F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a used Platinum that will pull a camper maybe 10x/year. The camper is only 5000lbs but we may upgrade at some point to a 7500lb trailer. The best deal I’ve found in my budget is a 2013 and has the 3.31 gear ratio. I know the 3.55 or 3.73 tow better but as these aren’t huge trailers would I be fine? I don’t drive in a hurry but I don’t want to stress the pickup unnecessarily. I live at 4500 ft and camp in the mountains at 9000 ft. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
525 Posts
Not ideal but your could always drop another gear. Or regear it if the deal is too good to pass up?

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
128 Posts
No amazing deals in 2022 but the best from Colorado to Montana right now. 2013 Platinum, truly excellent condition, 121,000 miles, $23,000.
My 16 has 3.31s with 35" tires so i am significantly more disadvantaged than stock and I tow a lot. The only time I actually have run into issues is taking the boat to the beach about 3 hours away. Fully loded its probably 4000. But I constantly pull a tandem dump trailer 30 45 minutes, and I have had that thing loaded over the sides with cut pine trees. Just remember, RPMs are your friend, boost is your enemy, make the rpms do the work and don't get caught dumping 15psi of boost in at 1600 rpms trying to get up a hill or you will overheat. Once i figured that out i dont think ive been in limp mode since. Also, replace the thermostat with a 180 or 170 for 50 bucks and you will notice a big difference. I lock 5th gear out when I am loaded heavy sometimes, but you prolly wont need to go quite that far with stock tires.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
I am looking to purchase a used Platinum that will pull a camper maybe 10x/year. The camper is only 5000lbs but we may upgrade at some point to a 7500lb trailer. The best deal I’ve found in my budget is a 2013 and has the 3.31 gear ratio. I know the 3.55 or 3.73 tow better but as these aren’t huge trailers would I be fine? I don’t drive in a hurry but I don’t want to stress the pickup unnecessarily. I live at 4500 ft and camp in the mountains at 9000 ft. Thanks for your help!
7500 is a huge trailer for a half-ton. Especially in thin air.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
No amazing deals in 2022 but the best from Colorado to Montana right now. 2013 Platinum, truly excellent condition, 121,000 miles, $23,000.
It's the condition of the engine you should worry about. Service records ?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
My 16 has 3.31s with 35" tires so i am significantly more disadvantaged than stock and I tow a lot. The only time I actually have run into issues is taking the boat to the beach about 3 hours away. Fully loded its probably 4000. But I constantly pull a tandem dump trailer 30 45 minutes, and I have had that thing loaded over the sides with cut pine trees. Just remember, RPMs are your friend, boost is your enemy, make the rpms do the work and don't get caught dumping 15psi of boost in at 1600 rpms trying to get up a hill or you will overheat. Once i figured that out i dont think ive been in limp mode since. Also, replace the thermostat with a 180 or 170 for 50 bucks and you will notice a big difference. I lock 5th gear out when I am loaded heavy sometimes, but you prolly wont need to go quite that far with stock tires.
A boat and a dump trailer is not the same as towing a sail like a travel trailer.
Also, if more than 5000 pounds, better be locking out both OD gears.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've got 3.73 gears in a 13 Eco "maxtow" rig and once I learned how to tow with it, I am rarely in 6th gear at all.. I usually lock out 6th to cruise on the flats towing my #7000 TT.

Up the grades, it likes 4th gear. I have been reduced to 3rd when there is a good head wind and even 4th on the flats when a good head wind hits.. This is just to keep the boost lower and engine temps down.

Stock size tires and nothing down to the engine. Just some suspension and tire upgrades is all.

Basically, my truck likes towing at least 2000-2500 rpms. In 5th gear, that's between 60-65 mph for the most part.

Up the grades in 4th, it's 2500-3000 rpms and going 55-60 mph.

I try to keep the boost <10 psi on the grades, as any more, and the temps start to rise pretty quick. Short bursts of >10 is fine.. Long runs.. Nope..

I could not imagine having 3.31 gears myself, but I'm biased and spoiled I guess.. :)

Good luck! Mitch

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
7500 lbs of travel trailer is a lot of trailer. 5000 lbs of travel trailer is still a lot. Its the aerodynamic drag that gets you. Its not just the gearing but the cooling system and stuff is also smaller on a 2013 with 3.31's(or 3.55s).

If you are towing in the Rockies, since you mentioned Colorado/Montana, I would be looking for an F150 with the max tow package at the minimum or just going straight to an F250 or higher. I say this from experience towing around Utah, ID, MT, and WY with my 2014 max tow truck with 3.73's. My truck struggles in the summer with my 5500 lb trailer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A camper won't be much difference than a horse trailer and I regularly haul 7000 lbs of trailer, horses and tack all over the region where I live. My '14 F 150 has a 3.31 rear end and I have no complaints.
Also often hitting 8-10,000 lbs of trailer + equipment or hay.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
A camper won't be much difference than a horse trailer and I regularly haul 7000 lbs of trailer, horses and tack all over the region where I live. My '14 F 150 has a 3.31 rear end and I have no complaints.
Also often hitting 8-10,000 lbs of trailer + equipment or hay.
Where is your region?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
A horse trailer isn't as tall in front as a TT and not sure it is 8' wide and the front is usually rounded and more aero friendly. Also, just because it can tow 10000 pounds doesn't mean you should or that it can do it safely.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I have a 2015 with the 3.31 gears, 33" tires and tow a 4500ish travel trailer. I start down around 600ft and have gone up to Monarch Pass (11,300ft) and haven't ever had an issue.
You also have a 2015 that has a much larger radiator than a 2013.

He should not get a 2013 with 3.31's and expect it to tow well year round in the Rockies.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A horse trailer isn't as tall in front as a TT and not sure it is 8' wide and the front is usually rounded and more aero friendly. Also, just because it can tow 10000 pounds doesn't mean you should or that it can do it safely.
My trailer is about 7' wide inside and it is flat front with horrible aerodynamics. With the truck rated at 9400 lbs I don't think 10,000 is going to cause catastrophic problems, if I was doing it everyday I would rather have a 3/4 ton truck, but I'm not doing it everyday.

More like small rolling foothills.
Obviously you haven't been to my part of IL if you want to call it rolling foothills.

·
Registered
14’ f150 supercrew 3.5eco 4x4
15 Posts
Hey guy,
My opinion … I have a 14’ screw 4x4 3.5 max tow 3.73 . I have towed a 10k load, my 4500# boat…. My 3000# travel trailer, a 30’ car hauler with a 5k rig on it . My truck is lifted, with 35’s . Zero issues towing or stopping any of it, yes it eats gas up hills like nobody’s business( but so does diesels) . It runs 1-2psi on freeway in overdrive steady, like a few mentioned , let the trans and rpm do the work and lock out 6/5 if you have select shift . But I will continue to tow these items for years and years without a hesitation. Fwiw? A friend has a 13’ non max tow, lifted 35’s 1350# payload , I’m sure 3.31’s and tows a 28’ trailer around 7000#. He gets 14 mpg down the highway towing. These trucks have massive brakes compared to older 1/2 tons, better transmissions. Personally I wouldn’t sweat it at all. But we all have opinions . Btw I do have the 9 3/4” rear diff, max tow and the trailer prep package ( 3.73, tow mirrors, brake controller , and fail safe cooling system . Good luck ! I hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
'13 Lariat tow package, towing 7k loaded TT. Once you understand how to use gearing and tow button, piece of cake. As others have said, gear down, rpms up, I've no problems. Long grades temp Guage almost pegs hot but never boils over. I think it's something in sender or Guage. If the one you want has tow package you should be good. Check hitch carefully, ours cracked on a long trip last year, in receiver area. Purchased at about 100k miles, only done front rotors and oil changes. We've towed over 4,000 miles so far.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Well nobody is getting 14 mpg while towing a 7000 pound camper. Maybe 50 mph on a constant flat for a tank.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts