F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
The more I drive it , the more I like it.
Should I have held out for at least a F250 Tremor......that would have been nice. An F350 yeah that would have been cool, but in the end I couldn't pass up the deal on the F250, and the simple fact is I couldn't locate one of those others without being an organ donor?
Will it tow a house....yes it's doing it right now-lol
I can still tow a decent 5th Wheel in the future> I'm happy, especially pulling 23mpg's at 7500'+ above sea level
Can't wait to see how see does going to California sometime.
Cloud Sky Plant Motor vehicle Building

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,141 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
@madmaxmutt ....I've been doing a lot of research and comparisons between the F250 & F350's.
You have the 10.8 Dana M275 and I have the 10.5 Sterling.
We have the same brakes 14.29"/363mm.
Same Dana 35 Spline Axle 60 Front Diff.
I don't have Max Tow, so that's where the heavier M275 comes in with of course an extra leaf pack.
I'm not sure if you have the 3:55 gear set, but I have the 3:31 and again both are a toss up in towing.
Some guys pull heavy and dont mind the 3:31 ( pinch better fuel mileage ); than some swear by the 3:55 ( a little more torque to the rear wheels )
With the Sterling rearend it tends to crack at the tubes near the Diff (easy fix is putting an extra weld on the tubes prior to subjecting it to harsh conditions ).
The M275 tends to spin the bearing under extreme harsh conditions.....
I like my choice. Sure would I rather of had the Max Tow Option> in a heart beat, but minus that with Loadlifters I would not be afraid to tow a 20k 5th Wheel or a 20k Conventional TT.
It reminds me of my 2014 F150 Max Tow w/ Payload Pack vs the Heavy Duty Package of that year.
For me of I ever had the urge to go to a huge triple axle 5th Wheel I'd trade to a Dually.
Changing Diff gearsets is fairly easy so again if one feels the need....
The Camper Package is a cheap upgrade but worth it with the leaf helper and swaybar
10.25 rear Diffs were the standard in heavy duties years back.
Ford decided to upgrade that in house with the 10.5 as a standard.
HD's again went M275 Dana.
All in all a GREAT TOW vehicle. I appreciate Ford going with the 6.7L/ 475HP / 1050#' Torque throughout the Superduty line up
I mean if you want a HO Cummins you have to go with a 3500....but again test drove one and WAS NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL.
The Scorpion is top dog-period.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,114 Posts
I figure that you didn't bring that Ecoboost home and then hitch it straight up to that horizontal skyscraper and set off on a perfect adventure.
Instead, it took assessment, reassessment, research, and some trial and error to get the infamous dialed in meaz caravan. :)

Sure, with that sweet F250 and the Southern Pacfic freight train power under the hood, your starting point is significantly closer to nirvana, but no way do you get to skip the dialing in altogether. Just take your time and methodically address it.

I predict that F250 could be rigged so perfectly that the wife will have to be on watch to make sure you aren't taking a nap!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
You are so right Snake-lol
As I sit "relaxing at the Campgrounds"...I also have a full set of tools with me; air compressor, floor Jack, wrenches ( loaded tool bag ), battery operated impact wrench, etc....ready for anything!
I've been going over / checking clearances of the Curt WDH setup in conjunction to the " Cul -de- Sac on Wheels"....
Tighten this ....adjust that, you know all the NORMAL things you do while camping-lol
This is only the 2nd outing in Big Blue,... and I cannot have that truck and TT not sitting proper!
I mean I've got the F150 Badge of Honor rockin on the 250

·
Premium Member
14,114 Posts
That paint is such a gorgeous color. Pictures don't do it justice.
I know we can't do anything about the sticker on the door jamb, but there are a ton of F250's out there that have been "altered" with various F350 components which literally would have resulted in a different sticker at the assembly line.

My point being is that if your wife became smitten with some fancy 2-story 5th wheel, that sticker isn't necessarily a hard limit on an F250.

Or put one other way, F250's are so adjustable. Big range to work with.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
F-350- ::mic drop::
View attachment 180013
🤣
:) I am comfortable enough in my life to know that I will never need a dually, F350 or F450, so the SRW is quite enough for me. But, if I were ever going to fulltime, you can bet my sticker would look like that one.

·
Premium Member
14,114 Posts
That's you revealing, between the lines, that you envision full-timing as not only including that monster yellow sticker, but needing it too? :)

I can't ever make up my mind. There's boondocking heavy, there's boondocking light, there's glamor camping with the Class A folks and the world class views, and there's "I need to bring my toy(s).........

Full timing means having an arsenal so that I have a bed with me no matter when or where life takes me.

I swear it makes sense to strategically spread the dang RV's out, at least the one(s) that are a job to tow. Keep the big ones in favorite regions and drive to them in any vehicle you want. Maybe tow something light for if you want to travel a little away from the base station.

Yea, I know. I've been in an RV too long. Lol

That F250 would be all I could ever require for the RV's I'd be mobile with.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
That's you revealing, between the lines, that you envision full-timing as not only including that monster yellow sticker, but needing it too? :)

I can't ever make up my mind. There's boondocking heavy, there's boondocking light, there's glamor camping with the Class A folks and the world class views, and there's "I need to bring my toy(s).........

Full timing means having an arsenal so that I have a bed with me no matter when or where life takes me.

I swear it makes sense to strategically spread the dang RV's out, at least the one(s) that are a job to tow. Keep the big ones in favorite regions and drive to them in any vehicle you want. Maybe tow something light for if you want to travel a little away from the base station.

Yea, I know. I've been in an RV too long. Lol

That F250 would be all I could ever require for the RV's I'd be mobile with.
If I were full-timing, I would require double towing :)

• Haha
Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
543 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,141 Posts
What's the humidity at 2pm ?

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
What's the humidity at 2pm ?
It's a dry heat-lol
Around 15-20%...
Its suppose to be Monsoon Weather ( humidity bumps up around 20+% with lots of rain mixed in with high winds; dust storms, etc
Yeah yeah I know....meaz, that's not bad because we ( OP's in southern states including midwest ) see 90% humidity at 90°.
I was born and raised in Iowa than Beelined to Arizona in the 90's.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Over the weekend coming back from my camping trip I easily passed a Duramax on a 7% grade that was pulling a 27'TT at best, not sure what was up with the OP's Isuzu as well as another one side lined with its hood up?
Just a bad day for them.
The day before I hooked up to leave; the wife and I were scouting alternate campgrounds near Happy Jack. We turned into this place called Mormon Lake RV Park......looked like Deliverance!
So we turn around to head back.
Than I see this rag tag Ford Excursion with its front end pointed up and bumper drooping with trailer attached>condition in which matched the truck.
They pull out behind me some distance. I set the cruise to 60 ......I notice in the rear view this mess rolling coal closing in and looked pretty unstable in doing so.
I'm in no rush ( at this time ), but this OP obviously wanted to get up and close to view the nice orange F150Ecoboost.net sticker....trying to keep up and or pass?
They never did-lol
I suspect the Excursion had a 7.3 Diesel under the hood?
All I could think of is.... The Steven King Movie> "Christine"
OP was really pushing trying to draft me..
Fuel mileage for OP had to be brutal?
Never a dull moment!

Cat Organism Font Carnivore Adaptation

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
While the 7.3L was a stout motor, it wasn't winning any races. I remember driving my cousins for a while when my jeep blew up and that thing couldnt get out of its own way with nothing in it or behind it. My neighbor thought I was crazy when I said he should look at ecoboosts to tow his trailer when he was looking to replace his 1996 7.3. I used to always pass him on one of the hills around here, he was foot on the floor doing 35 mph with maybe 8000 lbs in tow.

But alas, he bought a Ram 3500 crew cab 8' bed with the HO Cummins. Loser :ROFLMAO:

121 - 140 of 157 Posts