F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could have called this next summer upgrades but will be starting them shortly. Got a new honey comb grill on the way and when it gets here the work begins.
First thing is removing the shutter's, I've done enough freeway driving to know that had very if any impact on fuel milage and besides I need all the room
I can get between the grill and rad. The new grill should allow for more air flow to the rad. and also have my lightbar mounted in it. Lightbar's don't work
very well on bumpers but do a pretty good job mounted at headlight level. Did this with my old 2006 150 with the same type of grill and it worked great.
Also this should allow for enough room for a front mounted electric fan. If the push-pull configuration doesn't work then a new rad will will be next.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Could have called this next summer upgrades but will be starting them shortly. Got a new honey comb grill on the way and when it gets here the work begins.
First thing is removing the shutter's, I've done enough freeway driving to know that had very if any impact on fuel milage and besides I need all the room
I can get between the grill and rad. The new grill should allow for more air flow to the rad. and also have my lightbar mounted in it. Lightbar's don't work
very well on bumpers but do a pretty good job mounted at headlight level. Did this with my old 2006 150 with the same type of grill and it worked great.
Also this should allow for enough room for a front mounted electric fan. If the push-pull configuration doesn't work then a new rad will will be next.
The grille probably wont do much simple because the fans are the greatest restriction. Not saying don't do it, because the honeycomb grills look great, but when you are flying down the freeway at 65-70mph its those two tiny holes in the fan shroud that are the choke point, not the grille.

Are you having overheat issues? The mishimoto radiator made a difference for my truck without a doubt. The 11-14 radiators are just tiny in height and width so even the Mishimoto is not always enough, but on the 15+ trucks they seem to do the job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grill is a bit of a 3 part deal, first there's no way to inset the lightbar in the factory one. My need for extra lighting is big as I spent a lot of time in the hill's here and moose encounters
are a pretty common thing, I have no desire to hit one. Also at my age, 74 I need all the help I can get driving after dark on forest service roads.

Second the openings on the factory one, are more like long skinny slit's and a pain to feed any wiring behind it.

3rd is cosmetic in short the factory grill looks ugly to me, never liked it from the day I bought the truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts