F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
@SrpRacing ...what are your thoughts on the Bosch CP4 fuel pump?
Add a "Prevent Kit" ( reminds me of the Gen 1 F150 Ecoboost Catch Can Conspiracy? ).
I've been running Howes through her every fuel up.
What say you?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Add a "Prevent Kit" ( reminds me of the Gen 1 F150 Ecoboost Catch Can Conspiracy? ).
What say you?

I have been told many times that the CP4 dilemma was really only a Ram Cummins thing. They were so bad that they have gone back to the CP3 from the factory AFAIK. I don't think Ford or GM saw anywhere near the failures. Although I think GM went to a Denso pump in the current gen, but they have pretty much switched all of their diesels away from Bosch. The 2.8 and 3.0 Duramax don't run Bosch stuff either.

• Helpful
Reactions: stereotype one

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
I was reading where the Bosch System was originally meant to run on European diesel ....the US has stricter regulations, but you would think Ford revused that component?
I think like everything else due diligent service intervals is a must.
I thought Def was going to be a pain but, that's very straight forward and easy peasy
One things for sure....maintenance is way more expensive, but again it is what it is.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,112 Posts
Yeah, I recently purchased 4 5-quart jugs of oil.
I never do that. So I never get to see what it looks like to have an inventory of oil stacked nicely on a shelf in the barn.

But then I thought back to when I was driving my 7.3 and 6.0 Powerstrokes. All that oil on the shelf would be ONE OIL CHANGE. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
What say you?

The kits don’t actually save your truck at all. It’s more so a hope that it reduces the amount of debris that gets sent thru the fuel lines if there were a failure. There’s no documented case of a true CP4 failure and it actually saving the fuel system. It does nothing to actually prevent failure.

CP4(4.2) failures are very rare. As in 1%. Usually only caused by lack of maintenance (water in diesel), and/or being tuned. Few being bad from the factory.

I wouldn’t worry at all. Following the Severe Duty schedule is pretty much the best thing you can do for the truck. Personally, I run 5w40 and change my fuel filter every 2-3 oil change with 5k intervals.

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,415 Posts
The kits don’t actually save your truck at all. It’s more so a hope that it reduces the amount of debris that gets sent thru the fuel lines if there were a failure. There’s no documented case of a true CP4 failure and it actually saving the fuel system. It does nothing to actually prevent failure.

CP4(4.2) failures are very rare. As in 1%. Usually only caused by lack of maintenance (water in diesel), and/or being tuned. Few being bad from the factory.

I wouldn’t worry at all. Following the Severe Duty schedule is pretty much the best thing you can do for the truck. Personally, I run 5w40 and change my fuel filter every 2-3 oil change with 5k intervals.
Follow up question. So are the emissions items really as failure prone as the internet says? Stories of bad particulate filters and costing thousands to replace. I'm skeptical of all the bad Def publicity and thought modern engines were more reliable.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Follow up question. So are the emissions items really as failure prone as the internet says? Stories of bad particulate filters and costing thousands to replace. I'm skeptical of all the bad Def publicity and thought modern engines were more reliable.
I think it used to be a much bigger deal, but I think they have mostly sorted it out and, from what I hear, you can get some pretty stout tunes at keep the emissions systems in tact. They don't choke the engines like they used to.

I mean look at the 3.0 Duramax. They are getting 30+ mpg on the freeway in some cases with full emissions on a stock tune.

Also, I am not sure if the big diesels are doing this yet, but I know the 3.0 Duramax and current gen Ecodiesel are using low pressure EGR's. This is where they draw the exhaust post particulate filter so as not to send all that soot and crap back into the intake.

I had pretty much written diesels off because of the reduced efficiency and reliability, but I am at the point where I would pick up a diesel again if it were the right truck. I had a Jeep Liberty CRD that was pre-DPF/SCR/Urea and it was pretty efficient, especially tuned, but these new diesels are crazy. The Torque is insane, the power is getting really good, and the efficiency is probably better than ever.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
He beat me to it^
6.0s and 6.4s suffered from the emissions equipment. You’ll find some trucks out there with high miles (emissions on), so it’s possible. However, deleting was more-so a must for the life of the engine. They did revise the calibrations and minimized a lot of the issues.

95% of the failures on the 6.7 are from the owner canceling/not allowing a Regen. But recent updates have made it almost impossible to miss a regen. Ford really did step up their game. In some cases the equipment actually helps MPG and extends the life of the engine ( only on the 6.7 ). I know sounds crazy.

There were some faulty calibrations between 2011-2012 that plugged the DPF unintentionally. Something about the steady state and transient state limitation tables dumping fuel on decel.

Like Mass said, you actually make more power with the equipment on if you were to tune it. But I recommend against tuning as a majority of the tuners don’t know what they are doing. The truck itself already makes so much power, safely…

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
It's so tempting to modify , as I dont think I've ever kept any of my vehicles stock. The 6.7L is super stout and honestly doesn't need any tune....back away from the programmer!-lol
The 1050#' of torque.... is really something.

·
Premium Member
7,141 Posts
I have a work buddy with a new 3.0 Duramax Sierra getting 33 mpg hand calculated on a mostly flat 55 and 60 mph highway ~80 mile round trip to work and home.

• Wow
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
I have a work buddy with a new 3.0 Duramax Sierra getting 33 mpg hand calculated on a mostly flat 55 and 60 mph highway ~80 mile round trip to work and home.
Its a really sweet motor.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
What's the 6.7 get unloaded and towing.... No b.s. haha. I don't want to hear "pshh 15 towing 20k".
I'm getting 23mpg's on the highway in Eco/Sport Mode and 11-12mpg's towing the " Mobile Retirement Community" up 6-7% grades> No lie!
I've got the 3:31 gear set....that 6.7L is a Beast.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Ford did a nice job on placement if the oil filter; drain pan, fuel filter, and water seperator.....super easy to service yourself!
I'm on a creeper...slide under the F250 " Nascar Style" and BAM everything done
PS....still haven't sold the F150 Boost. Positive is I still get to run errons> ERR ....wind her up 😊
Still the BEST truck I've ever owned.
Chin Smile Hat Gesture News

141 - 157 of 157 Posts