F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here use a winterfront for the rad?
So far it seems unnecessary at -20c, but wondering if the truck would benefit from one when it gets cold(er).

What about covering up the intercooler when it gets below -20? I know colder air is better for performance, but extremely cold air also means worst fuel mileage.

2013 SuperCrew XLT XTR Kodiak Brown Ecoboost 145"WB 302A package, Max Tow package

·
Registered
373 Posts
I haven't covered the rad ever in this truck, it's on it's 3rd sask winter now. But you don't want to block the intercooler at all.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
-20C????
My house A/C is running, right now...this just blows me away. I'm not good at off the cuff F to C conversions, but I think it's in the 20-23 range...aka low 70's F.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-20c is -4f. -40c is -40f

I've been playing around with DashCommand to watch intake air temperature. In the morning it starts off at about the same as outdoor air temp, then warms up a bit while the truck is idling, then cools back down close to outside air temp as I drive.

2013 SuperCrew XLT XTR Kodiak Brown Ecoboost 145"WB 302A package, Max Tow package

·
Registered
373 Posts
-20c is -4f. -40c is -40f I've been playing around with DashCommand to watch intake air temperature. In the morning it starts off at about the same as outdoor air temp, then warms up a bit while the truck is idling, then cools back down close to outside air temp as I drive. 2013 SuperCrew XLT XTR Kodiak Brown Ecoboost 145"WB 302A package, Max Tow package
It was damned cold in stoon today too! But yeah I've noticed the temp change from just sitting to moving etc.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
-8c @ 9pm local time in BC Kootenays area

Yeah, we warmed up to that too. We did hit -16*C yesterday (3.2*F in real temps).

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Real? You are canadian riiiiight ? :)
WESTERN Canadian who also could to buy guns and ammo at my local hardware store before those **** in Ottawa ruined things over the years. :mad:

Reactions: OxfordFX4

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Ah. Old school. I get it. I like inches. Only on certain things. Feet too

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Quick, how many kilograms and how many centimeters tall is your wife?

Bet you had to convert from "pounds and feet/inches"?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few stats from this morning:

The conditions;
image-2093313792.jpg

Temps right after starting (block heater was plugged in over night):
image-1622652593.jpg
(Intake 5f, coolant 27f)

Temps after running 7 minutes:
image-3425921884.jpg
(Intake 7f, coolant 115f)
Transmission 0c / 32f

Temps after driving about 3-4km:
image-1148211396.jpg
(Intake -13f, coolant 176f)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oops. Did all the conversations but one... -28c is -18.4f :)

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Oops. Did all the conversations but one... -28c is -18.4f :)

Yes, but look how look the UV index is. At least you won't get skin cancer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't have to worry about skin cancer up north-too cold to go outside even if the sun is shining.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have also wondered about a winterfront. I live in interior Alaska and our temps often fall below -40F. Would a winterfront be helpful?

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
That's horrible weather. I'd be miserable. I'm glad y'all are able to live in those conditions because 50 degrees is too cold for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You get used to it pretty quick. Tuesday it was -42F and today it is about -2F. You'd be amazed how warm it feels. It's almost T-shirt weather!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
That's horrible weather. I'd be miserable. I'm glad y'all are able to live in those conditions because 50 degrees is too cold for me.
Damn right, it's too cold in Houston right now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts