F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some help here guys... just had my 2011 into the dealer for the brake vacuum booster recall. While there, had them do the BG transmission flush and tranny recall (reprogram.)

Soon as I put it in gear to leave the place heard a new foreign sound... sounds like woody the woodpecker is under the hood bagging away til I hit about 2k rpm.

Any thoughts as to what it might be?

Edit: only occurs at cold start...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Can’t seem to get your video to play but I would guess, given what they did, that they left the sound dampener off of the HP fuel pump?
Would that be the foam piece under the engine cover? I always wondered what that was

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Well, had to go look real quick but the sound dampener is still in place on the high pressure fuel pump.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Will try to get video to play at home. Perhaps it’s the dreaded timing chain/phaser issue? I have it as well as many others.
I’m pretty sure it’s not the timing chain. I’ve had mine rattle a time or two but so far it has net become an everyday occurrence.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Bump/Update...

The “noise” continues to be an every-time-after-cold-soak occurrence. The plot has thickened with another awfully coincidental symptom of the 4wd acting up... grinding and/or claiming to be in 4low... if engaged at the same time... following cold start.

4wd seems to be fine when the truck is hot.

Also kicking like a pissed off mule into 2nd and 3rd while cold. Im thinking surely the tranny relearn is far enough along that she should be shifting appropriately by now.

So I took it back to the dealer... told them what I’d observed and that I suspected a vacuum issue due to the 4wd engagement problem.

Their response, “can’t duplicate and no codes.” Gotta love it!

Discussion starter · #9 ·
A new development. Checked transmission fluid level Saturday to find a dry dipstick. On a side note, it’s quite evident that Ford doesn’t think we should be checking this fluid regularly, but I digress!

Took back to dealer, they have to add 2qts to get it full, no signs of leaking... they admit to under filling the transmission while servicing (nearly 3000 miles back) and the “woodpecker” has seemingly been evicted.

This would imply that the noise I posted about originally was a starved transmission pump that got quieter as the fluid warmed up and levels rose.

the question now... what got ruined in the process? Is my pump a goner? Do I demand a new transmission (as if it’s that’s simple?)

Thanks for the update!

I'm starting to believe these zero-service (you know what I mean) transmissions we have are often the source of strange behavior we have reported on this forum.

Your report lines up with a couple of recent posts about trucks behaving strangely at low throttle inputs while cruising, as one other example. And the remedy turned out to be a normal servicing of transmission fluid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #11 ·
I can attest that they sure do behave strangely when short on fluid.

To your point, I can’t remember when it behaved so well (likely a while back) as it does now being fully topped off with nice clean fluid.

Time will tell if the pump is now toasted... sure is messing with me as I try to decide if I’m imagining whether it sounds like it should or not. Guess I just need to turn the tunes back up and enjoy the ride!

We run the same transmission in our vehicles at work, it has to be filled to the right level and the right temperature when filled or it can be under or over filled. These are a joint venture from ZF and ford and GM use them GM just uses a different pan. These are great transmission and can take a lot of abuse, but can also be quirky. Shifting is all done by phasing one gear out and phasing another gear n using PWM signals to the solenoids. There are no sprags to destroy that’s what makes them shift weird without proper fluid level. Did you ruin it only time will tell, but I doubt it. When the connector sleeve leaks I’ve seen lots of people go years before fixing it only the ones that drive till a light comes on are the ones that burn up a clutch pack

Need some help here guys... just had my 2011 into the dealer for the brake vacuum booster recall. While there, had them do the BG transmission flush and tranny recall (reprogram.)

Soon as I put it in gear to leave the place heard a new foreign sound... sounds like woody the woodpecker is under the hood bagging away til I hit about 2k rpm.

Any thoughts as to what it might be?

Edit: only occurs at cold start...

Use synthetic oil/Filter
Use the highest octane available in your area.
Believe me it's worth it and it might just make the engine sound better and very good gas mileage.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Use synthetic oil/Filter
Use the highest octane available in your area.
Believe me it's worth it and it might just make the engine sound better and very good gas mileage.
Check, check and check... running mobil1 extended performance, motor craft filter and 91 ethanol free.

It was a lack of 2qts of transmission fluid causing the racket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.