), then detonation does become a bigger issue and a catch can almost becomes a must. And those guys would be tinkering with their engines all the time, so draining a catch can every couple of months would be no big deal.

For most moderate drivers on a fairly bone stock engine, and who is NOT into maintaining their motor, a catch can is something to be avoided; if they are finding any detonation issues, they can either buy a higher grade of fuel or let the PCM pull out the timing and reduce their power.

For more aggressive drivers who have a modified engine and running an aggressive tune, a catch can makes a lot of sense. Maybe even water-methonal injection.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
PS: To the original poster. Look at the condition of that oil! THAT is why I like to change my oil more frequently than the factory recommended interval, even if I use synthetic.

Also, if I am burning that much oil, you would think that you would see a noticeable reduction on the dipstick. Maybe that's a great way to determine whether or not a person needs a catch can ... because you are consuming a lot of oil ... and you would like to know if it is because of "blow-by" or if the engine is just burning it.

At Catch Can may also reduce the blackness in your exhaust if you are burning a lot of oil.

I think a Catch Can is similar to changing your oil ... you need to consider your driving style/habits, as well as how modified your engine is.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
So how much do you run a truck @ WOT?
My point exactly ... along with how much have you modified your engine? It definitely serves a purpose for the more aggressive driver or modified engine.

But for someone who "putts along 99.99%" and even when they pass, they are more inclined to use "half throttle" ... a catch can is probably not for them.

I believe the real issue is potential detonation at WOT, especially on a heavily modified engine with an aggressive engine tune. For them, a catch can sounds like a "must have".

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
How about a catch can for engines that pull 70% of their lives? I use my truck for hunting and pulling the boat and in the near future, a camper and boat. Should a person look into a catch can if they primarily use teir truck for pulling?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PS: To the original poster. Look at the condition of that oil! THAT is why I like to change my oil more frequently than the factory recommended interval, even if I use synthetic.

Also, if I am burning that much oil, you would think that you would see a noticeable reduction on the dipstick. Maybe that's a great way to determine whether or not a person needs a catch can ... because you are consuming a lot of oil ... and you would like to know if it is because of "blow-by" or if the engine is just burning it.

At Catch Can may also reduce the blackness in your exhaust if you are burning a lot of oil.

I think a Catch Can is similar to changing your oil ... you need to consider your driving style/habits, as well as how modified your engine is.
Want to know the scariest thing about that oil condition. My truck does not even have 700 miles on it yet, just bought it 13 days ago.

But I completely agree, I never let it run to the life rating of the oil.

After seeing the oil in the can and the little bit of spray that collected in the fill cap, I will be doing an oil change very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Just because oil is dark has nothing to do with its ability to lubricate properly. I bet you do oil analysis at 10k and the loss of viscosity and additives is minimal. Dark is oxidization and carbon.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just because oil is dark has nothing to do with its ability to lubricate properly. I bet you do oil analysis at 10k and the loss of viscosity and additives is minimal. Dark is oxidization and carbon.
I wasn't basing the decision off of the darkness of the oil. If you look in the photos you will see a yellowish build up around the threads on the catch can and around the bottom. If you were to hold the can just right in the light so it shined through the oil a bit the yellowish "sludge" is present in the oil. I'm not claiming to be an expect on oil analysis but I'm fairly certain that is not supposed to be in with the oil.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
It is most probably foaming due to the way the air/ oil mixture flows through the catch can.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is most probably foaming due to the way the air/ oil mixture flows through the catch can.
Like I said I'm not oil expert and not claiming to be!

How would that end up on the fill cap? Or could that be from the same?

When I had this on my last vehicle I never had anything other than just clean oil in the can

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Like I said I'm not oil expert and not claiming to be!

How would that end up on the fill cap? Or could that be from the same?

When I had this on my last vehicle I never had anything other than just clean oil in the can

Mike, I didn't realize your truck was still low mileage and being broken in. Manufacturers do put "break-in" additives to help with the break-in period. I took my truck in around 1,250 miles and asked to have my oil changed. The dealers said it wasn't necessary, but confirmed that there were "break-in" additives and after 1,250 miles it would be a "nice to do" the oil.

After seeing your oil, I rate it "glad I did it".

I am thinking of a catch can now ... just because I would like to see what is going into my engine. Sort of like checking your plugs, even though I probably won't change them ... I just want to see what's happening inside. Without a catch can, I am expecting BLACK!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike, I didn't realize your truck was still low mileage and being broken in. Manufacturers do put "break-in" additives to help with the break-in period. I took my truck in around 1,250 miles and asked to have my oil changed. The dealers said it wasn't necessary, but confirmed that there were "break-in" additives and after 1,250 miles it would be a "nice to do" the oil.

After seeing your oil, I rate it "glad I did it".

I am thinking of a catch can now ... just because I would like to see what is going into my engine. Sort of like checking your plugs, even though I probably won't change them ... I just want to see what's happening inside. Without a catch can, I am expecting BLACK!

Well thanks for alleviating some of my concern, I was pretty shocked at how the oil looked. You saying there is an additive makes perfect sense as to what I was seeing, like I mentioned a few posts ago, it was like the yellow-ish substance was floating around in the oil when you held it up to the light.

I also mentioned I am no expert and, that why I am on this forum is for posts like the one you just gave, now I am not concerned and will be changing my oil at 1250 for sure!

Like you mentioned about seeing what is going on inside your engine, I had this on my Charger before I traded it in on the Ecoboost, but I did the every 3000 mile oil changes myself, and I will say every time I emptied the can, the oil looked just as good as the oil I was dumping in the engine, and the oil coming out of the oil pan looked just the same. So I definitely think it does kind of give you a "window" into the engine. Just my $.02

1 - 20 of 63 Posts