F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 F150.jpg

The 2014 Toyota Tundra is on a multi-month sales expansion. Will the new Ford F-150's advances steal away Toyota's customers and stop its run?

This story is originally reprinted by TorqueNews.com and written by John Goreham, comparing 2015 Ford F150 to Toyota Tundra and their prospective sales.

The 2014 Toyota Tundra has enjoyed a huge sales surge over the past year. However, a new and revolutionary 2015 Ford F-150 is coming in a few months. Will this updated version of America’s favorite truck mean the end of the Tundra market gains?

2015 Ford F-150 Changes Everything
The 2015 Ford F-150 will be groundbreaking. We had the pleasure of hearing Pete Reyes, Chief Engineer for the 2015 Ford F-150, speak this past week. He went through the design evolution of the truck, which started almost 8 years ago. It is clear that the aluminum body is just one of the many things that Ford is about to introduce that will shake up the full sized pickup market. When it arrives this fall of 2014, the new aluminum-bodied truck will also have a new, more efficient EcoBoost engine. Ford buyers love the current 3.5 liter EcoBoost and select it 40% of the time.

New 2014 Tundra
The 2014 Toyota Tundra is also a new design, having been introduced last calendar year. However, it is not the kind of dramatically different truck that the Ford F-150 will be. Ford may be bringing to market a truck with 20% better fuel economy than its competitors. Add to that improved lighting, innovative bed tie down features, and a power tailgate, and suddenly the Tundra is looking a little old, despite being very new.

Toyota Tundra Sales Numbers
When we started reporting that the Tundra was gaining sales fast last year, truck people did not want to hear it. Feedback varied from “you’re wrong” to “who cares.” Toyota has now had consecutive grown in Tundra sales into its second calendar year, and for many months. Chevy by comparison is losing ground. Its Silverado is trailing last year’s sales by about 2% year to date. Toyota’s Tundra is up about 17% on a volume basis year over year.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Interesting to leave out the coming diesel option in the tundra.

I'm interested in seeing what else ford brings besides just the aluminum. The 2.7 ecoboost sounds very interesting but makes similar power to the na v6. It'll be neat to see the plus of the ecoboost vs the na. Given the fuel dilution issues in the 3.5 will we see that compounded with typical problems that occur with start stop technology?

·
Registered
24 Posts
No because when Toyota sells the Cummins diesel engine with 50% more torque and probably better MPGS things will be interesting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting to leave out the coming diesel option in the tundra.

I'm interested in seeing what else ford brings besides just the aluminum. The 2.7 ecoboost sounds very interesting but makes similar power to the na v6. It'll be neat to see the plus of the ecoboost vs the na. Given the fuel dilution issues in the 3.5 will we see that compounded with typical problems that occur with start stop technology?
Direct injection is pretty suckey.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Having owned both and from many comments on this forum the biggest downfall to the Tundra is fuel economy and second competitive pricing.
Once Toyota brings a the tundra's fuel economy to a competitive level with the Ford and Chevy I think you will see a big change.
Most people I talk with, many fellow contractors who own Toyota say the do so because of dependability, even though they do not like the poor fuel economy.
I put 108K miles on a T-100 with factory TRD Super charger, 4" lift and it NEVER went into the shop once in its life for anything besides normal wear and tear items.
My wife has a 13 RAV4 which has never seen the inside of a shop. They build a quality product, period.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
903 Posts
That's one hell of a trash article...

The reason Toyota is better, is because of its customer service...
IMO Toyota produces a crazy reliable product, I've loved every Yota I've ever had....

Dealing with a domestic service shop is like puling teeth, closed on Saturday's, only work these hours, no loaner vehicles, no ****s given...
Ford's customer service is trash...

^^^ This is why they're up 17% IMO

The only degree of separation was fuel economy, the Cummins' diesel engine will level the field.
It likely won't have the HP stock, but it will have the torque and mpg I would suspect.

I'll be very curious to see what the Yota' will do, I'd like to see 30mpg out of them...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
That would be great if that happened and it was competitive with pricing.
Nice post, but for me I find that they are also way off with respect to pricing. They do not offer anywhere close to the rebates that US car dealers do. Mainly just reduced financing which if you shop around you can find at or better at most credit unions.
I tried really hard to justify buying a Tundra or even a Tacoma, but the build price on a Tacoma was within 3K of my F-150. The Tacoma is a hell of a lot less truck then then F-150.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts