F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Elkhart, the major source of the "condensate" is the vapors drawn in from the driver's side head to the driver's side turbo. THAT is what a catch can stops.

Drill a weep hole and have a boost leak if you want. But a good Catch Can will solve the problem (plus the build up on your intake valves ... that a Weep hole does nothing for).
I have to disagree. The condensate that most people, including me, find in their intercoolers is water with a very small amount of oil. This is coming from hot, humid air (think steam but not quite that hot) passing through the intercooler and condensing inside so that it's too heavy to be pulled through into the motor. So what you find in an un-drilled stock CAC is water with a tiny bit of emulsified oil mixed in. The oil in there comes from the PCV system. A catch can keeps the oil from gunking up the intake tract, CAC, and valves.

The catch can captures water, yes, but in much smaller amounts. It collects a lot of fuel (and solves the fuel dilution issue completely... before, my oil reeked of it. After, it's not detectable by the nose, I'm sure a small amount would show up in lab tests) and some oil too. The oil is mostly emulsified by the water it catches. On a somewhat humid (but not wet) day, the area around the weep hole is wet. After several hours in the driveway, it's dry, which means it's all water and no oil, as the oil would not evaporate.

Fuel and oil blow by, and condensation are two different issues. N/A cars have catch cans and they have no condensation issues whatsoever. Port injection, forced induction cars have intercoolers with weep holes (Volvos, for one) and oil and fuel blow by are not as much of a concern on those motors but the weep hole is there for water.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Right now, over 50% of what I catch in my Catch Can is water. I've got 3 years of "collection" through the last 3 years stored in rows of 2qt Pop Bottles in my garage to show guests who come to visit in me (and into cars/trucks) what my catch can is stopping from entering my Turbo system (when in boost) and my Intake (when in vacuum). And, I'm mostly in Boost btw.

The typical responses I get are either "HOLY CRAP!!!!". Or, "I read on the Internet that (blah, blah, blah, blah)". Where I just smile, nod, and change the conversation ...

Winter is by far the worst for water in the catch can - and without a Catch Can, a good amount of it would be in my CAC now. In fact, I have to empty my Monster catch every 2 weeks or risk it overflowing - that is how much water condensation I am stopping. If my Catch Can was not functioning, I would have ingested this into my Driver's side Turbo and into my CAC. I've seen it on guys when I helped swap their Intercooler and they didn't run a Catch Can where I live (I always check to see what surprises are in the CAC). And, as I stated earlier, I did not have any when I swapped my CAC after 18 months of running with my Catch Can.

But, I am not going to get into the Catch Can vs Weep Hole debate. If a person wants to drill a hole into their CAC as a "fix", and introduce a boost leak , go for it. Just remember that if drilling the hole was the correct permanent fix, Ford Engineers would probably have recommended it to the "bean counters" at Ford. Definitely cheap enough.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Please excuse the "typos" ... **** .Net won't let me EDIT the typos.

·
Banned
508 Posts
As discussed in the past, Ford cannot do the weep hole from the factory due to EPA regulations. An oily water mixture cannot be introduced to atmosphere from the factory. In any case, there is tons of data to support the weep hole and it's reliability.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I don't think there is any physical data but just the fact of all the people that have done it have never complained of Condensation induced misfires or wrench indicators after doing it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The catch can is is for oil / pcv vapors. That doesn't blow out spark- never causes misfire.

condensate is produced in the intercooler.... even Ford admits this. The only way to get rid of it is the weep hole.

Grim reaper never sees it because it is passing through spark... and its not enough to blow out. In time, there will be a condensate misfire. Why chance it? Why would you want to accelerate one day and experience this misfire? Not worth the risk. The weep hole has been done by the majority for years and absolutely no issues reported.
Nothing wrong with a weep hole but why are so convinced that eventually every ecoboost truck is going to get condensation? Lots of people are doing just fine completely stock.

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Nothing wrong with a weep hole but why are so convinced that eventually every ecoboost truck is going to get condensation? Lots of people are doing just fine completely stock.
Yep. No weep hole, 42,000+ miles, and has NEVER stuttered once.

·
Banned
508 Posts
The reason this weep hole is so important is because nobody knows when the engine will have a condensate induced misfire. I can understand someone never having it over X miles and "confident" they don't have the issue. This weep hole is free, safe insurance to guarantee that you never have an issue due to condensate misfire. Why risk it?

·
Administrator
7,836 Posts
The reason this weep hole is so important is because nobody knows when the engine will have a condensate induced misfire. I can understand someone never having it over X miles and "confident" they don't have the issue. This weep hole is free, safe insurance to guarantee that you never have an issue due to condensate misfire. Why risk it?
As much as everyone disagrees with Elkhart, this statement is nothing but FACTS.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
As discussed in the past, Ford cannot do the weep hole from the factory due to EPA regulations. An oily water mixture cannot be introduced to atmosphere from the factory. In any case, there is tons of data to support the weep hole and it's reliability.
Oily Water? Sounds like the condensed vapors from the Driver's Side Head that enters the Driver's Side Turbo like I mentioned earlier ... NOT the humidity from the "hot side" condensing in the Intercooler that you mentioned.

BTW, if you were correct about your theory, then EVERY turbo vehicle with an intercooler should have this same problem. But funny, I never see "drilling a hole in the Intercooler" as a solution on those other Turbo Vehicle websites? Of course the other Turbo Vehicles don't necessarily have the same PCV/vent head to turbo issues like the Fold Ecoboost, and which a good dual valve Catch Can (or Full Race's Catch Can) fix (plus other issues related to the coking of the Intake Valves).

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Oily Water? Sounds like the condensed vapors from the Driver's Side Head that enters the Driver's Side Turbo like I mentioned earlier ... NOT the humidity from the "hot side" condensing in the Intercooler that you mentioned.

BTW, if you were correct about your theory, then EVERY turbo vehicle with an intercooler should have this same problem. But funny, I never see "drilling a hole in the Intercooler" as a solution on those other Turbo Vehicle websites? Of course the other Turbo Vehicles don't necessarily have the same PCV/vent head to turbo issues like the Fold Ecoboost, and which a good dual valve Catch Can (or Full Race's Catch Can) fix (plus other issues related to the coking of the Intake Valves).
The reason catch cans collect water, especially in the winter is because of the temp differential of the vapours coming out of the engine and then condensing in the much cooler catch can and long run of lines.
The water moisture in the CAC is completely unrelated to the PCV/clean-side, however it's the same theory... the hotter charged air produces condensate when cooled at the CAC and pools up when truck is not in boost, then gets sucked up in a large quantity when you hammer on it.
Again, not all trucks in all climates are prone to this.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Noodles, actually if you look at the line from the head to the turbo, this is a major source.

And yes, winter will produce more than summer. But summer also produces some. But, usually this condensate is an accumulation from the day the person first started driving ... and if they owned it a few years, then it is a few years of accumulations.

In spite of Elkhart's claim there is no real data on this. But, given the few people I have helped swap their Intercoolers (and the first thing I check is their CAC we pull), the mixture is basically the same "milky crud" that I have accumulating in all my 'catching' over the last 3 years. Not "clean, clear water" if it was strictly humidity.

As I said, I would install a Catch Can first ... and see if that cures the problem (plus other problems too). If there still is water accumulating, THEN drill a hole.

AND, as others have mentioned, I would recommend driving with the hole plugged with a screw, and just occasionally "blow out" the crap. I feel it is just wrong to introduce a boost leak (especially when so many people are attempting to increase their boost ... not reduce it). I would rather fix the problem (and it is my experience that a Catch Can does) ...

And if it doesn't, then I'll swap over to the Full-Race CAC where the blow off valve solves that problem.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
OHHHH I get it. You actually care about our safety. And it has nothing to do about bashing the ecoboost.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
There won't be years' worth of water accumulation in the CAC, as it'll get sucked up pretty much every time you're heavy on the throttle.
The next question for this theory is: How many ppl with catch cans still have water come out of the weep hole? The answer should provide the evidence.
Mine is bone dry but has been since new.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I still get moisture out of the hole. Even with a UPR mega set up with dual vac source at each turbo.

The biggest issue I see is that the OEM and many other coolers are set up with the charge pipe pulling from the very bottom of the cooler. If the line came off the end tank up high we would likely never ever see this problem as prevalent as we do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So in other words, I'm going to drill the hole because I currently don't have a catch can. Cool beans. Problem solved! By the way, why would you need the minimal if any, amount of boost that is possibly being lost from the 1/16" hole?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Banned
508 Posts
So in other words, I'm going to drill the hole because I currently don't have a catch can. Cool beans. Problem solved! By the way, why would you need the minimal if any, amount of boost that is possibly being lost from the 1/16" hole?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
No - you are drilling the hole so that the intercooler condensate has a way to get out before it blows out spark. Catch can systems are for a completely separate problem that all DI / turbo engines face. The catch can is an optional modification.... personally I would not do one.

there have been many tests performed showing that there is no issue with this. Go to all the forums and you can see that the masses have drilled this weep hole. I even drilled one in my Taurus SHO and has been that way for 25k miles now. The car runs better than it ever has.... just waiting for the cold start rattle to show up and then I will trade it in.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
List the other Forums and post links Elkhart.

Or it's all BS.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
And by other forums, I mean OTHER turbo cars (not more F150s)... because this would have to be a very common problem with every turbo vehicle made based on your theory.

I do know the most other turbo car forums do many posts on Catch Cans ... and not because of PCV Issues.

·
Banned
508 Posts
Again, problem is amplified on the f150 due to intercooler design. Every f150 forum has a sticky.... ecoboost stutter/misfire.

Grim Reaper - can you produce results that the weep hole hurts an ecoboost? Can you prove it doesn't stop misfires?

41 - 60 of 73 Posts