F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a new Everglades 243CC boat. The boat is listed at 3500 lbs without motor and trailer. I'm guessing the total to be around 6000 lbs. The owners manual lists the max towing capacity at 9800 lbs. I am a little concerned about hauling it out of the water on a steep, wet ramp. The boat dealer is going to let me use my truck to pull it out of the water but the ramp at the marina is flat and won't give me a true gauge of where I will normally launch at home.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
868 Posts
im sure some guys will chime in on this that have towed alot more but i towed a construction trailer loaded with a 4x4 quad and had a riding mower in the bed of my 2013 this past week.
i have the 3:55 rear and was impressed how well it handled the load on hills
gas milage was down a bit to 14.7mpg because it was working and i had my foot in it most of the time but i had no trouble keeping 70 mph on almost all the hills.
as far as pullin 6,000 lbs out of a slippery wet ramp you might need 4x4 or atleast to lock the rear if you have the E-locker

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
IMO, that truck will have enough to oomph to get the job done. Any issues pulling it out of the water will be traction based, no water. I would personally go with 4x4, but then again I wouldn't buy a truck that wasn't 4x4. You may be ok with just the e locker, but why take the risk?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have no trouble pulling a 28' Omega Yachts Sport Fisher with my 4x2 and 3.55s. My launch is not overly steep but my boat is a lot heavier than that 'Everglades' you are looking at. I wouldn't think twice or hesitate to hook up to your boat with that truck. IMPORTANT: My truck does have the electronic locking rear and I wouldn't attempt to launch my boat without it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What options do you have on your ecoboost? Is it a 4x4? IF it is, then you will most likely not have any problems. An e-lock would be essential on a really steep ramp if you do not. Power will not be an issue, like other guys have said - it is all about transfer of power to the ramp that will determine if you can pull it out.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If you DON'T have the electronic locking rear then be prepared to have someone in the boat running its engine to give you added thrust on the pull out of the water. Of course shut the engine off as it comes out of the water. That extra push does wonders.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You should have no issues towing that boat. Your engine will not even break a sweat and you are well under your rated towing copacity. Just make sure that you use caution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What options do you have on your ecoboost? Is it a 4x4? IF it is, then you will most likely not have any problems. An e-lock would be essential on a really steep ramp if you do not. Power will not be an issue, like other guys have said - it is all about transfer of power to the ramp that will determine if you can pull it out.
I have the FX2 package, so no 4x4. I called my Ford dealer and double checked that I do indeed have the E-Locker. I appreciate everyone's input. I can't wait to get out on the water in my new boat!

·
Registered
43 Posts
you will be fine theres a steep ramp that i launch from and i never use the e locker just ease on to the gas and let the boost do the work

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just pulled a 5000# boat two weeks ago...When I was launching the boat all four tires broke loose while backing down the ramp. It was pretty damn steep... I actually considered not launching the boat because I was worried I wouldn't make it out. After a long day of boating, we loaded the boat up and just babied the throttle up the ramp. The tires never broke loose. Needless to say, I was very happy. I have 3.55's & stock Michelin tires. I say as long as you don't hammer it you should be just fine. Keep it in first gear and don't stop until you get to level ground. I bet your truck will surprise you.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
868 Posts
i have never gotten stuck pulling out a boat but with a peg leg i was unable to pull the boat out on the trip 2 weeks ago because i got off the edge of the concrete into the mud a bit if it was a limited slip it would have walked right out but i had to actually lock the E-locker for the first time because it wasnt coming out on one leg !

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Let us know how it works for you! The truck will do just fine!

SPPD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello everybody I am new to this sight, as a matter of fact this is the first forum I have ever joined. A little bit about myself. I live in the Midwest where its mostly flat. I just traded my 05 5.4 Lariat for a 2013 EB XLT SuperCrew 4X4.with 3.55s We tow a 30 ft TT dry weight 6600 lbs. Just wondering if anyone out there has my set up, and how it towes? Any info would be great thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts