F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have '12 and had wrench indicator light up on dash and throttle response is immediately killed, engine still runs but no acceleration and no change in RPM. Kinda scary running down interstate hwy. once I pulled over engine begins rough idle. I turn off and restart and everything is okay. Any suggestions on root cause? Dealer don't know.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If you have the wrench then the dealer should be able to pull the code that was thrown and give you a cause. Sounds like possible condensation issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Been to dealer twice and they think it's something to do with throttle body but don't really know.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Theirs a member in here....can't remember his handle, but the dealer replaced his throttlebody and it eliminated the rough idle/shakes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had this happen to me twice now. Driving to work, 5 mile drive and all of the sudden I start hearing a funny noise from the turbo and then wrench light comes on. I think it went into limp mode because the truck had no power. Turned the truck off and back on and the problem went away. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't replicate and then about two weeks later it did it to me again. I got a video this time that I will show to the dealer when I take it in next time. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have had this happen to me twice now. Driving to work, 5 mile drive and all of the sudden I start hearing a funny noise from the turbo and then wrench light comes on. I think it went into limp mode because the truck had no power. Turned the truck off and back on and the problem went away. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't replicate and then about two weeks later it did it to me again. I got a video this time that I will show to the dealer when I take it in next time. Any ideas? Thanks
I'm glad you were able to capture it on video, Flyboygsxr. Do you have plans to head in to the dealer soon? What's your truck's model year/mileage? I'll investigate some options to assist.

Crystal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Crystal,

I took it into the dealer but when they checked for codes they didn't find anything. They did perform a TSB for a steering rack recalibration. My truck is a 2013 FX4 Ecoboost with 40k miles on it now. It has been to the dealer two times for this now but they say they can't do anything unless it happens to them while they are driving the truck. I like my dealership and they have been good to me so far but even with the video they couldn't do anything. It is definitely something with the engine and I suspect with the turbo system. Every time before it throws the wrench light and goes into limp mode the turbo and waste gate will start to make an abnormal noise.

Adam

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Crystal,

I took it into the dealer but when they checked for codes they didn't find anything. They did perform a TSB for a steering rack recalibration. My truck is a 2013 FX4 Ecoboost with 40k miles on it now. It has been to the dealer two times for this now but they say they can't do anything unless it happens to them while they are driving the truck. I like my dealership and they have been good to me so far but even with the video they couldn't do anything. It is definitely something with the engine and I suspect with the turbo system. Every time before it throws the wrench light and goes into limp mode the turbo and waste gate will start to make an abnormal noise.

Adam
Thanks for the update, Adam. Let's get these symptoms on the radar of your regional customer service manager. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest.

Crystal

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the same thing on my 2013 F150. Wrench pops up and truck goes to idle. Pull over and stop and engine runs really rough. Turn it off and back on and it's ok. Has anyone solved this problem? Running down the highway both times this has happened wasn't a big deal - if it happens pulling out onto a busy road and things go dead, that could be another story.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
I have had the same thing on my 2013 F150. Wrench pops up and truck goes to idle. Pull over and stop and engine runs really rough. Turn it off and back on and it's ok. Has anyone solved this problem? Running down the highway both times this has happened wasn't a big deal - if it happens pulling out onto a busy road and things go dead, that could be another story.
TomK can you provide a few more specifics to the situation leading up to the limp mode. as in:
Were you at highway speed and then had to suddenly accelerate?
Were you cruising along at highway speeds and that's it?

Also, what is your mileage and when was the last time you changed the plugs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both times it happened I was just cruising at highway speeds. I have ~80K miles and still running original plugs.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Both times it happened I was just cruising at highway speeds. I have ~80K miles and still running original plugs.
I would seriously consider a tuneup then. Most EcoBoosters suggest changing your plugs every 15,000-30,000 miles (15K if you're tuned, 30K at the longest interval). These GDI, turbo motors have a tendency to eat spark plugs way sooner than the FORD recommended change intervals. Change them with the Motorcraft SP-534 and I would bet that that would address your issues. $7 a plug and 30-45 minutes to change them should fix you up.

Also, it might be beneficial to pull your CAC (intercooler) and see if you have any fluid built up in it. If so then I would clean/flush it out, let the unit dry and then reinstall it. Or if you're so inclined, you could drill the weep hole to clear any possible condensation. ;)

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
If you get the wrench on your dash, that is your "check engine" light.

Pull over, pop the hood, make sure the engine is still there, then take it to AutoZone/O'Reilly/Dealership to diagnose.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
If you get the wrench on your dash, that is your "check engine" light.

Pull over, pop the hood, make sure the engine is still there, then take it to AutoZone/O'Reilly/Dealership to diagnose.
No. The wrench is an amber indicator (warning) that "something" has temporarily occurred and the engine shut down ("limp mode" or "fail safe mode") enough to protect vital components to keep further damage from happening until it can correct itself.
The Check Engine Light is red and shaped like an engine and that means that something is wrong and needs to be addressed immediately.

edit: the CEL is amber, not red as I previously stated.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
No. The wrench is an amber indicator (warning) that "something" has temporarily occurred and the engine shut down ("limp mode" or "fail safe mode") enough to protect vital components to keep further damage from happening until it can correct itself.
The Check Engine Light is red and shaped like an engine and that means that something is wrong and needs to be addressed immediately.
Check engine light looks like an engine, but it's amber.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Check engine light looks like an engine, but it's amber.
DANGIT! Can we split the difference and classify it as amberish-red??? LOL

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The wrench on mine indicates a problem with the 4x4 system, according to my owners manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, so I had the wrench light/limp mode happen once a couple weeks ago, and then three times in the last week. Changed plugs last night - used Motorcraft SP-534. Also went through a throttle position reset sequence that I found on this site. Definitely feels different. If I don't post here again, this corrected the issue. If it happens again, I'll be back. Thanks for the input. I'll be changing more frequently now.

·
Banned
508 Posts
Ok, so I had the wrench light/limp mode happen once a couple weeks ago, and then three times in the last week. Changed plugs last night - used Motorcraft SP-534. Also went through a throttle position reset sequence that I found on this site. Definitely feels different. If I don't post here again, this corrected bthe issue. If it happens again, I'll be back. Thanks for the input. I'll be changing more frequently now.
So - did you happen to drill the 1/16" weep hole in the intercooler? That and new plugs guarantee no issues.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts