F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2015 Xlt 4dr and wanna tint the windows. The rear window and back 2 doors have factory tint already. I went and talked with a reputable window tinter yesterday. He said the factory tint is embedded in the glass. He use Llumar tint and recommends 15% on the front driver's door and front passenger door. He also said he would go 20% over the back 3 factory tinted windows. He said it will be a close match all the way around. It cost a $100 extra to go with the ceramic Llumar tint over the regular Llumar tint. If possible post pics of your tint and details to help me decide. Thanks
What percentage tint would you recommend?
Should I pay the extra for ceramic?

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I actually just had mine tinted (re done) two weeks ago. I used the Llumar Ceramic on the front driver and passenger. The rear driver and passenger and rear window, I left factory for now. The factory tint in those two windows is close to a 20% already.

On the front two sides, the Ceramic is quoted to be 15%, but my tint installer said its closer to an 18%. It looks amazing and does reduce the heat quite well. I also had them put "Air 80" ceramic on the front windshield. It's virtually invisable so I wont get a ticket, and helps reduce up to 40+% of heat coming through the windshield. This was an extra $150 but I feel it was worth it.

I may go back and have him put something light on the back two side windows to make them a hair darker, but for now it looks great. It all matches, and the windshield you cant tell is tinted unless you look through polarized glasses for the rainbow effect, which is minimal.

I vote that the ceramic is definitely worth it if reducing heat is your main goal. If looks is your main goal, probably just go with the low-mid grade stuff.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Percentage is all up to you. I’ve had a few tickets for tint here in commiefornia so I opted just to try to match the factory rear tint up front. Told my tint guy I didn’t care what brand or the percentage that I just wanted the closest match possible. Ended up with a ceramic tint not sure what percent. I also added the bar across the top of the windshield. No pics trying to show tint but I like how it came out. It’s dark enough for me during the day but light enough at night to still back trailers up easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually just had mine tinted (re done) two weeks ago. I used the Llumar Ceramic on the front driver and passenger. The rear driver and passenger and rear window, I left factory for now. The factory tint in those two windows is close to a 20% already.

On the front two sides, the Ceramic is quoted to be 15%, but my tint installer said its closer to an 18%. It looks amazing and does reduce the heat quite well. I also had them put "Air 80" ceramic on the front windshield. It's virtually invisable so I wont get a ticket, and helps reduce up to 40+% of heat coming through the windshield. This was an extra $150 but I feel it was worth it.

I may go back and have him put something light on the back two side windows to make them a hair darker, but for now it looks great. It all matches, and the windshield you cant tell is tinted unless you look through polarized glasses for the rainbow effect, which is minimal.

I vote that the ceramic is definitely worth it if reducing heat is your main goal. If looks is your main goal, probably just go with the low-mid grade stuff.
He also recommends the air 80 on the front window. Thanks for the help. I'm also in Florida and wanna keep the heat out.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Not sure where in Florida, but I'm in Central and went to TNT tinting in Orange City. I've had a lot of cars tinted before, and this is by far the best work I've had done.

·
Registered
159 Posts
70% on the front of mine, HUGE difference. I would highly recommend.

He also recommends the air 80 on the front window. Thanks for the help. I'm also in Florida and wanna keep the heat out.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
sbnakx.jpg
Just got mine tinted. Cleaned it up today. 20% tint on the fronts to match the back. I hope that helps you out

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I have Air80 on my windshield and 15% ceramic over the rest.
I live on the surface of the sun (or so it feels) and it's a great investment.

100% recommend you pay the extra for the ceramic tint.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As a Florida resident, I always go with "dark as legal all the way around", simply to avoid problems with any LEO that is having a bad day before I get stopped.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
^^^^^^^agree!!!! 35% in Alabama and really can't see anything at night darker than that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tint does help with heat. The problem I have had in the past is the add on tint doesn't work well at night, you can't see through it to make a right hand turn in the dark. That's why I'm not tinting my new truck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the pic Allicedout! I have the same truck expect 16 and short bed. Getting mine done next week and will be doing the same. Good looking truck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
On this subject, I attempted to tint my own windows on my wife's car using pre-cut 3M film. I will never try that again. Props to the guys and gals who have mastered this art. While mine didn't look horrible, it didn't look perfect either. It's getting re-installed by a professional.

Reactions: Mizzle211

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
On this subject, I attempted to tint my own windows on my wife's car using pre-cut 3M film. I will never try that again. Props to the guys and gals who have mastered this art. While mine didn't look horrible, it didn't look perfect either. It's getting re-installed by a professional.
I've tinted dozens of vehicles, and on my last truck i used the pre-cut stuff from amazaon, Never again, its cheap quality, and its not cuz perfect. Never been so upset tinting before. Don't blame yourself so much. Cutting your own gives you a much better fit. Pre-cut stuff was too long.

·
Registered
49 Posts
All the pic's looked so nice I made an appointment for next week, Llumar Ceramic on the way!

Reactions: mmateri

·
Registered
271 Posts
For you guys with the AIR 80 on the front windshield, I have heard that it looks grainy and does weird star bursts / night glare from oncoming headlights at night. Anyone experience that or is that installer error?

Also, does it make it too hard to see at night to make it worth it? I currently have 15% on front windows to match rear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts