F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Are you sure? Highway, mostly flats. … nobody gets 14mpg lol.
Not a travel trailer. I am lucky to get 10 in Utah on the freeway. My lifetime average towing my 5500 lb trailer is probably 8.5-9 mpg And the best I ever got was 10.8 with a tail wind

Not a travel trailer. I am lucky to get 10 in Utah on the freeway. My lifetime average towing my 5500 lb trailer is probably 8.5-9 mpg And the best I ever got was 10.8 with a tail wind
I just put a running leaf blower in the bed pointed towards the cab so I always have a tailwind, its science

I just put a running leaf blower in the bed pointed towards the cab so I always have a tailwind, its science
I actually put a sail in front of my face while driving and blow on it. Instant 0.5 mpg.

I'm lucky to get 14mpg without trailer😄
Maybe the lie-o-meter showed 14 before enough miles after fillup and reset to get a more accurate average.
Bummer , my friend tows his 7000# up and down California in his 98 silverado . 9 mpg calculated by miles/gallons as his gas gauge been off for years . On 33” tires. Yeah I can believe a f150 with 3.31 gears only getting 10ish towing same load. But no reason a properly set up truck can’t get 12/14 mpg towing weight . My 2014 grand Cherokee v6 gets 14mpg towing my 4500# boat . My f150 only gets 10mpg average when towing up the grades in California. Flats it’s quite a bit better. Calculated by refill gallons used over miles. Stock lie o meter of course will show less than actual when your running bigger tires without a tune and tire size adjustment.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

No stock lie o meter is right. You can calibrate them though on some of the ford trucks.

Reactions: Boatwaco
I personally would not want the 3.31 for towing 7500 lbs. Half of that ~4000, sure, why not. But the heavier you go the more you may rely on the gears to get you over the hill. The 3.31 will be in a lot of boost on a heavier load. You may have to drop into 2nd gear to get over some grades. This means crawling at like 20-30 mph, then the trans is going to cook on you.

Bummer , my friend tows his 7000# up and down California in his 98 silverado . 9 mpg calculated by miles/gallons as his gas gauge been off for years . On 33” tires. Yeah I can believe a f150 with 3.31 gears only getting 10ish towing same load. But no reason a properly set up truck can’t get 12/14 mpg towing weight . My 2014 grand Cherokee v6 gets 14mpg towing my 4500# boat . My f150 only gets 10mpg average when towing up the grades in California. Flats it’s quite a bit better. Calculated by refill gallons used over miles. Stock lie o meter of course will show less than actual when your running bigger tires without a tune and tire size adjustment.
View attachment 180795
well yeah cause his 1998 5.7L probably wont do more than 55 and the speed limit is 55 in California

well yeah cause his 1998 5.7L probably wont do more than 55 and the speed limit is 55 in California
You are correct on the CA part and the 55mph law. But if your not going 64mph+, big rigs will run you out the slow lane . But no, we tow between 60-75mph in this state. His truck also is a heavy 1/2 ton with a 14b rear and like a 7 leaf pack with massive rear drums, 3.73. The op was asking if his truck will be fine, why do these threads turn into a battle of opinions over who’s truck does what?? What satisfies the internet gods these days ? A live stream of towing and mpg status after a weight of trailer on a official scale ? I’ve been asked for a pic of my yellow sticker before on here holy cow you guys are fun.

You are correct on the CA part and the 55mph law. But if your not going 64mph+, big rigs will run you out the slow lane . But no, we tow between 60-75mph in this state. His truck also is a heavy 1/2 ton with a 14b rear and like a 7 leaf pack with massive rear drums, 3.73. The op was asking if his truck will be fine, why do these threads turn into a battle of opinions over who’s truck does what?? What satisfies the internet gods these days ? A live stream of towing and mpg status after a weight of trailer on a official scale ? I’ve been asked for a pic of my yellow sticker before on here holy cow you guys are fun.
lol.

I tow in the same states that the OP will be towing in and have a 2014 max tow with 3.73’s and only have a 5500 lbs trailer. I gave my opinion multiple times answering the op’s question and I dont think he will be happy with a 3.31 non-max tow truck. Its not just the gearing disadvantage, its that his cooling system is also less capable. My max tow truck is barely adequate.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.