F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
But that's running empty, right?
I totally get that it can be tuned to ride really nice at empty or loaded. But both?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I would imagine they have they same problems as a leaf sprung truck as far as being to soft or too heavy. I would say that my F150 is fairly undersprung but it does ok. At least the 5 link is better controlled and doesn't have issues like axle wrap and weird twisting of the leafs and those dumb jitters you get when you hit weird, off-angle bumps.

Plus, you can option auto leveling air bags on both the 1500 and 2500 instead of coil springs. That takes care of the problem entirely. It levels the truck and it increases the spring rate based on the load by default.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I would not support a 4 link, it is a truck. It will also allow Ford to upcharge the truck even more.
What are the downsides? Ive always just heard wear on the bushings for the links. My jeep is 4 linked and i did need to replace the upper arms around 110k.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Because it is a truck.

I would also be surprised if they go 4 link and not IRS from the expedition. I would think they could sell IRS as a "upgrade" for people that stay on the street.

It would be better ride and better for racing though lol

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
My guess is Ford will probably go with IRS for Platinum and/or Limited trims.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
That's possible.
But history would indicate that today's Platinum innovation is tomorrowd XLT, minus the fancy suit.

It's just a production cost eventuality.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That is my guess. The irs was just on a regular truck and looked a lot like the expedition setup.

There was a raptor prototype caught in the wild with shrouds all around the rear suspension. Someone stuffed a camera under there and it was a 5 link coil spring setup with a swaybar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only problem I see with the IRS is diff overheating. Diffs in IRS set ups have limited lube capacity, unless Ford puts in a cooler for it or increased capacity. Now the 7.3 in a lightly optioned 250 series would be pretty cool. Looks like it’ll be easy to change oil and I’m positive it’ll burn 87 octane. It just looks overbuilt which I love.
We shall see...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The IRS f150 spotted was a hybrid or electric truck. Probably geared more towards the daily grocery getter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would support 4link way before double wishbone. IRS sucks for load carrying capabilities. I hate the way my expedition handles a car trailer with a 4wheeler. I can’t imagine hooking up my camper to it much less a tractor or mini x on a trailer. And honestly the rebound when going over an obstacle like pulling into an uneven parking lot is way rougher than my f150.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Ford has the build and price up on the 2020 Superduty. I built an F350 XLT Screw, short bed, 4x4 with 7.3L/10 speed and the Tremor package and some random crap like upfitter switches and dual batteries for $56,000. Thats only $2k more than the similarly optioned HDPP I've spec'd before. Most of that is in the Tremor package which is $4000.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Ford has the build and price up on the 2020 Superduty. I built an F350 XLT Screw, short bed, 4x4 with 7.3L/10 speed and the Tremor package and some random crap like upfitter switches and dual batteries for $56,000. Thats only $2k more than the similarly optioned HDPP I've spec'd before. Most of that is in the Tremor package which is $4000.
That's an amazing value.
Now wouldn't be awesome with a $10,000 discount? (I'm not asking for the $14,000 F150 XLT gasser)

·
Registered
103 Posts
That’s so tempting. That’s only 4K more than the MSRP than the 2019 xlt 3.5 with max tow my dad just bought. Mileage unloaded on the 7.3 will be the factor.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
That’s so tempting. That’s only 4K more than the MSRP than the 2019 xlt 3.5 with max tow my dad just bought. Mileage unloaded on the 7.3 will be the factor.
I'm betting, but just a guess, that running empty is still more efficient in the 3.5boosted F150 by at least a couple of mpg. Likely more.

I would be thrilled with a 14mpg real world empty F250

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm betting, but just a guess, that running empty is still more efficient in the 3.5boosted F150 by at least a couple of mpg. Likely more.

I would be thrilled with a 14mpg real world empty F250

Yeah my guess was 15 or so. Speed obviously is a factor a 67mpg I can get 19-22mpg with my tires. 75-80 is more like 15-17mpg. But the tremor is also running 35s.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Just built mine.
STX with every tow option available for the non-diesel. (including the 5th wheel hitch)
I'd love to see the estimated cargo capacity

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I was thinking the 4.30 gears would suck, but you reminded me that that tremor has 35's. 4.30's with the 35's and the .63:1 10th gear would probably run really nice actually. You would still have to be doing 77 mph to hit 2000 rpm in 10th.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was thinking the 4.30 gears would suck, but you reminded me that that tremor has 35's. 4.30's with the 35's and the .63:1 10th gear would probably run really nice actually. You would still have to be doing 77 mph to hit 2000 rpm in 10th.
I built one on line and I think you can build it with 3.55. Maybe it’s a glitch but I had the tremor package and 3.55s on my build sheet. The torque curve is similar to the ecoboost so 3.55 should be good for a ton of weight.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts