F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, I have a 2013 F150 Ecoboost V6 with 3.31 axle ratio, towing capacity is 9,200 and GVWR is 15,100. I'm a near full-time RV'er, and have been towing a 25 foot travel trailer that weighs about 4200 dry for a while now, of course with no problems at all. Now, I'm interested in an Arctic Fox 25Y trailer, it weighs in at 6,093 dry axle weight, 6,853 gross dry weight, and 760 dry hitch weight. I'm a very experienced tow-er, and always use a really good weight distribution hitch with anti-sway, and drive on the slower side. But, we do travel through a lot of mountains.

I'm pretty sure the Ecoboost's power would be OK, but I'm wondering about safety and ride quality. Is this too much trailer for this truck? It weighs more than the truck, and I'm guessing we'd travel with stuff that would bring out GVW to around 14,000 or even a little more. Any thoughts, or experience you've had towing this much? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I don't see any reason why you'd have any issues. You'd be at 2/3 tow rating.
Do you have rear helper springs / bags on your truck?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't...think I should add some? Any particular type or brand you recommend?

Speaking of upgrades, I wonder if I should consider better brakes...

·
Registered
241 Posts
You should be fine just make sure you weigh each axle to make sure your WDH is set up properly. I haul a 36' trailer about 8500-9000 loaded, and added airlift 5000 bags and it rides wonderful. I also upgraded my brakes to Powerstop, but that was primarily because we live on the West coast with lots of hills and Mt passes.

Edit:
Just re-read your post. With hills and weight I would recommend bags and brakes. I really noticed the difference over stock. This last summer I drove from Blaine, WA all the way to Anaheim CA including over the Grape Vine of I-5 and no problems with my set up. I have 3.55 gears, but pulling more weight than you plan too. A pic from before I started modding the truck.

Attachments

Reactions: Soave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, that's a big help! I've got more confidence now...my local Ford dealer says they have Super Duty brake pads (I know, not as good as Power Stop but better than stock), and I'm looking at Firestone airbags...like I said, I know I've got the power, it's the ride and the stopping I was worried about.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
My dealer told me about those pads also. They were like $94 for the front pad purchase. Powerstop Z36 pads are $60. I opted for the entire set and rotors because the stock rotors warped twice in a year and a half.

I haven't seen anything wrong with the Firestone bags, but I went with AirLift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimates. I literally had to run with 0 lbs of air yesterday. The kid somehow loosened the valve in the stem trying to air one up. The one time I didn't have a valve stem tool with me . . . .
You won't be able to do that with Firestones.

These two add-ons along with some D or E rated tires and I feel you will be good to go. I know I am pulling slightly less all over the place.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ugh on the 3.31 axle.. Ha, ha.. I've got the 3.73 axle and am so spoiled with it, I'll never think anything else will work.. ha, ha..

Do what you gotta do and if it works, great..

Good luck!

Mitch

Reactions: parkerbill

·
Registered
84 Posts
My dealer told me about those pads also. They were like $94 for the front pad purchase. Powerstop Z36 pads are $60. I opted for the entire set and rotors because the stock rotors warped twice in a year and a half.

I haven't seen anything wrong with the Firestone bags, but I went with AirLift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimates. I literally had to run with 0 lbs of air yesterday. The kid somehow loosened the valve in the stem trying to air one up. The one time I didn't have a valve stem tool with me . . . .
You won't be able to do that with Firestones.

These two add-ons along with some D or E rated tires and I feel you will be good to go. I know I am pulling slightly less all over the place.
All of the air bags that Air Lift uses except maybe the ride rite bags are made by Firestone. It even says it wright on the bag lol! The main difference between the two would be there bracket design. Either way you can't really go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
All of the air bags that Air Lift uses except maybe the ride rite bags are made by Firestone. It even says it wright on the bag lol! The main difference between the two would be there bracket design. Either way you can't really go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The point was the design of the Ultimates allows you to drive with no air. The Firestone bags do not allow that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts