F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey how's it going! I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself and ask for some help at the same time!

i have a 1962 Ford F100 unibody and under the hood a 2011 ford 3.5 liter TT v6

i have Been building trucks for years as far as fabrication and suspension goes but this is my first performance undertaking. I have the entire engine swap out of the f150, and the stock wiring for the engine as well as the computer, I need to know the best way to wire this thing up in detail and be able to use my sct programmer to load custom tunes and be able to get this thing to run right. I believe it's the first of its kind and its got go to SEMA this year so we are just opening up the throttle on the build

Some of the basics for an idea of what were doing

Completely redesigned sheet metal body, chopped, sectioned, leaned forward, custom body lines, fenders, roll pans, tailgate skin, hood opening, radiused doors factory glass retention etc.
Hand built 2x4 chassis, one off front suspension using ART Shockwaves
4 link rear w/ sway bar
turbos are turbonetics t3's
turbosmart bov
turbosmart wastegates
gsp intercooler, oil cooler, trans cooler.
sct programmer
winters quick change ford 9in
Wilwood big brake

don't even know where to start really, do I have a harness built from scratch, use pieces of the factory harness, use a stand alone system, there are no painless or ezwire options yet, I'm just lost on the best way to attack this process as it is my first wiring and performance rodeo, finishing up sheet metal work now before I tore into the engine wiring and was looking for some guru help or a push in the right direction of maybe who to talk to professionally, thanks for all your help and feel free to ask questions, here are some pics so u know what I'm working with!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Altough I can provide you any information for wiring it up! I can however appreciate a build like this and you'll pave to the way for future build projects that involve the 3.5L TT!! Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
NICE! Are those Air Ride Technologies bags on the corners?

Woopsie, just re read the equipment list. Of course they are ART Bags! Got to participate in one of their track days a few years ago. Great company run by some really smart people who know how to make things happen!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any update on this project? How much of the F150 Ecoboost wiring and control module system bits did you get with the motor?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Hahaha. I've helped on a couple rods with modern drivetrains. The new wiring is such a pain in the ass it's barely worth it for the cool factor. It can be done but if you don't have a way to simplify the system with a different wiring harness or figure out how to pretty much wire everything from the donor system, its nothing but headaches. Pics of the 5.0?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, very difficult to make a 3.5L Ecoboost run in anything but the F150 it came in. Sale at $9K was good deal for you, difficult to sell as everyone has the same issue with attempts to make it run.

·
Registered
805 Posts
DI motors are not ready for aftermarket ECU just yet, there's a couple out there recently but like $20K for them.
You could have put a Mustang intake on there and converted to PI but it's a very high compression motor for FI and PI, the DI setup helps cool the cylinder temps quite a bit.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Did anyone ever see this project finished? The thread was started in June and he said it had to go to SEMA (last year) which means they only had about 4 months to have it done.

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
He's currently trying to sell the engine/harnesses. I guess he either scrapped the project, or went a different route. Bummer... :/

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
That's too bad. I wonder what they ended up doing with it. I love the lines of those old F-100's.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Those F trucks look sweet when they're redone. I was thinking about throwing an eco into a Fox body Mustang to see what this motor does for something that only weighs 3200# or so.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Those F trucks look sweet when they're redone. I was thinking about throwing an eco into a Fox body Mustang to see what this motor does for something that only weighs 3200# or so.
I want to build a 04+ ranger pre-runner with a built Eco in it! >:]

I can see the rooster tails now...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Too bad he gave up. I am not sure what trans he was using, but the 6R80 that comes with the 3.5L Ecoboost makes a great package. Anyone know if he has sold the engine and wiring?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
One of the shows on power lock is putting an ecoboost into a 50's ford truck. I will be interested in how they get past the wiring, the bcm, and other parts to make it work. Oh and who writes the tune to tie it all together.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
One of the shows on power lock is putting an ecoboost into a 50's ford truck. I will be interested in how they get past the wiring, the bcm, and other parts to make it work. Oh and who writes the tune to tie it all together.
Yeah, did you notice they are wanting to mate it to a manual trans?

I predict epic fail, but we'll have to wait and see...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ya they have something up their sleeve. I'm thinking some of the hard parts they are going to have to go custom, but they do have access to some pretty good companies, be cool to see where it goes. If they make it work I think it will be very cool.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Ya they have something up their sleeve. I'm thinking some of the hard parts they are going to have to go custom, but they do have access to some pretty good companies, be cool to see where it goes. If they make it work I think it will be very cool.
No doubt I'm rooting for them, but I've also read of the previous failures some have had...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
15 Participants
Hopper20
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing