F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the other forum but wanted to see thoughts here. I feel like we may be seeing the last of the HDPP. A few reasons I am thinking this:

-The 2021 F150 is allegedly going to be a coil-sprung 5 link and possibly even independent suspension. Prototypes of both suspensions have been caught in the wild in the last few months. Not that they couldnt keep a high RAWR with these suspensions, but I would guess they might not put in the effort.

-They have slowly been shaving down options on the HDPP trucks, at least in the US.

-The new Superduty with the 7.3L gas V8 and 10 speed transmission(as well as GM's 6.6L gasser) make stepping up to the heavy duty trucks less painful.

-Because no one makes an HD 1/2 ton anymore except for Ford and they don't sell a whole lot of them.

-They haven't updated the tow ratings on them to match the non-HDPP models since 2017.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think you are right I’m kind of surprised when I think about it that they have it of 2020. It’s the longer bed that decreases the market. Everyone likes the 5 1/2 bed. The 7.3 will pull a few buys away from the ecoboost and a few from the 6.7 Powerstroke. I could easily see them fading out the HDPP. Honestly I would rather the HDPP Over the previous gassers it may be a toss up on the 7.3. Real world MPG’s on the 7.3 will tell the tail.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right I’m kind of surprised when I think about it that they have it of 2020. It’s the longer bed that decreases the market. Everyone likes the 5 1/2 bed. The 7.3 will pull a few buys away from the ecoboost and a few from the 6.7 Powerstroke. I could easily see them fading out the HDPP. Honestly I would rather the HDPP Over the previous gassers it may be a toss up on the 7.3. Real world MPG’s on the 7.3 will tell the tail.
The new F250/350 Tremor with the 7.3L will be hard to pass up if I am ever in the market for more truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’d hate to see it .. I wish I would have ordered a HDPP Lariat with the rubber floor when I ordered my 18

The 7.3 sounds awesome but it’s not as powerful and versatile as the mighty 3.5 EB

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
But with the 7.3 you can have GODZILLA stickers on your truck now (best name ever for engine IMO)

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
As a big fan and someone who went through the trouble to order an HDPP truck configured perfectly for towing, I'll be disappointed, possibly.

But if that 7.3 F250 in XLT trim can be within a few thou$and of the HDPP, which is likely, there's less to disappoint. Problem is, the SuperDuty trucks are not known to be discounted nearly as much as the F150. So that MSRP difference isn't indicative of procurement cost difference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’d hate to see it .. I wish I would have ordered a HDPP Lariat with the rubber floor when I ordered my 18

The 7.3 sounds awesome but it’s not as powerful and versatile as the mighty 3.5 EB

-Brian

You will get no argument against the eco form me. I’ve been sharing the good news since my first time behind the wheel. I’ve converted a couple die hard Chevy owners myself included because of the ecoboost, and I’m currently working on a couple guys who think they need a diesel but really don’t. But I will say the torque numbers on the Godzilla are almost a flat line from idle, time will tell on my next purchase I’m probably a minimum of two years out. I’m not sure I could go wrong with either honestly.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will get no argument against the eco form me. I’ve been sharing the good news since my first time behind the wheel. I’ve converted a couple die hard Chevy owners myself included because of the ecoboost, and I’m currently working on a couple guys who think they need a diesel but really don’t. But I will say the torque numbers on the Godzilla are almost a flat line from idle, time will tell on my next purchase I’m probably a minimum of two years out. I’m not sure I could go wrong with either honestly.
The only downside of the 7.3L for me is altitude. The boost will definitely outgun it at higher elevation, but thats not a big issue for most people.

The 7.3’s 430 hp and 475 tq becomes 345 hp and 380 tq for me. My boost still makes 500 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm with a tune here.

·
Registered
50 Posts

I’d have interest a 3500SRW with the 7.3. I did notice the torque curve . I would think that would be a engine that would last a long time .

I drove a friends 18 6.2 powered 2500 and it was a PIG . I’ve gotten spoiled with the power to weight ratio of the F150/3.5 combo .

-Brian

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’d have interest a 3500SRW with the 7.3. I did notice the torque curve . I would think that would be a engine that would last a long time .

I drove a friends 18 6.2 powered 2500 and it was a PIG . I’ve gotten spoiled with the power to weight ratio of the F150/3.5 combo .

-Brian

I agree the eco is an awesome motor, it’s proven itself to me time and time again, but if Ford puts the same effort into building the 7.3 to be a reliable long term platform that they have the eco the simplicity of the 7.3 would be a massive benefit in terms of long term reliability. But only time will tell if this is a home run. The HDPP eco will still likely be the smarter choice for the weekend warrior due to mpg’s M-F but the a super duty with the 7.3 should prove to be a great daily workhorse that is cheaper and easier to maintain gas option to the Powerstroke.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree the eco is an awesome motor, it’s proven itself to me time and time again, but if Ford puts the same effort into building the 7.3 to be a reliable long term platform that they have the eco the simplicity of the 7.3 would be a massive benefit in terms of long term reliability. But only time will tell if this is a home run. The HDPP eco will still likely be the smarter choice for the weekend warrior due to mpg’s M-F but the a super duty with the 7.3 should prove to be a great daily workhorse that is cheaper and easier to maintain gas option to the Powerstroke.
I can’t wait to see what the milage is with the ten speed

-Brian

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
They are probably doing the coil set up because of people like me. I use my truck as a car. Never tow anything. Hardly even load anything in it so the 5 1/2 bed is perfect. Ford is phasing out Some of their cars in favor of most people buying SUV’s and car like driving F150’s. Maybe that will make the real truck guys buy their 250 or 350’s. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
They are probably doing the coil set up because of people like me. I use my truck as a car. Never tow anything. Hardly even load anything in it so the 5 1/2 bed is perfect. Ford is phasing out Some of their cars in favor of most people buying SUV’s and car like driving F150’s. Maybe that will make the real truck guys buy their 250 or 350’s. Just a thought.
It's possible, unless a modern application of coils can be done without taking the truck out of the truck.

I admit that the whole idea makes me a little uncomfortable. Lol

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ram already is doing this with the 1500 and 2500’s. They legitimately ride a lot better than a stock F150 and I would say better than mine with Bilsteins. I have had a few of the previous gen 1500’s and a 2019 Rebel and they are nice.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Ram already is doing this with the 1500 and 2500’s. They legitimately ride a lot better than a stock F150 and I would say better than mine with Bilsteins. I have had a few of the previous gen 1500’s and a 2019 Rebel and they are nice.
But that's running empty, right?
I totally get that it can be tuned to ride really nice at empty or loaded. But both?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've got a max tow #7700 GVWR 2013 F150 and it has a payload sticker of #1920..

I know the new trucks are lighter and have less GVWR, but have equal or higher payload..

I just know for me, I went from towing a 22' #5000 TT with this truck to now towing a 26' #7000 TT and while the truck handles the extra length and weight just fine, I have found that I have to monitor the engine cooling a lot more than I ever had to before..

So, not sure how I could tow a "tow rating" of #11,000 trailer with this rig?? Well, at least not going over the grades and passes I do here in the NW.

Anyway, love my truck and it does all I need it to do and I have figured out the engine cooling part with just adjusting what gear I am in and how much boost it's using to keep the temps in check..

Just my experience with it and if I need a "HD" truck, I'll just get a 25 or 35 series truck.. ;)

Just like putting the little diesels in these 15 series trucks?? How many of the F150 diesels do you hear about on the RV sites?? Or even the 1500 Rams or the XD Titans with the diesel in them?? No way.. If I need a diesel, it'll be one of those big ass ones that are now putting out around #1000 of torque! :)

Mitch

·
Registered
585 Posts
Everyone likes the 5 1/2 bed.
I absolutely love my 8' bed. It's nice to be able to fill up the bed with a lawn tractor or sheets of plywood/drywall/etc. and close the tailgate.

The only down side is that I don't make many U-turns. :oops:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I totally get that it can be tuned to ride really nice at empty or loaded. But both?

There used to be a heavy towing kit that was a link and bag system. It was supposed to be for the 3/4 and 1 ton market.

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts

Most of the folks who use the Roadmaster Active Suspension seem to report that it accomplishes that feat.

I'm okay with mine unloaded and towing now, so I just can't justify the $450.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts