81 - 100 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Ya I get dem looks :oops:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
The wife asked me how it felt compared to the F150.... for one its more planted to the ground weighing 2k over the Boost> that's it really....
I found several real differences. Hitch and bed height are probably too high, but I can deal with that. Driving at night, everyone thinks my brights are on, until I flash them back. Steering is more painful, and forget whipping a Ueeeey.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I found several real differences. Hitch and bed height are probably too high, but I can deal with that. Driving at night, everyone thinks my brights are on, until I flash them back. Steering is more painful, and forget whipping a Ueeeey.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Yeah, definitely no U-turns......unless it's a REAL wide sweep
I have the auto high / low head lamps which is pretty cool.
I put a stylish steering wheel cover on and it actually makes one hand operations do-able
I do not have the tailgate step? ( why would you not check that option box! )
If your out camping in the AZ area and you see an OP pull out a step ladder to get to the back cargo area....welp that's meaz-lol
Maybe I need to check a few salvage yards?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Yeah, definitely no U-turns......unless it's a REAL wide sweep
I have the auto high / low head lamps which is pretty cool.
I put a stylish steering wheel cover on and it actually makes one hand operations do-able
I do not have the tailgate step? ( why would you not check that option box! )
If your out camping in the AZ area and you see an OP pull out a step ladder to get to the back cargo area....welp that's meaz-lol
Maybe I need to check a few salvage yards?

Yeah, auto high beams, but they just see all four lights on and assume those are brights.
With the trailer, you won't have these problems. But, I didn't get the in bed camera. I had to add that separately for the 5th wheel hookup. I hooked it to an upfitter switch to swap between the two cameras.
Twenty years ago, I remember laughing at the tailgate step. I have it and would always choose it now, but it doesn't do much once the trailer is in the bed. I also have this:

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,733 Posts
meaz,
Powerboost/Ecoboost not that much of a change. You should stay aboard just to keep rubbing it in to us Eco users! KM

·
Moderstrator
1,862 Posts
meaz,
Powerboost/Ecoboost not that much of a change. You should stay aboard just to keep rubbing it in to us Eco users! KM
That F150EcoBoost.net decal makes his new ride a part of the club!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Sooo, I'm already helping out my fellow F250 6.7 OP's.
I've only had my truck for over 2weeks + and I'm out at the campsite showing my neighbor how to engage Sport Mode on his truck!-lol
It looks like, we'll both be heading out tommorrow same check out time.....and heading back on the same highway / direction> mommas with me so I have to obey the rule of towing ( according to meaz? ) >your either first or your last
Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud Car

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Returned back from Flagstaff....a lot of road construction with very rough / bad wash board roads . Certanly wasn't like that going up.
Trailer was bouncing a little and felt sort of weird.... the wife even noticed, but I didn't give it much thought stayed at 65-70mph. Made it home safe and sound > could have been a very serious situation.
Good news is the 6.7L got 14.5+ mpgs's coming back as we rolled into Phoenix.
Bad news is that after I got home I started to inspect the WDH; chains, bars, and trailer brackets only to find the ball on top of the15+ yr old Husky WDH was ever so slightly bent back and the trailer brackets had become a pinch loose?
Than the kicker....the locking receiver hitch pin was missing the locking mechanism portion> completely sheared off! Pin was just ....well their was no lock and the pin was still in the receiver.
I couldn't believe what I was looking at.
Than the what ifs started to take over.....
Bottom line is that we made it home safe and sound.
Thursday I go into my local OG UHaul with TT in tow to have a complete F250 towing speced replacement system> going with a Curt WDH w/ Sway Control.
Than friday we head back up the hill for a 2 week 4th of July camp trip
I'm a lucky man.....

Wood Tool Bicycle part Hardwood Household hardware
Hat Human Beard Headgear Publication

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Coulda been real bad. I reckon it was all the buckin and so forth ?

·
Moderstrator
1,862 Posts
It's really a sobering thought that all of that weight, no matter how well we load the trailer from front to rear, no matter how well we set up the WDH, no matter how we adjust the truck's suspension - everything hinges on a single pin in the receiver.
I am very happy no one was hurt.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Second tow with the 6.7L up 7500'+ above sea level 6-7% grades starting out in Phoenix temps in the 105°range....ABSOLUTELY no truck issues. I registered another 10.5-11mpg towing up hill for 2.5 hrs.
That being said....
I don't know if you've ever had a bad day setting up camp, well it was a first for me.
I have a pull through site where I'm sandwiched between a Prevost & a large 5th wheel and ( everybody seemed to be out watching the F250 / Outback show?
The site was NOT level; it started to rain, I pulled all the way in wrong angle, backed out tried it again still raining, not close enough to the concrete pad with stares from neighbors, I think I'm level enough so I disconnect trailer only to find the rear of the trailer is like 3' from stabilizers hitting the ground!, reconnect everything, Curt WDH is so new that the bars are super snug and dont want to disconnect........long story short, I really embarrassed myself. I didn't cuss and or throw things ....I felt like a Newbie?> WTH.
This would never have happened with the Boost.
Wife asked me how I thought the F250 did....I said the F150 handled the load better with the airbags; swaybar, bilsteins , etc...> she says I don't think so?
Well I do and the F150 man handled the 9k dry 38' Serta Sleeper-period
The F250 has the overload / camper leafs in back which is not forgiving with the weight .
I swear by the airbags . They just make for an easy level smoother ride-IMO.
That will be the first mod I do.
I used to rule the campgrounds with the Boost serup. Now I'm just another OP towing with an F250 ( Newbie )
Again the park is full of Ford tow vehicles in all configurations
Ohh and @snakebitten I forgot to mention the 10 speed transmission , it is a gem. I get why all the 2nd / 3rd Gen F150 guys love it!

Cloud Sky Plant Building Asphalt

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,033 Posts
🤣🤣🤣🤣

I am SO glad you chose to type that up and share with your buddies. You sure didn't have to and we wouldn't have been the wiser.
But that proves you know you're safe with us.

Oh how I wish a was just a few spots down the way so I could pretend that I didn't know you and........

Id have been putting on a big eyeroll show for your fancy neighbors. Lol (then sat down later on your porch and have a laugh on them)

That F250 can walk that Ecoboost in so many ways. But it's a brand new shiny tool that just doesn't yet fit as well in your hands. You got YEARS experience in the Boost. Fits like a glove. Could pull and back in second nature. :)

So, what was she doing while you put on a show? Lol

·
Moderstrator
1,862 Posts
@meaz93 - just roll in there like you’ve had 3 or 4 F250’s in your past. No one knows any different!
I, for one, would have gotten out there in the rain and helped guide you. Beer in one hand, waving the other to guide you in. But never fully trust a guy standing in the rain, holding a beer and telling you “keep on coming, plenty of room!”.

81 - 100 of 157 Posts